Notice any 2017 + Chevy GMC duramax owners

Landrover

I thought I share this with any Chevy GMC Duramax owners. While doing routine maintenance on my 2017 Chevy Duramax. I noticed a small oil leak at the front of the engine. I suspected a bad crankshaft seal. Under warranty the Chevy dealer confirmed a leaking front crank shaft seal. That was the easy part here’s the nightmare.  

I was informed that the harmonic balancer pulley which has a rubber grommet  in between the pulley for engine vibration was deteriorated and needs replacement.  I was told I was lucky to have brought it in. If the pulley let loose it would have destroyed the engine. Speaking with the mechanic he said several like this has been reported. The bad news. There is only one pulley available at a North Carolina dealer and they refuse to sell it to my dealership.  GM has zero available and are looking at 12-16 weeks maybe. 

I have started the complainant process but it also takes time. GM no longer will give you a loaner vehicle of the same kind you get what they give you. Which is wrong but better than nothing.  The other sad part is there are no new trucks available to buy. 🤯🤯 There are better quality  pulleys out there after market at $500.00 range. In negotiation’s with GM they may reimburse this cost to me. It’s not like GM to do this but we shall see. The battle continues.🤪 It looks like my Oliver travels are on hold for awhile, with the fuel prices this all my be a good thing. 😇

• Like 1
  • Wow 3
  • Sad 7

Grant  2022 GMC Denali 2500 HD 2019  Elite 11😎

How many man hours of labor to fix the pulley and seal? Does the radiator have to come out?

At this point I guess you are going to have to decide, do I just have an independent diesel shop fix it with a higher quality aftermarket part, or park the truck and trailer until mid summer or later? That is a sticky situation, but at least you do have a bright side, the engine is OK and there is at least one option for you….. 

We bought a new Acura in December, the local dealer parts guy told me that he had a 30 page stack of backordered parts. He had one car gathering dust because it needs new head bolts, and none are to be found anywhere.

Good luck on your truck.

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

John

its a big job a lot of parts to take off the front most of it is the cooling system intercoolers trans coolers lots of hoses. If it wasn’t a $1500.00 warranty job. It would be at the local diesel shop.  Hopefully GM will reimburse me for a aftermarket OEM pulley and I’ll upgrade and pay the cost difference. At least I’m driving there vehicle for awhile. It’s tuff no matter what avenue you try to take your stuck. I’ve never seen it this bad. Very frustrating the new norm.

• Like 2

I think that if I were in your shoes I would give GM a month to figure out their next step, they are without a doubt as freaked out as you are by the parts fiasco. If they can’t assure you of having a working truck by then, have it towed to that other shop, pay out of pocket and plan on joining the huge class action lawsuit that is sure to come.

It is very worrying to think of the bad things that can happen when you are in the middle of a long vacation trip and get stranded on the other side of the country from your home…. Good luck.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

23 hours ago, Landrover said:

no new trucks available to buy

I took ownership of my new 2022 Chevy duramax yesterday. My salesman informed me that he had a couple of unsold vehicles delivered this week. PM me if you want more info. SW FL

• Like 1

Oliver Elite II Twin (delivered 3/28/2022)   Tow Vehicle: Chevy Silverado 2500HD diesel "Estrella"

ALARCOFLGAIAKSKYMONENDOKSDTNWYDDDDDDmed.

I’ve had some experience with this type of problem and how to handle it to come out on top. This would have been a hard  case to win considering everything that is going on. It’s a long dragged out process. I fought once before and won. Getting older and tired of all the fighting and battling.  Some one was looking out for me.  I walked into to local GMC dealer and this truck was just delivered two hours prior. 2022 GMC Denali 2500 Hd Duramax. The dealer was still willing to wait the 12-16 week repair time and i was still able to negotiate a lower price, not the best I’ve ever done but I was happy. Im back on the road no more repair headaches.🎉

DCD8D03C-4D2C-4FA5-B02B-0F001C681C09.jpeg

• Like 5

Working for a large DFW Chevrolet Dealer for some 35 years and in management, we never replaced under warranty any part that was not GM original. All being said, if you wanted an upgrade part that was not factory original then you could pay for it and have it installed at your expense. I will say here that there are defiantly parts that are probably better then factory original ones in some cases, but it's under factory warranty, what can I say here, I would feel somewhat out of place to ask such a question to the service department.

trainman

• Like 2

2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.

• Moderators

That's a beautiful truck, Landrover! Congratulations!

• Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

You may be right - you may be wrong - but, at some point in life (actually maybe at all points in life) you have to make the decision as to whether "this" is a hill to die on.  Glad that you had the financial resources to make the decision you did.  Sure does save a bunch of bother.  Hope this new Chevy works better for you than the last one did.  They certainly are nice looking trucks.

Bill

• Thanks 2
  • Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"