F350 Dash Tray Upgrade with USB

Galway Girl

Dash That USB!

As we prepare for another long  trip, we know we'll need to power dash top devices like our backup camera display and our Garmin GPS.

A good way to solve the clutter is to add some new USB outlets and some arm mounts into the stock F350 Dash Tray.
I know many of you may have already accomplished this upgrade but I thought I would share our results.

(By design the dash trays have been the same in the F150 and F250 from 2017 up through 2021.)  

Here's a before and after shot of what the Stock Tray and the tray with the Built Right Industries shelf look like.

USB's and Built Right Mount in the Dash Tray

In our case in addition to the Built Right Shelf, we added USB and Cigarette Lighter Outputs which we bought online from Amazon into that tray.  

We use the USB outputs to power our Garmin and the "cigarette adapter" to power our backup cam monitor.  

We pulled the power from these off the back of the existing cigarette lighter output which has plenty of power for these devices.  
We added inline fuses to these new plugs as a safety measure.   

Many types of USB Panel Mounts can fit the standard housing.
View from front back at USB and Cigarette Lighter in Dash Tray

891340478_finalview.jpg.7ca917545f7eff8c4887c636614014bc.jpg
View from the drivers seat.  

Here's a video showing how to remove and replace the top tray as part of this project.

Hope that encourages others to do a similar project.

Edited by Galway Girl
added video
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 3

2019 Elite II (Hull 505 - Galway Girl - August 7, 2019 Delivery) 
Tow Vehicle: 2021 F350 King Ranch, FX4, MaxTow Package, 10 Speed, 3.55 Rear Axle
Batteries Upgrade: Dual 315GTX Lithionics Lithiums - 630AH Total
Inverter/Charger: Xantrex 2000Pro 

Travel BLOG:  https://4-ever-hitched.com

IMG_5421.jpeg.c1f697a00240a9bd6729b0930bd3a4aa.jpeg

• Moderators

GG - 

Nice job.

As an update - I've had mine installed in my 2017 F-150 for over a year now and I could not be happier with it.  This thing is rock solid holding the fairly large Garmin 890 and I find the USB ports I added (similar to GG) to be very useful for my Garmin InReach mini.

If you remove the rubber mat in the Ford before drilling and installing the Built Right Shelf then the shelf can be removed (if you sell the truck or decide that you don't want it there anymore), the rubber mat replaced and you will never even know that it was there.

Bill

• Like 3

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"