Ceramic Coating on Olivers

Hoosier

I know ceramic coating works well for boats once the surface is prepped properly. Has anyone added a coating to their Oliver? I'm thinking about this one. http://www.modesta.co/product-bc-04-nano-titanium-glass-coating.html I have done a few cars through my local installer in this product, and he seems to think it will make a huge difference in keeping it look as delivered. I have had it on one of my cars for 3 years and it literally looks brand new, sitting outside all day, all year long, in Florida sun. Its not cheep, about $3000 for the Oliver II. It's not like money is no object but time is. 

• Like 3

• Moderators

You might want to send a PM to Forum member - Steve&Betty - 

I believe that they had a coating applied to their Ollie about a year ago.

Bill

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderator+

I have an appointment on 22 March to have a ceramic coating applied to Hull #050 by CGI from Murfreesboro, TN. It will take a couple of days to complete and the will come to Tupelo to do it. 

• Like 3

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

8 minutes ago, ScubaRx said:

I have an appointment on 22 March to have a ceramic coating applied to Hull #050 by CGI from Murfreesboro, TN. It will take a couple of days to complete and the will come to Tupelo to do it. 

I know that OTT recommends to use wax,  but I wonder if a ceramic coating is more durable.   Wax seems kind of 19th century somehow.   I saw an ad for a ceramic coating that is just spray on and wipe off.   It's hard to know the technical advantages of each coating.   🤔

John and Debbie, Beaverton, Oregon,  2017 Ford Expedition EL 4x4 3.5 liter Ecoboost, with heavy duty tow package. Hull #1290, twin bed with Truma package (a/c, furnace, hot water heater with electric antifreeze option), lithium pro package, picked up November 7, 2022

spacer.png

• Moderators

John - 

I almost "pulled the trigger" on having my Ollie ceramic coated a bit over a year ago.  But, after doing a fair amount of research on the subject I decided not to have it done.  The main reason (for me) was it appears that the only way to "refresh" and/or "redo" this coating when it starts to wear is to sand it off 😵.  That was enough to scare me off.

Bill

• Like 3

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators

When my neighbors had their 22'  boat professionally ceramic coated, they didn't "sand", per se, but it was a four day process, with very extensive prep. Lots of  hand work, and chemicals. And rubbing compound, which is sort of a very mild abrasive/sanding. Much of which was removing/stripping old wax, and renewing some chalked areas. (I think their boat was 6 years old.)

It was beautiful at the end. Almost blinding in the sun.

It was "guaranteed " for two years. Can't tell you the end result,  as they sold the house, and the boat, separately,  8 months or so later. They were already voicing some disappointment in the reduced "gloss" by the time they sold the boat, but it sat out in the Florida heat and sun, over saltwater, unprotected and unshaded, on a lift. Much different environment than our ollies.

I'll look forward to hearing Steve's review, after a few years.  It would be really nice to omit waxing, twice or three times a year, as has been our practice. We're not getting any younger... and though  the results of waxing are rewarding,  it's not easy.

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, John Welte said:

I saw an ad for a ceramic coating that is just spray on and wipe off.   It's hard to know the technical advantages of each coating.   

I missed that in your comment.  Sorry. You're looking at diy.

Honestly,  I  think at least 75 per cent of modern waxes and coatings, if specifically designed for marine grade fiberglass,  are fine to great.

We've always used paste wax, with uv inhibitors and a high carnuba content. So, we stay with that. Others have used polymers, and spray waxes.  Paste, spray, wipe on/wipe off. It's somewhat of a personal thing.

This has been a raging debate for decades in the marine world.

Most important, imo, is keeping up, keeping clean, and consistency of product type.

You can read practical sailor reviews til your eyes glaze over.  Or, review marine forums. Or corvette forums. Or fiberglass plane forums. (I'm a self- proclaimed coatings nerd, and I read them all the time.)

My advice is to buy and use a product with good uv resistance, and a shine level, and a personal work level, that you can live with, imo, from a reputable company, like 3m, starbrite, meguires, collinite, etc ., that will remain in business,  and allow you to buy the same product, year after year, and you'll likely be good.

• Thanks 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

55 minutes ago, SeaDawg said:

When my neighbors had their 22'  boat professionally ceramic coated, they didn't "sand", per se, but it was a four day process, with very extensive prep. Lots of  hand work, and chemicals. And rubbing compound, which is sort of a very mild abrasive/sanding. Much of which was removing/stripping old wax, and renewing some chalked areas. (I think their boat was 6 years old.)

It was beautiful at the end. Almost blinding in the sun.

It was "guaranteed " for two years. Can't tell you the end result,  as they sold the house, and the boat, separately,  8 months or so later. They were already voicing some disappointment in the reduced "gloss" by the time they sold the boat, but it sat out in the Florida heat and sun, over saltwater, unprotected and unshaded, on a lift. Much different environment than our ollies.

I'll look forward to hearing Steve's review, after a few years.  It would be really nice to omit waxing, twice or three times a year, as has been our practice. We're not getting any younger... and though  the results of waxing are rewarding,  it's not easy.

"We're not getting any younger... and though  the results of waxing are rewarding,  it's not easy."

I noticed on my last driver's license that I have gotten older compared to the previous license.   Is there any way to apply the wax by some electrical device rather than by hand?   I put screws in with a driver now and not with a screw driver.   Maybe, hopefully,  there's a faster way than by hand. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Care 1

John and Debbie, Beaverton, Oregon,  2017 Ford Expedition EL 4x4 3.5 liter Ecoboost, with heavy duty tow package. Hull #1290, twin bed with Truma package (a/c, furnace, hot water heater with electric antifreeze option), lithium pro package, picked up November 7, 2022

spacer.png

• Moderators
39 minutes ago, John Welte said:

noticed on my last driver's license that I have gotten older compared to the previous license

Darn, me, too. How the heck does that happen? I wake up in the morning,  all clear-eyed and happy, then I swing my legs over the side of the bed and my knees tell me I'm not 30 anymore.🙃

This article might help you, if you decide to go with wax, and a mechanical advantage. (For the time being, still our choice, after 40 years. We'll see what the next decades hold.... )

Fwiw, Google practical sailor and best wax. There are choices beyond our labor intensive paste wax.

Discusses some orbital electric devices for waxing/polishing 

https://www.practical-sailor.com/blog/waxing-and-polishing-your-boat

• Thanks 3
  • Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

1 hour ago, SeaDawg said:

Darn, me, too. How the heck does that happen? I wake up in the morning,  all clear-eyed and happy, then I swing my legs over the side of the bed and my knees tell me I'm not 30 anymore.🙃

This article might help you, if you decide to go with wax, and a mechanical advantage. (For the time being, still our choice, after 40 years. We'll see what the next decades hold.... )

Fwiw, Google practical sailor and best wax. There are choices beyond our labor intensive paste wax.

Discusses some orbital electric devices for waxing/polishing 

https://www.practical-sailor.com/blog/waxing-and-polishing-your-boat

"Discusses some orbital electric devices for waxing/polishing"

Thanks,  your response was spot on. 

spacer.png

This is a great random orbital polisher and the instructions are very, well, instructional.

https://www.griotsgarage.com/content/pdf/10901.pdf

It is critical that you use a low rpm variable speed polisher, do not try to use a high rpm random orbital sander. Even though they may look the same.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 3

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

After two and a half years of ownership and being a retired Body Shop Mgr. I decided it was time to buff the trailer. My trailer sets outside because my wife said if I wanted a cover it would have to be the $20,000 cedar wood type and not a metal cover type.  So I decided I could buff it every couple of years and that is what I do, just did it 3 months ago and it turned out beautiful, and I do good work if I don't say. I used products for fiberglass buffing and I did post it here on the forum, it's somewhere. I prefer the buffing process as it does takeoff the oxidation of the Gel Coat and cover it up.

trainman

• Like 5

2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.

I just had my new TV ceramic coated (Star White Ford 250 Tremor 7.3) and the installer made a deal I could not refuse to coat the Oliver. I showed him the OTT website and he was immediately interested. I might get my first Ambassador stipend before I even take delivery of mine! I'll keep everyone posted. From what I have observed this is not something you should buy from Amazon and brush it on in your driveway. My installer has environmental controls like hepa filters, UV light curing and he goes though about 30 microfiber applicators. This is after he strips and de-waxes, clay bar out the impurities and then buff out swirl marks for prep. Around 20 hours of work. 

• Like 4