Oliver beds

Nan

Wondering if anyone has much trouble handling the twin beds?  I about have to have oxygen after changing pads, sheets and blankets (also getting to the hatch covers) on the twin beds. I think it would help if there were grips on them. I am about ready to just throw down sleeping bags and call it a day.

• Moderators

I've always simply used a sleeping bag.  If its hot - lay on top, if its cold - I bury myself deep inside.  Making the bed is simple - the hardest part is getting the pillow "fluffed".😁

Bill

• Like 3

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators

@Nan, in any camper or boat, sleeping bags or travelsax, or something like it, is the optimal speedy solution. 

We like a real bed, and sheets, so, up til now I  have always done the gymnastics. 

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

I'm bringing my spare set of Queen size sheets to cover the mattress, and and my "light" down Double-size comforter which I can pull up, double up or throw off to regulate the temperature! I plan to alter the sheets to fit once I get home with the Oliver, making a fitted base sheet and a top sheet. I believe there are sheets made to fit available, but I don't know where people buy them. If you have the upgraded KTT mattress the latex is indeed heavy. 

Being used to subtropical temperatures, my blood is thin -- I am trying to decide if I should bring my sleeping bag, in case it's actually "freezing" up there next week! 

• Like 2

Oliver Elite II Twin (delivered 3/28/2022)   Tow Vehicle: Chevy Silverado 2500HD diesel "Estrella"

ALARCOFLGAIAKSKYMONENDOKSDTNWYDDDDDDmed.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Boudicca908 said:

Being used to subtropical temperatures, my blood is thin -- I am trying to decide if I should bring my sleeping bag, in case it's actually "freezing" up there next week

Take a 32 degree sleeping bag, just in case,  imo. Not bulky,  and I get cold, too. Another Florida girl...

Unzipped, its a nice lightweight comforter. Or, a lap robe.

In all likelihood,  night time temps will be in the 40s when you pick up. A lot colder than here in sw Florida. 

• Like 3

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

591422072_ScreenShot2022-03-20at5_50_09PM.thumb.png.c6337449c3cc3cd820d95ec8e78ff2bf.pngI

I  l loved making up our beds but with current wrist problems, we got two of these.  https://www.costco.com/duvalay-x-large-sleeping-pad-by-disc-o-bed.product.100494488.html They're like sleeping bags but better, they're not constricting and you can wash the outer covers and/or the interior duvet.  Comes with a built in pad that you can use, or not.  I'll miss the aesthetics and having the bolster pillows to act as a daybed, but the payoff is less pain.  interior-1.thumb.jpg.e9fc815c88a3f12e6878a5748dc2e516.jpg

• Like 5

Steph and Steve Kimball

2019 Oliver Elite II ~ Twin

Hull No. 463

• Moderators

To be fair - my sleeping bag system is actually a four part affair.  I start with a regular twin size mattress pad/cover.  It is "form fit" by using those stretch tightening clips (like THESE).  I then place a bottom sheet (custom fit by my wife) over the mattress pad.  Then comes the rectangular sleeping bag - more room for the feet versus the mummy style bags.  Finally I add a light weight sleeping bag liner like THIS.  Not only are these liners very soft but they can easily be taken to the laundromat with the rest of the dirty stuff.  In turn, this keeps the regular sleeping bag clean and the liner can be used on top of the regular bag when it is hot, inside the regular bag with the regular bag open when it is "normal" temperatures and everything totally zip together when I'm at altitude with the water freezing!  It certainly works for me.

Bill

• Thanks 1
  • Like 4

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

I use one of these, wrapped in a colorful, patterned wool blanket, on top of the factory cushion.  Then when it is time for bed, out comes the sleeping bag and ZZZZZ.  In the morning, the sleeping bag goes in the stuff sack and into the closet, along with the pillow and the colorful wool blanket over the sleeping pad stays in place.  This sleeping pad fits the twin perfectly and is just as comfortable as my custom, handmade mattress at home.

https://www.rei.com/product/147924/rei-co-op-camp-dreamer-xl-self-inflating-deluxe-bed

• Like 5

2021 Elite II, Hull# 898

2018 Toyota Tundra, 2003 Dodge Ram 3500 5.9l SRW

7 minutes ago, Mountainman198 said:

I use one of these, wrapped in a colorful, patterned wool blanket, on top of the factory cushion.  Then when it is time for bed, out comes the sleeping bag and ZZZZZ.  In the morning, the sleeping bag goes in the stuff sack and into the closet, along with the pillow and the colorful wool blanket over the sleeping pad stays in place.  This sleeping pad fits the twin perfectly and is just as comfortable as my custom, handmade mattress at home.

https://www.rei.com/product/147924/rei-co-op-camp-dreamer-xl-self-inflating-deluxe-bed

Certainly cheaper than the KTT mattress.   Lighter too.   It looks like a way to save money while still getting a comfortable bed.  I might go this route. 

• Like 1

John and Debbie, Beaverton, Oregon,  2017 Ford Expedition EL 4x4 3.5 liter Ecoboost, with heavy duty tow package. Hull #1290, twin bed with Truma package (a/c, furnace, hot water heater with electric antifreeze option), lithium pro package, picked up November 7, 2022

spacer.png

13 minutes ago, John Welte said:

Certainly cheaper than the KTT mattress.   Lighter too.   It looks like a way to save money while still getting a comfortable bed.  I might go this route. 

If you have a REI store near you, keep an eye out at their Garage Sale section.  The rotating valve appears to be confusing to many, so it gets returned and can often be had for $40-70.  Get the XL model and don't worry that the corners are square as they will conform to the contour of the hull.

• Thanks 2
  • Like 3

2021 Elite II, Hull# 898

2018 Toyota Tundra, 2003 Dodge Ram 3500 5.9l SRW

22 hours ago, Mountainman198 said:

If you have a REI store near you

It might also show up in REI's Outlet online -- not being near a storefront, this is a great place to start. 

• Like 2

Oliver Elite II Twin (delivered 3/28/2022)   Tow Vehicle: Chevy Silverado 2500HD diesel "Estrella"

ALARCOFLGAIAKSKYMONENDOKSDTNWYDDDDDDmed.