2 5/16" Bulldog Hitch Available for Oliver Elite II

Dale C

Hi All

We ordered an Oliver Elite II with a delivery date of September, 2022. After reading the "horror stories" on another thread pertaining to the 2" Anderson WDH and recommendations by some forum member to upgrade to a 2 5/16" . I reached out to Oliver and for an additional $250.00 they agreed the upgrade the 2" to the 2 5/16" Bulldog coupler ($800 for the WDH and $250 for the 2 5/16" Bulldog coupler. Below is a portion of the updated Purchase Order.

I just wanted to thank those in the Oliver forum who made the posts about this issue with the 2" Bulldog coupler. Also, it is now an option for 2023. 

Dale

Hitch
• Hitch Option: 2-5/16" Bulldog Hitch with Andersen No-Sway Hitch
$1,050.00

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Dale C said:

After reading the "horror stories" on another thread pertaining to the 2" Anderson WDH and recommendations by some forum member to upgrade to a 2 5/16"…

…I just wanted to thank those in the Oliver forum who made the posts about this issue with the 2" Bulldog coupler. 

@Dale C
Which thread and which posts are you referring to?

• Wow 1

Bill and Martha

2018 LEII Hull 313

2019 Chevrolet 2500HD Duramax

• Moderator+

The main advantage of the 2-5/16” bulldog hitch is to take advantage of the greater towing and weight carrying capacities provided by the larger truck’s that many of us have upgraded to. There is, however a certain amount of cool factor involved as well. 

• Like 6

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

The Bulldog coupler was available on the 2022 models as well.   We decided to upgrade to it along with the Andersen WDH.

• Like 2

2022 Elite II, Hull #1097  Elli Rose 🌹 and she has the solar panels with the 390Ah lithium batteries.  Our tow vehicle is a 2019 Ford Lariat F-150 4wd, 3.5L Eco-boost, 3.55 rear end, with the Max tow package.  Elli Rose also has the street side awning and several walnut and cherry mods on the inside.

TravelMap.png.b89ef2d7bc27b1ea3b58f831ca5bd799.png

As I recall, the 2" Bulldog has a 7000 pound towing limit, which matches the GVWR of the Elite 2, so it's not really necessary to go to a bigger ball. You're still limited to 7000 pounds by the (2) 3500 pound axles anyway. The main advantage of switching to a 2 5/16" ball is if you already use that size ball for another trailer and don't want to buy another tow bar and ball for your vehicle.

• Like 5

Stephanie and Dudley from CT.  2022 LE2, Hull #1150: Eggcelsior.

Tow vehicle: 2016 GMC Sierra 6.0 gas dually 4x4.

Our Oliver journey: Steph and Dud B's RV Screed

Where we've been RVing since 1999:

ALAZCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpg.b96241bad6752dec89d25af6ffbc8d99.jpg

I personally see no reason to upgrade to a 2 5/16 setup, I'm looking for all those "Horror Stories" that seem to be out there somewhere, only 'Horror Stories" are from those who are improperly towing with the wrong setup, that is tow vehicle and trailer are not matches for each other. I find that Oliver owners spend a lot of money on addons just because they have it to spend, not so much because it's needed, it's like keeping up with the "Jones". 

trainman

• Like 5
  • Sad 2

2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.

The larger ball does not wear nearly as drastically as the 2” one when the chains are set tight. I am not sure that can be called a horror story…..  but it is very disappointing if it happens to your hitch. (The real horror is the old style Andersen that locks up and shrieks like demons when it gets wet. They did fix that with the latest sealed versions.)

For a part that retails for about $90 - the same as the smaller one - I think that $250 fee seems quite inflated. Oliver probably pays $50 wholesale, the rest is labor. It would only take 30 minutes or less to replace if the holes in the Bulldog are pre-drilled. I suspect that Oliver is resisting installing these at the time when the frame is built. Does anyone know the reason?

If I were ordering the big coupler, I would definitely check that box, but I would also complain about the excessive cost to Sales. And I would ask for MY removed part so I could sell it.

BTW, if you are going to refer to other threads, please post the link, since most members probably have no idea what you mean. Dale C, is this what you mean?

https://olivertraveltrailers.com/forums/topic/2418-fyi-andersen-wd-hitch-ball-locking-up-or-load-noise/

https://olivertraveltrailers.com/forums/topic/3483-how-to-upgrade-the-bulldog-coupler-and-andersen-hitch-to-2-516/

I will finish by a comment about the Fast Lane tow videos. Those guys used an Andersen hitch for a quite while, and claimed that it was wonderful. Now they use a different brand with steel spring bars.I would like to know why they stopped, does anyone have the answer?

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators

I’ve been towing a lot of years and a lot of miles with the 2” ball.  No horror stories here, either with the Andersen (around 70,000 miles) or without (around 15,000 miles).  If I was ordering a trailer today I would probably go with the bigger ball, just for the added robustness and, as Steve says, the cool factor.  Mike

• Thanks 1
  • Like 4

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

I’ve towed race trailers, cargo trailers, boat trailers, and equipment haulers.  Expensive to cheap trailers I’ve never seen a 2 inch ball on a 7k trailer. Too many cheap 6k and under components for tow vehicles are in circulation along with clueless owners.  Having said that I’m going to pick up my trailer with a 2 inch ball, label me a hypocrite.  

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

• Moderators
1 hour ago, John E Davies said:

I will finish by a comment about the Fast Lane tow videos. Those guys used an Andersen hitch for a quite while, and claimed that it was wonderful. Now they use a different brand with steel spring bars.I would like to know why they stopped, does anyone have the answer?

I do not know why they changed hitches, but my best guess is that both hitches were promotional items provided free of charge. I do believe that everyone on YouTube with more than 100 videos, is doing it for promotional or income related purposes.  And I don't remember ever seeing a "truth in advertising statement" on YouTube. 

Mossey6427090F-5314-45C6-89AB-6F9CEF136484.thumb.jpeg.2b6284fb815b04c364c67e9fbe744901.jpeg

• Like 3

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

• Moderators
5 hours ago, mossemi said:

I do not know why they changed hitches, but my best guess is that both hitches were promotional items provided free of charge. I do believe that everyone on YouTube with more than 100 videos, is doing it for promotional or income related purposes.  And I don't remember ever seeing a "truth in advertising statement" on YouTube. 

Mossey6427090F-5314-45C6-89AB-6F9CEF136484.thumb.jpeg.2b6284fb815b04c364c67e9fbe744901.jpeg

I agree,, @mossemi. A lot of youtubers and influencers get free product in exchange for reviews. I watched a video today from fast lane, clearly sponsored by gen y hitch, but they did say so at the beginning. The better ones let us know they're sponsored. Some don't,  and others have no sponsors. 

Somewhere in the comments, Mr Truck said this, though he didn't specify what he considered to be light or heavy trailers:

Yes, I'm a nerd, and I  read comments.20220308_164245.jpg

• Like 5

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

For those who like to live on the ragged edge like me, with a 2 inch ball, try to purchase a ball mount and ball that utilize the 1 1/4 inch shank.  That pretty much guarantees the weight rating will be 10k or more. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, ChrisMI said:

For those who like to live on the ragged edge like me, with a 2 inch ball, try to purchase a ball mount and ball that utilize the 1 1/4 inch shank.  That pretty much guarantees the weight rating will be 10k or more. 

Ditto to this.   I don’t need the Andersen hitch with my F-250, so I’m using a simple 2” hitch ball (1-1/4” shank) with a rating of 10,000 lbs., and a ball mount with a rating of 18,000 lbs.   The truck is rated to tow 12,600 lbs, with a tongue weight limit of 1,250 lbs. dead weight, 3,334 lbs. payload capacity.  So the “weakest link” in the whole system is the 2” Bulldog coupler itself which is only rated to 7,000 lbs.   I’ve been considering upgrading to the larger 2-5/16” Bulldog, just to have more safety margin, but so far no issues with ball wear or coupler wear at all.  I do grease the ball before each trip.   

CURT 40056 Stainless Steel Trailer Hitch Ball, 10,000 lbs, 2-Inch Diameter, 1-1/4 x 2-5/8-Inch Shank https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08557RHP1/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_NQQ3BH5FK65T43Z8VHQT?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Draw-Tite 45322 3" Drop Ball Mount https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003JID6U6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_D5XDYD3CHP0KZYCFB0ER?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 5

Yes siree  bob a rooski!   I got that that there BIG ole bulldog coupler.   I expect to be attracting buckle bunnies and bulldog bunnies... and all sorts of others as we all stand around and admire that ginormous 2 5/16" monster coupler.  I figure if everything else breaks off the back end... I'll still have my coupler and we can just replace the rest.   I'll never forget the day I first saw a big honkin locomotive... it had a 2 5/16" coupler.   I knew I had to have one too.   I fully expect I'll need the wife to call ahead and warn the campgrounds that we are coming in with the big one!

(I hope I don't end up regretting having fun with this post!   Tell me I can delete in an emergency?)

• Like 1
  • Haha 11

2022 Elite II, Hull #1097  Elli Rose 🌹 and she has the solar panels with the 390Ah lithium batteries.  Our tow vehicle is a 2019 Ford Lariat F-150 4wd, 3.5L Eco-boost, 3.55 rear end, with the Max tow package.  Elli Rose also has the street side awning and several walnut and cherry mods on the inside.

TravelMap.png.b89ef2d7bc27b1ea3b58f831ca5bd799.png

Dave, that is a great post! 

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 3

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Thanks, 

For all your comments. The thread I was referring to was the one John reminded me that I should have added with several pictures of a worn out Anderson 2" ball. My feeling is with the 2023  $8,500 base price increase the 2022 (which we have on order) the price difference was small in the scheme of things. Also, my apologies if I offended anyone. This is my first camper and a learning experience. As I tell my friends I can fly airplanes (I have an Airline Transport Pilot rating) but have never towed a trailer. This is going to be an adventure in and of itself.  

Dale

• Like 6

• Moderators

@Dale C, you haven't offended anyone.

If you can fly planes, you'll quickly learn to tow an easy tow trailer like our Olivers. Seriously well balanced. The wdh is pretty much just to meet truck towing specs, imo. 2" to 2 5/16 is a matter of personal preference,  imo. (Or, cool factor, for some.) That's a decision you'll have to make.

Fortunately for me, we have an Elite I, which requires no wdh with either of our half ton trucks, because it weighs less than 5000 pounds. We've  never needed, nor wanted, a wdh.

I sincerely hope you enjoy your travels and camping as much as we have, for the last 14 years. These 14 years have been awesome, for us.

• Like 4

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderator+
8 hours ago, Dave and Kimberly said:

...I fully expect I'll need the wife to call ahead and warn the campgrounds that we are coming in with the big one!...

If we see you coming, I'll alert the media and we can be cool together.  😉😄

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

So ... If your TV is an F150 and you are pulling an LE2.   The larger Anderson would be overkill?     Would it provide any benefit?     I have the 2" now and no issues other than having to get it replaced due to the moisture related screeching.  (yes that is a horrible sound - like your trailer frame is being ripped up by an invisible monster)     The new 2" ball works just fine,  no signs of wear with about 20k on it.   $400 difference is not a lot of money (in the scheme of things).      So if you were buying a new LE2 and towing with a half ton... would you go to the larger ball absent the cool factor?? 

Thanks in advance,

Scotty

• Like 3

Gregg & Donna Scott and Missy the Westie  -    The Flying Sea Turtle - Hull # 145     Western NC

CTDEGAMDMANHNJNYNCPASCTNVAxlg.jpg

28 minutes ago, ScottyGS said:

So ... If your TV is an F150 and you are pulling an LE2.   The larger Anderson would be overkill?     Would it provide any benefit?     I have the 2" now and no issues other than having to get it replaced due to the moisture related screeching. 

Scotty

IMO the Bulldog hitch is a very good design and will handle loads far greater than design parameters if it’s shock loaded along the axis of the coupler.  Meaning I feel it will be safer during a rear end collision than the normal latch coupler. The real question in my mind is does the 2 inch coupler with the strongest 2 inch ball have enough sheer strength to completely crumple the aluminum a-frame before it lets go (dissipating as much energy as possible). 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

• Moderators
18 hours ago, SeaDawg said:

Somewhere in the comments, Mr Truck said this, though he didn't specify what he considered to be light or heavy trailers:

After reading Mr Truck's WDH preferences, I also wondered how he distinguished a light or heavy trailer.  But that really doesn’t matter as long as I know the GVWR/TWR.  My SUV has a 14400 GCWR and a 8100 lb. GVWR/TWR and it requires trailer brakes if the GVWR/TWR is more than 1000 lbs., a sway control device if the GVWR/TWR is over 2000 lbs. and a WDH if the GVWR/TWR is over 5000 lbs.

My utility has a TWR of 3500 lbs. and no brake's, so I break rule #1 and #2 every time I use it.  Ollie left the factory at a slim 5180 lbs. and a GVWR/TWR of 7000 lbs., so I can add 1820 lbs. of cargo to the trailer.  And following the 80/20 rule, that's 80% for her and 20% for me.

So I think the difference between a light and heavy trailer depends on your tow vehicle.  And in my case, both of my trailers are heavy.

Mossey

• Like 3

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

• 8 months later...
On 3/8/2022 at 3:40 AM, Trainman said:

A:  'Horror Stories" are from those who are improperly towing with the wrong setup, that is tow vehicle and trailer are not matches for each other.

B:  I find that Oliver owners spend a lot of money on addons just because they have it to spend, not so much because it's needed, it's like keeping up with the "Jones". 

Comment A:  We could debate what "Not Matches" means, but for the sake of a brief response, the more you need weight distribution on your TV, the more one has to crank-up the Andersen Chain Nuts.  More chain tension for such proper set-ups results in greater 2" ball wear.  If you are towing with a 250 Super Duty, you certainly would not have much squat and a lot more load headroom on your rear axle.  For that set-up, not much chain tension is required (if any).  As such you would not have much ball wear.  If you have a Land Cruiser or a Sequoia as John D has and GJ had, then seven threads would likely be all you could get and ball wear was in fact excessive on the smaller ball.

Comment B:  Your comment has some merit for some owners.  But as written, it could be considered by most OTT owners to be a bit less than appropriate.   Just saying....

Please take this constructively.  After all you home run average is off the chart.  

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DYI’s:  BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DYI’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Timken Bearings, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all.

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

On 3/9/2022 at 7:21 AM, ScottyGS said:

So if you were buying a new LE2 and towing with a half ton... would you go to the larger ball absent the cool factor?? 

We took delivery on an Elite II yesterday, with the 2-5/16" coupler upgrade, towed by a 2019 Tundra.  I installed a 2-5/16" Andersen hitch today.  Why?  We figured the $250 for the 2-5/16" coupler upgrade, combined with $0 more for the 2-5/16" Andersen WD hitch vs. the 2" (which was purchased online and installed by me to save some $$$$), were sensible insurance against the ball wear issues John Davies reported on this forum some years ago.   

• Like 1

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

Tow Vehicle:  2019 Tundra Double Cab 4x4, 5.7L with tow package

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

• Moderators
10 hours ago, Rivernerd said:

were sensible insurance against the ball wear issues John Davies reported on this forum some years ago.   

It should be noted here that the source of JD's ball wear issues was never identified (to my knowledge) and a number of owner's (me included) have never had a single issue with this kind of wear while using the 2 inch Andersen ball.

Bill

• Like 3

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"