Leaky front door

Has anyone had leak issues on the main walk-in door on the 2016 EL-II?  I don't like how the seals are not continuous throughout the entire edge of door. I'm getting a good amount of rain on the floor. 

PXL_20220316_234212602.jpg

• Wow 1
  • Sad 1

Chris
2016 Legacy Elite II  o--o  Hull #110 o--o  Wayfinder  o--o  Twin Bed  o--o  2020 RAM 1500 Limited 5.7L 
Augusta, Georgia

• Moderators

Yep, my 2016 is still good too.

I assume that you've checked the door fasteners and latch for tightness.  Other than that - does the weather stripping look to be in good shape?  Is there any sign of the door being out of alignment? 

Bill

• Like 2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators

Ok, it's silly question time!  Have you verified where the leak is in the door seal?  Is it possible that the leak is elsewhere and pooling by the door?

Mossey

• Like 2

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

• Moderators

Good thoughts, Mossemi, and Topgun. My 2008 seals look a bit  clunky, but they still work well.

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

4 hours ago, mossemi said:

Ok, it's silly question time!  Have you verified where the leak is in the door seal?  Is it possible that the leak is elsewhere and pooling by the door?

Mossey

It took me weeks to finally confirm it was the door. The weather seal looks okay. I will take a much closer look at it soon, again. 

• Like 2

Chris
2016 Legacy Elite II  o--o  Hull #110 o--o  Wayfinder  o--o  Twin Bed  o--o  2020 RAM 1500 Limited 5.7L 
Augusta, Georgia

• Moderators

Just thought of another potential place to check - the door window!

Some blue painter's tape around that window and a garden hose should let you know it that is OK or not.

Bill

• Like 2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators
15 hours ago, topgun2 said:

Some blue painter's tape around that window and a garden hose should let you know it that is OK or not.

Actually, I should have said to use the tape to stick some blue paper shop towels around that window.  I'm not sure just how the tape alone would show a water leak!🤪

Bill

• Thanks 1

• 7 months later...

Bill and all, thanks for the suggestions. It's been a year of adversities, but finally found that the window on the door leaks. Should be easy to fix, but I have not removed all the internal screws of the inner frame. 

Has anyone had to reseal the door window?  

Thanks, Chris

Chris
Augusta, Georgia

• Moderators
13 hours ago, Wayfinder said:

Has anyone had to reseal the door window?  

Yes - 

Anyone that has changed out that door window for a window that is tinted and/or has window blinds has performed this job.

Before you remove those screws (or plastic tabs for those with newer windows) be sure to either use tape or another person to hold the exterior window in place.  There is a fair possibility that the exterior window will fall out and therefore break if it is not held.

Past that the process is pretty straight forward and the entire job should only take about 30 minutes or less.  You will see where the old rope caulk in placed.  Remove it and put in new.  I "over caulked" just to make sure I got a good seal and when I re-installed the excess caulk came out on the exterior window.  I simply scraped this off with a plastic razor blade (so as to not nick the plastic window frame.

There are numerous YouTube vids out there like THIS one that show the process for either the screw type frame or the newer frames.

Bill

Or THIS ONE if you want to upgrade your window at the same time.

Edited by topgun2
spelling
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 2

Thanks Bill @topgun2 . I watch the videos and it does look like a simple repair, depending on what product I use to replace the old calk.  It does seem completely inadequate to start with, from the factory.   This first step I took, was to tighten up all the screws.  There were QUITE a few that we very lose.  None were stripped out, so that's good.  I might get the hose on it today to see what happens.  

Thanks again gang!  I hope to meet some of you at next year's rally in alaBAMA!  😛 

Chris 

• Like 1

Chris
Augusta, Georgia