How to add 4-way connection for lights on rear mounted cargo carrier?

dhaig

I am adding a rear mounted enclosed cargo carrier to our new LEII.  The cargo carrier has a 4-way male connector and integrated lights which can provide lighting functions typical of a trailer (tail lights, brake lights, directional and flashers).  Although the tail lights on the LEII will be visible with the cargo carrier mounted, I would like to also have the lights on the cargo carrier function as well.  I will also need to relocated the license plate mount and its light to the rear of the cargo carrier.  This seems relatively straightforward, by extending the existing wiring under the spare tire cover.

Has anyone added a 4-way lighting female connector and wiring harness to the rear of an LEII to provide lighting on a cargo carrier or bike rack?  I have not yet removed the rear wall panel in the basement to explore for the tail light wiring on the LEII.  Assuming I can locate wiring connection points, how do I route the wires out the rear of the LEII to the cargo carrier?  Fishing the wires through the route taken by the license plate light wiring through the spare tire mount looks very challenging.

One approach may be to route the wiring for the rear 4-way female connector into the front of the LEII where the 7-pin connector cable enters the cabin and determining connection points, which I believe would be under the front dinette seat.  Then run the wiring for the rear 4-way connector under the body to the rear, fastening the wiring to frame members.

I am confident this has been done before.  I will appreciate hearing suggestions and lessons learned.

Thanks, Don

spacer.pngNorth Texas | 2022 LEII, Hull #990, delivered 2/17/22 | 2014 BMW X5 35d

• Moderators

You're right - someone surely has done this before but I don't remember seeing a "how to" posted on it.

If you Google "4 way trailer switch wiring" (HERE)  you will see the color coded wiring diagrams.  I don't remember where there are "scupper holes" near the back of the Ollie, but, that just might be a place you could come through the hull besides the hole for the license plate.

Good luck!

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Paul,

That is very helpful information.  Separately, I heard from Jason Essary, Oracle Service, who appears to recommend the same access approach (although is wasn't something Oliver Service had ever done).  He mentioned the faux wall in the basement must be removed to access the wiring to the lights.  I will pursue this course.

Thanks, Don

• Like 1

spacer.pngNorth Texas | 2022 LEII, Hull #990, delivered 2/17/22 | 2014 BMW X5 35d