mounting of GM trailering rear camera accessory

I'm interested to install the GM rear accessory camera that connects to 20-22 GM trucks with trailering camera package/camera accessory port near the hitch.  I've read the manual online and I understand the mounting position for correct "invisible trailer" view is at the top of the spare tire cover. 

I know there are at least a few Oliver owners with this set-up.  Can you please share how you mounted the rear camera?  I'd rather not drill holes in the trailer or the spare cover if possible.  I'm considering the 3M automotive tape and feel this would be sufficient, especially if the mounting bracket is on the top surface of the spare tire cover.   I'm planning to run the connecting wire on the underside of the trailer along the propane line on the streetside.  

Anyone have any experience, advice or photos to share?  Thanks in advance!

image.jpeg.3fb191ed90ab9e88c554847a4c1b4c42.jpegimage.jpeg.57134041dd4a56eecdb5f71afd2884ce.jpeg

• Like 1

2020 Elite II #627, 2021 Silverado 1500 3.0L Duramax, Colorado

• Moderators

I mounted my first rear camera in the spare tire cover.  Given that I had asked Oliver to wire this area for a camera the actual install was basically a no brainer.  Probably your camera from GM has a mount that allows for the camera to be "tilted".  This is important in that the spare tire cover is mounted such that it is 6 degrees off from being perpendicular to the ground.  My camera is mounted with a 4 degree offset thus allowing for less of a setting sun to blind it.  If you do not wish to drill a hole in the cover for the camera wires like I did I guess that you could always place them in something like THIS in order to better hide them and to protect them.

One disadvantage to this mounting location is that there is more "road spray" given that the camera is located closer to the road.  Obviously another disadvantage is that the view is somewhat limited in the event there is another vehicle right behind you.  For these two reasons I added another camera located in the usual spot on the roof of the Ollie.

Good luck!

Bill

2018-08-17_11-13-19.png

2018-08-21_05-51-41.png

2018-08-17_11-07-42.png

Edited by topgun2
added pics from spare tire camera
  • Thanks 2
  • Like 4

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Here is a picture of mine.  Oliver installed it for me at pickup.  Ran the cable from the tongue, under the trailer the up through the top of the spare tire cover.  The have the cable come through a little chrome piece.  The excess cable is in the bumper compartment.

John

8A570911-C937-49C3-9804-8D28E02ABD79.jpeg

• Thanks 2
  • Like 2

John and Kim

2021 GMC Sierra 2500 AT4 6.6L Duramax 11350 GVWR  3048lb Payload

2021 Oliver Elite II.   Hull #887

23 hours ago, Jps190 said:

Here is a picture of mine.  Oliver installed it for me at pickup.  Ran the cable from the tongue, under the trailer the up through the top of the spare tire cover.  The have the cable come through a little chrome piece.  The excess cable is in the bumper compartment.

John

8A570911-C937-49C3-9804-8D28E02ABD79.jpeg

John,  thank you!  This is exactly the kind of info I'm looking for.  I'm assuming that Oliver installed the camera bracket by drilling holes and did they drill another hole for the cable or does this pass behind the spare cover?  Are you happy with the camera system?  Does it function well as a back-up assist view?  (I'm actually more interested in the back-up assist view than I am in the "invisible trailer" view)   Thanks again, Dan  

• Like 1

John, Is there a cable disconnect at the camera so you can remove the spare tire cover and set it aside? Or is that the purpose for the coil of extra cable in the bumper compartment?

Bill, how far away are those reference lines from the bumper, for example the red STOP one?

Thanks.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, John E Davies said:

Bill, how far away are those reference lines from the bumper, for example the red STOP one?

Red one is about 1.5 feet from the rear bumper.

Bill

• Like 2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderator+
18 minutes ago, John E Davies said:

John, Is there a cable disconnect at the camera so you can remove the spare tire cover and set it aside? Or is that the purpose for the coil of extra cable in the bumper compartment?

Thanks.

John Davies

Spokane WA

John, you can disconnect the cable from the camera but it requires some simple disassembly. I did not want the cable to be run on the outside of the trailer and this does allow you to run the cable through a small hole. I am in the process of installing ours on the new 2022 Silverado 3500. I ran the cable in through the front wall of the trailer down low. From there, it enters the cabin under the bathroom vanity. I ran the cable down the street side with all the other wiring and plumbing to the back. Then out through the back wall inside the spare tire cover.

I made a stainless steel bracket then painted it gloss white to hold the camera. It is mounted above the spare tire.

• Like 3

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

On 3/12/2022 at 12:32 AM, tallmandan said:

John,  thank you!  This is exactly the kind of info I'm looking for.  I'm assuming that Oliver installed the camera bracket by drilling holes and did they drill another hole for the cable or does this pass behind the spare cover?  Are you happy with the camera system?  Does it function well as a back-up assist view?  (I'm actually more interested in the back-up assist view than I am in the "invisible trailer" view)   Thanks again, Dan  

The cable passes behind the spare cover and just comes out through the top.  It works well as a backup camera as long as you go slow and steady.  I still like to get out and check things if I don't have a spotter.  The big benefit is not having to have another screen in the vehicle.  Not sure what trim level you have but my truck also came with TPMS sensors for the trailer that link right to the trucks infotainment screen which also make for one less device.

On 3/12/2022 at 1:37 PM, John E Davies said:

Thanks.

John Davies

Spokane WA

John,  There is no disconnect on the camera but there is plenty of spare cable to set the cover aside.

John

• Thanks 2
  • Like 2

John and Kim

14 hours ago, Jps190 said:

my truck also came with TPMS sensors for the trailer that link right to the trucks infotainment screen which also make for one less device

Did this "require some assembly" at Oliver TT?  I believe my 2500 has the same TPMS, and I was hoping it would connect to the TT, but my salesman (who admits he knows nothing about trailers and towing) didn't think it would. My truck delivered a few days ago, I'm trying to absorb all this new info before I hit the road for Oliver delivery (3/28). 

• Like 1

Oliver Elite II Twin (delivered 3/28/2022)   Tow Vehicle: Chevy Silverado 2500HD diesel "Estrella"

ALARCOFLGAIAKSKYMONENDOKSDTNWYDDDDDDmed.

9 hours ago, Boudicca908 said:

Did this "require some assembly" at Oliver TT?  I believe my 2500 has the same TPMS, and I was hoping it would connect to the TT, but my salesman (who admits he knows nothing about trailers and towing) didn't think it would. My truck delivered a few days ago, I'm trying to absorb all this new info before I hit the road for Oliver delivery (3/28). 

You would have gotten 4 pressure sensors for the trailer when you took delivery of your truck.  You will need to take your trailer to a tire shop or take the tires off the trailer and take them to a shop and have the sensors installed.  I took both tires off on one side and installed the spare as a safety for the jack while I took them to a tire shop.  Took a couple hours but the system works great.

John

• Like 1

John and Kim

5 hours ago, Jps190 said:

You would have gotten 4 pressure sensors for the trailer when you took delivery of your truck.  You will need to take your trailer to a tire shop or take the tires off the trailer and take them to a shop and have the sensors installed.  I took both tires off on one side and installed the spare as a safety for the jack while I took them to a tire shop.  Took a couple hours but the system works great.

Can a fifth sensor be installed on the spare, and will that show correctly with the other four on the TV screen?

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

5 hours ago, John E Davies said:

Can a fifth sensor be installed on the spare, and will that show correctly with the other four on the TV screen?

John Davies

Spokane WA

Yes.  It will support up to 6 tires.  I just need to buy a another sensor.  One more thing on the todo list....

John

• Like 1

John and Kim

• Moderators
15 minutes ago, Jps190 said:

Yes.  It will support up to 6 tires.  I just need to buy a another sensor.  One more thing on the todo list....

In that case - assuming that the TV spare tire is not shown on the original setup - I'd buy two more sensors.  4 for the road tires of the Ollie, 1 for the Ollie spare tire and 1 for the TV spare tire.

Bill

• Like 2

I installed the Ford OEM trailer camera yesterday. Ran it down the drivers side in the gap above the frame cross members and the fiberglass side of the Ollie. It goes behind the spare tire in the gap between the rear storage compartment and the bottom of the trailer. The excess cable goes in the spare tire well and then I ran the cable over the back of the spare cover to the camera. It works great and gets rid of a large monitor in the cab. I already have the Garmin Overlander mounted in the cab and didn’t want another screen. 

• Like 2

2016 Oliver Legacy Elite II.  2021 Ford F250 Diesel

Here is a pic of the TPMS display in the cab.  Can't figure out why it keeps posting sideways.

Here are a couple other pics of the trailering software in the cab.

oliver 26 (2).jpg

oliver27 (2).jpg

oliver 28 (2).jpg

Edited by topgun2
corrected pics
  • Like 2

John and Kim

• 2 weeks later...

I thought I would follow-up on this after my install. Might be helpful if anyone else has a 2020-2022 GM vehicle with the advanced trailering feature and is considering this accessory... 

Everything went well and it was easier than expected.  The "transparent trailer" view feature requires that the camera be placed within a certain zone at the back of the trailer and on the Oliver, the only plausible location is to mount on top of the spare tire cover.   @Cameron shared a photo above of the camera installation that Oliver did for him, and it looks great.  I decided I didn't want to drill holes in the spare tire cover as the camera is not compatable with non-GM trucks and I might move to another TV someday even though I love my Silverado 3.0L deisel.  The other challenge is that you must still be able to remove the spare tire cover if needed, so I needed a plan for either easy removal of the camera or lots of slack cable inside.  As it turns out, I have both.

IMG_2093.thumb.JPEG.d3eb8ffc915844d5798004b02a8f59cc.JPEG

There is plenty of room to run the cable in the channel between the aluminum crossbars and the fiberglass under the trailer on the curb-side.  This is where the propane line is located and runs all the way from front to back.  The cable is well protected and tied in with several zipties along the way.  The plug-end of the cable that plugs into the truck bumper port can be unscrewed to make it smaller and now it fits easily through the gap at the back of the diamondplate bumper and fiberglass to route the cable into the storage area in the bumper.  Then it is easily routed into the chanel where the propane line is to run all the way to the front.

IMG_2094.thumb.JPEG.0ef6bce9ba71b895d4dfd5034284162e.JPEG

IMG_2092.thumb.JPEG.cfe7a03339950262ef8be4288f03b803.JPEG

IMG_2095.thumb.JPEG.a3928ad9c6871f867f360efd04a927ec.JPEG

To scure the camera, I elected to use this high-strength plastic Alfa-Lock Velcro product that utilizes 3M tape.  This allows me to remove the camera if needed and replace it easily yet it has a very secure hold.  I will only need to remove it if I need to access the spare or, alternatively, I can leave the camera secured and pull the excess cable up through from the bumper storage space.  Since the camera is mounted on a horizontal surface, this seems plenty adequate.  Finally, I used a few stick-on plastic retainer clips to hold the cable around the outside of the spare tire cover. 

IMG_2097.thumb.JPEG.571912f86f8a36b70eeb05802288ab27.JPEGIMG_2098.thumb.JPEG.ab92dcd77be65e7cb03a9c221edd81ad.JPEG

The look is not as clean and good looking as Cameron's install from Oliver but I'm happy with it and it seems plenty secure.  I will see how this it goes this travel season.  If the Alfa-lock Velcro fails then I will try 3M automotive tape and rely on pulling through the extra cable from the storage space when I need to remove the cover.

Hope this is helpful for anybody else considering this accessory install.  

Dan

• Thanks 2

• Moderators

@tallmandan, thanks for the excellent notes and photos.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.