How to Find Happiness With LiFePO4 (Lithium-Ion) Batteries - Solacity article

• 1 month later...

Thank you John, that answered several questions I had on my list to track down and a whole bunch more on top of that. Now the thread about venting the battery box is making sense as to why it should be considered important. 

From that article, it sounds like the battery box would be better off sealed to the outside, vented to the interior to be allowed to be maintained at the TT's interior temp (assuming it stays between 32-86F)

Your Thoughts?

• Like 4

spacer.png

Albert & Terri Sterns

Paonia, Colorado

Elite II Hull #1125 Standard Floorplan / 2017 Ford F250 gas

4 hours ago, albert said:

From that article, it sounds like the battery box would be better off sealed to the outside, vented to the interior to be allowed to be maintained at the TT's interior temp (assuming it stays between 32-86F)

Your Thoughts?

My thoughts are yes, definitely. I suspect that in a few years RVs will be designed with lithium batteries located in inside compartments or under the floor like electric cars, vented to the inside. There will be no need to access them routinely…. It will be time to get rid of that sliding tray too. IMHO.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 3

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators
34 minutes ago, John E Davies said:

It will be time to get rid of that sliding tray too.

NO, No, No!  Think of it as a "dumb waiter" so that the pizza and beer delivery person can simply drop it off and you can access dinner and beverage directly from the interior.  No more opening the door, no more running out into the rain for the essentials of life.😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

I found the post super informative, thank you for sharing it!

So many of us are upgrading our dying AGMs to the LiFePO4s (or starting with them!) and I have seen references to disabling the 12v input from the tow vehicle.  I've been told that the TV should have a circuit protection (breaker? fuse?) to keep the Li batteries from overdrawing from the TV.  But some have said they didn't disable their 12v  and have no issue.  I *think* I've seen somewhere that Oliver disables the 12v input when installing a Li system.

Under what circumstances/configurations does the 12v input from the TV need to be disabled?

• Like 1

2018 LE2 #333  "the Otter"

2015 Silverado 2500HD

• Moderators

I replaced my 4 AGMs with 3 Battle Borns and did not disable the 12V from my truck.  We’ve been from south Texas to Maine and back and also to Arizona and Utah and back.  No issues.  I would also be interested in the pros/cons of disabling the charge from the TV.  Mike

• Like 2

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• 11 months later...
On 5/4/2022 at 4:28 AM, topgun2 said:

running out into the rain for the essentials of life

I thought that IS an essentials of life!!!!!!!!  

Got you!  🙂

• Haha 1

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DYI’s:  BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DYI’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Timken Bearings, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all.

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

I agree that having litho's under the trailer would have advantages.  On the other hand, if there was a fire, I would prefer they were accessible from the outside where the fire fighters roam.  Even though our Litho's are inherently safe, one still see's Litho's burn on occasion.

• Like 1

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DYI’s:  BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DYI’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Timken Bearings, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all.

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg