Lithium ...or not?

PJYarnall

Just FYI here's my explanation of our Lithionics Upgrade ...may be useful for those reading this thread.

https://4-ever-hitched.com/ggs-blog/f/lithium-battery-upgrade

Craig - Hull 505 - Galway Girl

• Thanks 3
  • Like 1

2019 Elite II (Hull 505 - Galway Girl - August 7, 2019 Delivery) 
Tow Vehicle: 2021 F350 King Ranch, FX4, MaxTow Package, 10 Speed, 3.55 Rear Axle
Batteries Upgrade: Dual 315GTX Lithionics Lithiums - 630AH Total
Inverter/Charger: Xantrex 2000Pro 

Travel BLOG:  https://4-ever-hitched.com

IMG_5421.jpeg.c1f697a00240a9bd6729b0930bd3a4aa.jpeg

My apologies for not responding sooner! 

This is an amazing community and I am overwhelmed by the number of responses!  I am leaning towards committing to the Pro Lithium package as the Oliver, while not our first RV, is likely our last.  Besides better off grid capability I think it may increase its value when it goes on the market someday in the future.

• Like 2

Anyone wondering the difference between the GUTS of Battleborn vs. Lithionics may want  to watch this from the Fit RV.

A teardown that compares the GTX3 Lithionics Battery to the Battleborns.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 4

2019 Elite II (Hull 505 - Galway Girl - August 7, 2019 Delivery) 
Tow Vehicle: 2021 F350 King Ranch, FX4, MaxTow Package, 10 Speed, 3.55 Rear Axle
Batteries Upgrade: Dual 315GTX Lithionics Lithiums - 630AH Total
Inverter/Charger: Xantrex 2000Pro 

Travel BLOG:  https://4-ever-hitched.com

IMG_5421.jpeg.c1f697a00240a9bd6729b0930bd3a4aa.jpeg

Interesting video, thanks for posting the link!

Kirk

Kirk and Carrie Peterson

Twin Falls, Idaho

2018 Ram 3500, with overland conversion: Rooftop tent, water, stove, Battle Born batteries, lockers, onboard air, raised air intake, Warn winch. 

2023 Elite 2, twin beds, delivered December 5, 2022 Truma package, lithium platinum package.
Hull #1305

On 3/15/2022 at 2:47 PM, ChrisMI said:

Ideally BB will have their BF deal again

BB told me that the batteries go on sale twice a year:  summer and Black Friday.

• Like 1

2018 LE2 #333  "the Otter"

2015 Silverado 2500HD

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators

I'd say check their website frequently.  

A quick search of our forum showed battleborns on sale August and early September last year. 

They also had a 3 day blem sale last summer, June 25-27.

Screenshot_20220503-103521_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220503-104229_Facebook.jpg

• Like 3

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

Agree with Sherry, check the web site every week or so.  When I got my third Battle Born I had been checking their web site weekly for a couple of months.  Mike

• Like 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

5 hours ago, ChrisMI said:

I don’t think we’ll see the $675 again during the sale. BB recently increased the price by $75 on the 100 amp versions. My guess is $750 during the blemished sale…

I hope they find a way to reduce their prices... Good quality Chinese battery prices keep coming down. A friend of mine recently purchased (2) Ampere Time 300ah batteries for just over 1k each.

2010 Elite II, Hull #45.  2014 Toyota Sequoia Platinum 4WD 5.7 with tow package.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, CRM said:

I hope they find a way to reduce their prices... Good quality Chinese battery prices keep coming down. A friend of mine recently purchased (2) Ampere Time 300ah batteries for just over 1k each.

I'm not sure that's a fair comparison,  but it's obviously a great price, for those who want an entry level solution. I  think Will Prowse tore those down, and found a few flaws, like no low temp charging sensor in the bms. I'd Google it. Ok if you always camp in warm climates, maybe. With caveats.

Renogy had a series of lifepo4 on sale this week, and I didn't post it, because it was only a 2000 cycle battety. I think older tech. $500 for 100 ah. Solid company. But you have to acknowledge what you're buying.  

Fwiw, I do think battery prices will likely continue to drop. As has solar. It's all a gamble, but if we ever swap to lifepo4, we'll go with a company with a warranty,  like battleborn,  or build our own. 

Just my opinion.  We've certainly been known to take a risk for a price savings, and my opinions are subject to change  with research. 

• Like 3

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

18 hours ago, SeaDawg said:

I'm not sure that's a fair comparison,  but it's obviously a great price, for those who want an entry level solution. I  think Will Prowse tore those down, and found a few flaws, like no low temp charging sensor in the bms. I'd Google it. Ok if you always camp in warm climates, maybe. With caveats.

Renogy had a series of lifepo4 on sale this week, and I didn't post it, because it was only a 2000 cycle battety. I think older tech. $500 for 100 ah. Solid company. But you have to acknowledge what you're buying.  

Yeah, he went into it knowing that they had no low temp charge sensor, but he already had battery heat pad and battery temp sensor wired to his charge controller so that wasn't an issue to him. I'll be watching closely how they work out. Have good AGM's right now, but looking to upgrade to LiFePO4 and adding solar in the next year or so.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2010 Elite II, Hull #45.  2014 Toyota Sequoia Platinum 4WD 5.7 with tow package.

I'm having a hard time believing a few mili ohms of resistance is enough to get excited about let alone make a difference in terms of real heat build up. And even it did make a minute amount of difference the price spread is way beyond the ROI IMHO. Of course I'm willing to be proven wrong but the video above did nothing to convince me of spending that much more on a battery. 

Attaching a couple of videos below comparing the Battle Born vs the SOK at about half the price.

And here is another review from Will Prowse

• Like 1

Legacy Elite II #70

• 1 year later...
On 3/17/2022 at 12:13 PM, topgun2 said:

I believe that your understanding of lack of charge from the 7 pin is correct.  Without a DC/DC charger you would probably burn up your TV alternator if 7 pin charging was allowed.

I also believe that dependent on your actual electricity usage, you will be favorably surprised as to how much you can count on those solar panels to keep up the batteries.

Bill

The resistance of the factory 7-pin small gage wire would limit current draw so shouldn’t damage your alternator.  Don’t know how much the wire would heat up due to line loss. 

Garry and Kristi

Apex, NC

2018 Oliver Elite II Hull 372

TV 2015 Ram 1500 3.0 L EcoDiesel

image.jpeg.aed3a6aa6cd2b2679a4845e1ea98a981.jpeg

We disconnected the 7-pin's black wire (to the TV alternator) and installed a Victron 12/12 DC-DC charger to keep the battery bank close to topped off should we be towing at night or during dark foul-WX days...  The charger's been used now for over 4,500 miles without incident, FYI.

• Like 2

spacer.png

Art, Diane, Oscar & Magnus (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA w/Airlift Load Lifter 5000 kit/2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", 12VDC Starlink kit, 3x Battle Borns; Victron Cerbo GX, SmartShunt, MPPT Solar Controller, & DC-DC Charger; HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

2 hours ago, MAX Burner said:

We disconnected the 7-pin's black wire (to the TV alternator) ...

I disconnected ours too, without a DC-to-DC charger. I can't see any reason for it but causing heat (12GA wire) and battery drain issues on either side. I believe the reason for the black wire on the 7-pin connector was to allow a small amount of power for trailer use of the TV battery. For example, it allows for a cargo trailer to run 1-2 interior lights (better remember to turn them off or your truck will not start the next day). There is NO reason for this wire when the trailer is a travel trailer with its own power source(s). And I don't want a live 12V hot on my trailer plug.

You desire charging any viable AH capacity of trailer batteries while driving, you need to install a DC-to-DC charger.

Chris & John in Prescott, AZ | 2016 EII #113 | '01 Ram 2500 Cummins!

On 1/1/2024 at 11:02 AM, GarryandKristi said:

The resistance of the factory 7-pin small gage wire would limit current draw so shouldn’t damage your alternator.  Don’t know how much the wire would heat up due to line loss. 

I do know that for my 2019 F-150 with heavy duty tow package, it was enough to corrode the 7 Pin connection on the trailer end.  Replaced the connection with one that has LED power indicators and removed the fuse on the truck end.  

• Love 1

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DYI’s:  BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DYI’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Timken Bearings, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all.

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

On 1/4/2024 at 8:11 PM, jd1923 said:

You desire charging any viable AH capacity of trailer batteries while driving, you need to install a DC-to-DC charger.

Concur 100%.  After receiving "DC/DC Charger - 101" from @Geronimo John last summer, it was a "no-brainer".  One nice key feature with the "smart" DC/DC Chargers is that there's an option to select an "engine-off" sensor.  When selected, the charger senses that there's no alternator generating current and will secure itself thus not draining the TV starter battery when parked w/engine off.  

Not true when that 7-pin black 12AWG wire is connected.  We've known of those who didn't disconnect the 7-pin after landing in a nice boondocking area and woke up the next morning to a dead TV battery.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

spacer.png

Art, Diane, Oscar & Magnus (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA w/Airlift Load Lifter 5000 kit/2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", 12VDC Starlink kit, 3x Battle Borns; Victron Cerbo GX, SmartShunt, MPPT Solar Controller, & DC-DC Charger; HAM call-sign:  W0ABX