Southern Mattress vs KTT

John Welte

Hi all, does anyone have experience with these two mattresses?   We will need to finalize options by August and wonder if there are advantages to Southern Mattress over the Oliver KTT option.   Mattresses are big,  so if you do get one from Southern Mattress,  do they ship it to OTT?   Thanks

John and Debbie, Beaverton, Oregon,  2017 Ford Expedition EL 4x4 3.5 liter Ecoboost, with heavy duty tow package. Hull #1290, twin bed with Truma package (a/c, furnace, hot water heater with electric antifreeze option), lithium pro package, picked up November 7, 2022

spacer.png

Last I heard, KTT isn't supplying mattresses for Oliver anymore. Our sales agreement wording changed from "KTT mattresses" to "High quality foam mattresses." Don't know who the new supplier is.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

Stephanie and Dudley from CT.  2022 LE2, Hull #1150: Eggcelsior.

Tow vehicle: 2016 GMC Sierra 6.0 gas dually 4x4.

Our Oliver journey: Steph and Dud B's RV Screed

Where we've been RVing since 1999:

ALAZCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpg.b96241bad6752dec89d25af6ffbc8d99.jpg

You might want to reach out to Oliver directly.

The last I heard they were no longer accepting deliveries of southern mattresses.  If you decide to go that route you would have to take delivery yourself.  I also read that Oliver has changed distributors and no longer offers KTT. We have the KTT mattresses and find them extremely comfortable. They are latex. I believe the southern mattresses are a traditional spring mattress or a hybrid?  I remember talking to Southern mattress on the phone when we made our 2019 order. They were telling me about the composition of their mattresses but we ultimately decided to order the latex based on previous experience with that type of mattress. Also we knew that if we ordered the southern mattresses that we would have to toss the foam mattresses that Oliver provides because they did not want to give us a credit for them. We thought that was a bit wasteful. 

• Like 2

Steph and Steve Kimball

2019 Oliver Elite II ~ Twin

Hull No. 463

We had a Southern Mattress in our Casita for almost 10 years and I believe that our 2019 E2 has Southern twins. (no label) 

They are both very comfortable and in the case of our old Casita, they seem to hold up over the years.

One preference I have of the Southern Mattress over the latex is weight; the latex seems a bit heavy to move around while getting into the bins beneath the beds. 

• Like 3

2019 Oliver Legacy Elite II 

2021 F150 PowerBoost Hybrid

1 hour ago, DaveWilkins said:

We had a Southern Mattress in our Casita for almost 10 years and I believe that our 2019 E2 has Southern twins. (no label) 

They are both very comfortable and in the case of our old Casita, they seem to hold up over the years.

One preference I have of the Southern Mattress over the latex is weight; the latex seems a bit heavy to move around while getting into the bins beneath the beds. 

"One preference I have of the Southern Mattress over the latex is weight; the latex seems a bit heavy to move around while getting into the bins beneath the beds."

That was a concern that I had too,  as I know you have to be able to access areas under the mattress. 

John and Debbie, Beaverton, Oregon,  2017 Ford Expedition EL 4x4 3.5 liter Ecoboost, with heavy duty tow package. Hull #1290, twin bed with Truma package (a/c, furnace, hot water heater with electric antifreeze option), lithium pro package, picked up November 7, 2022

spacer.png

We have Southern Mattresses.  I had them shipped to the house in 2019. There was a good savings over the KTT.  We have been happy with them.  Oliver delivered our trailer with the standard cushions.   We also purchased the hypervent from Oliver.  When we arrived home after delivery we installed the Southern Mattresses.  We carefully wrapped up the original standard bed cushions and stored them in a very dry place.  We will be including them in the sale of our trailer along with the Southern Mattresses.  I could have saved about half the shipping if I had the mattresses delivered to a commercial establishment.

• Thanks 2
  • Like 2

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, Mattnan said:

I could have saved about half the shipping if I had the mattresses delivered to a commercial establishment.

Indeed. When I order bulky items, this is often true. I have them shipped to my sister's office.

• Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Oliver is using Tochta as their optional mattress supplier, replacing KTT.  Apparently, KTT was having supply chain problems.  

We opted to have our LEII delivered in mid-February with the standard cushions.  We wanted to try the cushions before deciding to upgrade to mattresses.  When we were at Oliver to pickup Hull 990 we tried the Tochta mattresses in one of the showroom units.  I believe Oliver is using 7 inch thick Utopia mattresses from Tochta.  We decided to purchase 8" Utopia mattresses directly from Tochta.  You have more choices and will save some money by purchasing directly from Tochta. Shipping is free.  Also look online for coupons.  We got a 5% discount using an online coupon.    I recommend you see the Tochta website.

I had previously been told by Oliver that they were no longer accepting direct shipments of purchases by owners without adding a surcharge.

• Like 3

spacer.pngNorth Texas | 2022 LEII, Hull #990, delivered 2/17/22 | 2014 BMW X5 35d

We live not too far from the Southern Mattress family, so we decided to order our Ollie with only the provided foam cushions.  We figured we could change to the mattress later if needed, but we've been comfortable with the cushions.  My husband added a foam topper and I'm sleeping on just the cushions.

• Like 3

"Creativity is the fun of putting together unexpected ideas."  Hazel Edwards

• 2 months later...
  • Moderators
10 hours ago, WI-Brian said:

Does Tochta custom make the mattresses to fit the curved shape of the trailer?

As you probably already know - they say that they make any shape for any RV.  Have you called them?

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"