Collapsible ladders

John Welte

I did a search on collapsible ladders in the forum and it appears that the 12 foot or 12.5 foot telescoping size is what people are using.   Are you all happy with them and what brand did you get?   I see about five different weight limits (200,225,250,275 and 300 pounds if I recall correctly) and a few manufacturers of these.   The thread that I saw was from 2019.  I am looking for current recommendations on these ladders.   I weigh 200 pounds,  6'1".  Thanks

• Like 1

John and Debbie, Beaverton, Oregon,  2017 Ford Expedition EL 4x4 3.5 liter Ecoboost, with heavy duty tow package. Hull #1290, twin bed with Truma package (a/c, furnace, hot water heater with electric antifreeze option), lithium pro package, picked up November 7, 2022

spacer.png

• Moderators

John - 

A fair number of these ladders seem to be very much alike and simply offered under different brand names.  The one that I purchased has a fabric case and I waited around for a couple of months - using Camel, Camel, Camel to price shop - before I got it on sale.  While I checked to make sure that the one I bought had reasonable reviews and ratings I didn't necessarily want or need the absolute best ladder out there.  This was due to the fact that I didn't plan on using it that often since it would mainly be for emergency purposes while on the road.  Be sure to get one that is at least rated for 25 (I went 50) pounds over what you think the heaviest person's weight that will be using it in order to allow for clothing, boots, and things that might be carried along with the user.

Bill

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators

This thread?

Or this?

I'll look forward to people who've used any of them.

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

1 hour ago, SeaDawg said:

This thread?

Or this?

I'll look forward to people who've used any of them.

I read through the first thread.   I didn't see the second one.   Thanks for finding that.   I do a search on the topic so I don't duplicate questions.   I do my search on my Samsung phone.   Maybe there's more functionality on a laptop or desktop. Thanks again. 

• Like 2

John and Debbie, Beaverton, Oregon,  2017 Ford Expedition EL 4x4 3.5 liter Ecoboost, with heavy duty tow package. Hull #1290, twin bed with Truma package (a/c, furnace, hot water heater with electric antifreeze option), lithium pro package, picked up November 7, 2022

spacer.png

• Moderators

No worries.  I, too, would like to hear some comments from folks who have used them a year or three.

Ladders are getting more expensive all the time. We watch for black friday specials, if we can wait. 

• Like 3

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

I went a different route and am glad I did.  The ladder I carry in the bed of my truck is a multi-position ladder and can be used as a stepladder, straight ladder or leaning ladder.  The transition is done with one hand actuating a large grip latch.  The ladder is made of fiberglas, supports 375 lbs and only weighs 24 lbs.  I am tall so I use it as a stepladder which is quite stable, never touches the trailer and allows me to reach nearly everything on top of my Ollie (washing and waxing the roof included).  If a person is shorter, opening it to be a straight ladder would allow you to lean it against the hull (with padding of course).

When I bought y ladder Home Depot had the same model for less and Lowe's price matched it (think it was $127 plus tax).

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Werner-13ft-Reach-Height3N1-Multi-Position-Ladder-375lb-Load-Capacity-13ft-Type-IAA/1003163580

• Like 4

2021 Elite II, Hull# 898

2018 Toyota Tundra, 2003 Dodge Ram 3500 5.9l SRW

I have the Xtend & Climb 12' Pro Series ladder that SeaDawg links to above. I bought it for house painting. I decided not to bring it with me because it can slip on smooth surfaces, and because it does not meet the stepladder requirement I have for getting to extended parts of the awning. It is also awkward to climb when not fully extended as some of the rungs will be together making for one large step (or a heavy top end). It requires a top rung cover without which the ladder top can be abrasive. 

For traveling, I purchased a Gorilla Ladder:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Gorilla-Ladders-14-ft-Reach-MPXA-Aluminum-Multi-Position-Ladder-with-300-lbs-Load-Capacity-Type-IA-Duty-Rating-GLMPXA-14/310731754?ITC=AUC-131319-23-12140

IMG_0964.thumb.jpg.aade74a3444b452d85cd026c72ff69be.jpg

The price appears to have gone up in the six months since I bought it. I used it to get markings off of the awning and to clean the outside of the Ollie. I have not yet tried to use it to climb onto the roof. I found that having the stepladder capability really helped when used near the hitch and bumper. It splits into two lighter short stepladders if needed, or one taller stepladder, and can be adjusted for use on an inclined surface. As an extension ladder it has a 14' reach.

This ladder stores on its side under the tonneau cover in my F250. It does take more space than the Xtend & Climb, measuring at 43"x21.2"x8.5" (HxWxD). Load is 300 lbs.

It has a different storage requirement than the one Mountainman198 indicates above (shorter but thicker and possibly wider at its base). Weight is the same at 24 lbs.

There is a longer version but I got this one because it fits under the tonneau on its side.

Mike

• Thanks 1
  • Like 4

2021 Elite II Twin #850 "Mojo", 2020 F250 Lariat 7.3L FX4 3.55

I forgot to mention that when I used it to clean the top of the Mojo, I rested the extension ladder on its rubber feet against the side. It did not leave any marks or scratches, but I do plan to use extension ladder covers in the future:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Werner-Extension-Ladder-Covers-2-Pack-AC19-2/100662613

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

2021 Elite II Twin #850 "Mojo", 2020 F250 Lariat 7.3L FX4 3.55

• Moderators

@MobileJoy, I bought a similar gorilla ladder at homedepot black friday special for $99. We both like it, as I can actually  carry it (our little giant is just too heavy for me to move around safel.), and the 1a rating is ok for us. I like the rungs, and the versatility, but I  doubt we'll carry it in the truck because of its size. 

@Mountainman198, I  really like the weight of the Werner you bought. And, that it fits under your cover. I'll be watching for one.

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

We purchased a collapsible and found it too lengthy and too heavy.  We returned it and got a shorter, lighter one that we can use to reach the Ollie roof.  If we need to get up on the roof, we'll use taller ladders at home.

Charlie.

• Like 4

ALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMA

Arizona | 2020 Oliver Elite II Twin bed Hull #617 | 2021 Ram 1500 e-Hemi 4x4

3 hours ago, CnC said:

We purchased a collapsible and found it too lengthy and too heavy.  We returned it and got a shorter, lighter one that we can use to reach the Ollie roof.  If we need to get up on the roof, we'll use taller ladders at home.

Charlie.

How tall was the one that you took back?   I am thinking of a 12-12.5 foot long one.   They weigh under 30 pounds and go to 32 inches when down. 

spacer.png

• Moderators

I have a 12 foot collapsible ladder that I carry in the truck bed when we travel.  It’s pretty lightweight.  I also use it when I wash and wax after a trip.  I also have a really tall one, probably 18’ or so.  It’s heavy!  I use it to clean out gutters and such at home.  Mike

• Like 4

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

1 hour ago, John Welte said:

How tall was the one that you took back?   I am thinking of a 12-12.5 foot long one.   They weigh under 30 pounds and go to 32 inches when down. 

John, I returned the collapsible 12.5 foot and got the 8.5 foot for the road.   I didn't feel like I needed to carry the taller one with me on the road.

Charlie.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, CnC said:

John, I returned the collapsible 12.5 foot and got the 8.5 foot for the road.   I didn't feel like I needed to carry the taller one with me on the road.

Charlie.

Can you do what you need to do with that?   You can reach the top with that I would assume. 

spacer.png

• Moderators

For what its worth - I carry my collapsible ladder in the closet.  A bungee around the vent pipe keeps the ladder firmly against the wall between the closet and the bath.

Bill

• Like 4

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

38 minutes ago, topgun2 said:

For what its worth - I carry my collapsible ladder in the closet.  A bungee around the vent pipe keeps the ladder firmly against the wall between the closet and the bath.

Bill

Bill,  what size did you get and which manufacturer?  Are you happy with it?   John

spacer.png

• Moderators

THIS is the one I purchased back in 2019.

It is a 12.5 foot model with 330 pound capacity.  Please note that I don't weigh anywhere near that capacity number 😁 but thought that the ladder just might be a bit more substantial with the higher rating (I was correct).  I'll admit that I've not used it a lot - it usually simply sits in the closet waiting for a problem while I'm on the road.  At home I use my regular ladders in that they are easier to get to and I don't have to get things out of the Ollie closet.

Bill

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, John Welte said:

Can you do what you need to do with that?   You can reach the top with that I would assume. 

John, I hope to never physically get on top of the Ollie while on the road.  And, the limitation of 8.5 ft. will prevent someone my size and age from doing so easily 🙂.  Yes, I think I can reach all that I need to reach while on the road - the operative word is "road."

Charlie.

• Like 3

Through research online, I think this is the one that John Davies purchased. It seems to be available (order for ship to store or ship to home from Home Depot). Their price is about $150. It can configure in a LOT of different ways -- as a step ladder, as an extension ladder. So the 14' reach is when it's extended out as a straight line, not when it's "A frame" shape. But it's fairly compact. Their website has complete dimensions, so if you have your Ollie already (I don't) you can measure if it would fit in the closet.

Here's the mfr page -- https://www.wernerco.com/us/products/ladders/multi-ladders/MT-00IAASeries/MT-14IAA

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

Oliver Elite II Twin (delivered 3/28/2022)   Tow Vehicle: Chevy Silverado 2500HD diesel "Estrella"

ALARCOFLGAIAKSKYMONENDOKSDTNWYDDDDDDmed.

31 minutes ago, Boudicca908 said:

Through research online, I think this is the one that John Davies purchased. It seems to be available (order for ship to store or ship to home from Home Depot). Their price is about $150. It can configure in a LOT of different ways -- as a step ladder, as an extension ladder. So the 14' reach is when it's extended out as a straight line, not when it's "A frame" shape. But it's fairly compact. Their website has complete dimensions, so if you have your Ollie already (I don't) you can measure if it would fit in the closet.

Here's the mfr page -- https://www.wernerco.com/us/products/ladders/multi-ladders/MT-00IAASeries/MT-14IAA

"Their website has complete dimensions, so if you have your Ollie already (I don't) you can measure if it would fit in the closet."

We get ours on November 7.  I think you're ahead of us.   I am just getting things or researching what I think we will need.   Thanks for your comments. 

John

• Like 3

spacer.png

• Moderators

Just a thought...we might be living on the edge, but we've normally only carried a three-step step stool. It gives us height enough to clean the awning, windows, etc. It's all we used putting eze rv gutter on, as well. It's light, fits on top of a couple cargo bins, and it helps us get stuff out of the truck bed. Even our recently purchased gorilla ladder would take up substantially more room. And weight. 

• Like 3

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

1 minute ago, SeaDawg said:

three-step step stool

I'm 5'7" but I don't think I could even see the top of the trailer to judge if something was amiss up there, let alone work on it, using a 3-step stool. I know that I can't properly deal with my smoke alarm with a 3-step stool in my home, and the alarm is mounted just above 9' -- so, I'm using that to judge. Maybe it's overkill to assume I'll need a ladder all the time, but I also would love to have a more compact and lightweight ladder here in my tiny abode -- right now my ladder is fiberglass and heavy and takes a lot of space. So it's added incentive for me to buy a compact one. 

• Like 3

Oliver Elite II Twin (delivered 3/28/2022)   Tow Vehicle: Chevy Silverado 2500HD diesel "Estrella"

ALARCOFLGAIAKSKYMONENDOKSDTNWYDDDDDDmed.

• Moderators

I agree. Its all a tradeoff. 

We just try to carry the minimum. 

Like I said, maybe we live on the edge.

• Like 4

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4