Is a 2021 GMC Sierra Denali 2500 4x4 6.6L V8 Gas a Good TV?

BeauDog

• Moderators
13 hours ago, Rivernerd said:

So, we concur with your leaning:  get a 3/4 ton for safety, even though it will not be a Toyota.

Over 6 years of towing our Oliver we’ve gone from a Tacoma to a half ton to a 3/4 ton.  The Tacoma was marginal, the half ton was the sweet spot, the 3/4 ton is such a comfortable towing experience.  

13 hours ago, Rivernerd said:

(2) our local mechanic has a low opinion of the reliability of Dodge pickups; (3) diesel fumes nauseate my wife

We had over 100K miles on our Ram 1500 and had no issues at all.  Just routine maintenance, oil and filter changes.  Your local mechanic might have some old experiences back when Ram was Dodge.  From what I’ve seen over the last few years all the major pick up manufacturers are making quality vehicles.

• Like 3

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• Moderators

Our 2008 Dodge Ram is still a great tow vehicle.  Just broken in at about 250k miles.

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

On 3/18/2022 at 5:49 PM, jim sroka said:

HI Marv

Not to say I have all the answers so I will tell you my last twenty years of towing. First i just sold my 2008 Airstream 25 (5600 lbs dry and 960 in hitch weight), my wife and 

I put 65,000 miles on it towing with a 2014 Silverado 1500 with a 5.3 and 6 speed trans. The truck had a max tow PKG and a 373 axle . The mpg around home  19/20, towing if i stayed in the 65/70 range was 11to 12 mpg . The last trip in TX and AZ running 75 to 80+ milage was 10 to 11.  I never use cruise unless it flat with no wind.  With all that said I am waiting for my Elite 2 in June  and my new 2022 chevy 1500 with the 3.0 and 10 speed. For the last 20 years at work I have towed boat all over Michigan and other parts of the country. I have used GMC 1500 ,2500,and 3500 both gas diesel, tow from 5000 lbs to 19,000 lbs.  When I grab a truck to tow I always when i could a truck that was rated for twice trailer as the load i was moving. By doing that it was a lot nice drive, and it also gave me the best tow milage. On the 5.3 i had it ran down the highway towing @ 2200 to 2450 rpm in 5 gear and would up shift in to 6 on fall roads or with a tail wind. The Oliver weights less then my own boat by 1000 lbs a nd the hitch will be about the same. i tow the boat all over MI with out a weight equalizing hitch ,but with Sumo Springs installed. Boats do not tow near as good as Airstreams or Olivers. So with all that said I have a 2022 chevy 1500 with a 3.0 max 4 wheel drive  with a 10 speed . 12900 lbs tow rating and a 2100 lbs payload I my add Sumo Spring ( 1000 lbs units)  mostly to stop the bounce when towing the boat , they create a lot more bounce than travel trailers.  The GM 6.6 gasser are testing a 10 speed for 2023  to help them get some milage ( family works for GM trans) lots of power for heavy loads around town but I wouldn't buy one for la daily drive or long hauling.

Jim

Ask 10 people and you’ll get 10 different answers.  I’ll second the comments by Jim on considering the GM 1/2 ton with the 3.0L Duramax diesel and 10 speed transmission. So far I’ve put 13k trouble free miles on my 2021 Silverado 1500 3.0L and about 4k towing our Oliver.  That’s not much but I’ve been very pleased.  No doubt a 3/4 ton has more power and payload - if you need it.  When you consider cost (3.0 diesel is only $950 upgrade over gasser) and amazing fuel economy in a full size 4x4 pickup, there is a lot to like.  It’s a new, from-the-ground-up designed engine and I worry a bit about reliability but so far it’s flawless.  Smooth and lots of torque at lower Rpm.  Tech and towing package are great

• Like 1

2020 Elite II #627, 2021 Silverado 1500 3.0L Duramax, Colorado

4 hours ago, tallmandan said:

Ask 10 people and you’ll get 10 different answers.  I’ll second the comments by Jim on considering the GM 1/2 ton with the 3.0L Duramax diesel and 10 speed transmission. So far I’ve put 13k trouble free miles on my 2021 Silverado 1500 3.0L and about 4k towing our Oliver.  That’s not much but I’ve been very pleased.  No doubt a 3/4 ton has more power and payload - if you need it.  When you consider cost (3.0 diesel is only $950 upgrade over gasser) and amazing fuel economy in a full size 4x4 pickup, there is a lot to like.  It’s a new, from-the-ground-up designed engine and I worry a bit about reliability but so far it’s flawless.  Smooth and lots of torque at lower Rpm.  Tech and towing package are great

Thank you for your comments, Tallmandan.  I have enjoyed reading about the various experiences and opinions in response to my question.  They have given me much food for thought, and this is exactly what I was hoping for.  

Marv

• Like 1

2021 GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD 4X4 with Tow Package, 6.6L gas, 6-speed Auto trans.  

2022 Legacy Elite II, twin bed, solar & lithium package, Expected Delivery August 22, 2022.

• Moderators
3 hours ago, BeauDog said:

I have enjoyed reading about the various experiences and opinions in response to my question.  They have given me much food for thought, and this is exactly what I was hoping for.  

You’ll usually get an abundance of thoughts and opinions here!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS