Chain Binders for Anderson hitch hookup

• 8 months later...

OMG.  Way too many point for failure on a chain binder vs. the Anderson chain and super bolt/nut.  Sorry, but a Mechanical Engineer I would not recommend.

GJ

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DYI’s:  BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DYI’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Timken Bearings, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all.

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

I’m using a pair of turnbuckles with self locking stainless nuts, rather than chain binders. On my trailer they fully replace the front extension chain sections. They work MOST excellently! They are lighter but do have more failure points, OMG…..!

C0F20679-2C47-41FC-AD88-CA8168550F36.thumb.jpeg.2053449f0e7403e5f99b15cf33b1a1d5.jpeg

Andersen did not approve of ANY mod, but the tech said that a 2600 lb WLL would be OK, as long as you don’t actually adjust tension  with them. Just remove slack!

If I bust one, I will replace them both and continue on. They greatly improve the rather poor Andersen Experience. IMHO.

The reason you can’t find that thread here is that the original poster did not bother to put the subject in the title, which screws up Search.

https://olivertraveltrailers.com/forums/topic/6707-andersen-hitch-hookup-mod/#comment-72082

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 2

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

2 hours ago, John E Davies said:

I’m using a pair of turnbuckles with self locking stainless nuts, rather than chain binders. On my trailer they fully replace the front chain extensions.

I adopted John Davies' turnbuckle approach with our new Elite II picked up on November 10, 2022.  After camping 12 nights at various places in 7 states, and towing more than 2000 miles, I am pleased with the setup.  At one back-in campsite, the whale tail ended up angled relative to the hitch ball.  When reattaching the whale tail, I further loosened the turnbuckle on the "long" side, which enabled me to get the whale tail onto the bottom of the ball mount.  Then I snugged up both turnbuckles, completing the process with Robogrips.  IMHO, this is an additional benefit of the turnbuckle system.

But, the turnbuckles don't fully replace the front chain extensions on our 2022 Elite II.  They replace 10 of the necessary 23 additional links, so before leaving for Hohenwald, I bought two 15-link lengths of 3/8" chain to serve as chain extensions, to ensure that I had enough chain.  And, yep, I now get to cut two links off of each chain, as they turned out to be surplus.

Thanks, John, for the idea! 

• Like 3

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

Tow Vehicle:  2019 Tundra Double Cab 4x4, 5.7L with tow package

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

1 hour ago, Rivernerd said:

I adopted John Davies' turnbuckle approach with our new Elite II picked up on November 10, 2022.  After camping 12 nights at various places in 7 states, and towing more than 2000 miles, I am pleased with the setup.  At one back-in campsite, the whale tail ended up angled relative to the hitch ball.  When reattaching the whale tail, I further loosened the turnbuckle on the "long" side, which enabled me to get the whale tail onto the bottom of the ball mount.  Then I snugged up both turnbuckles, completing the process with Robogrips.  IMHO, this is an additional benefit of the turnbuckle system.

But, the turnbuckles don't fully replace the front chain extensions on our 2022 Elite II.  They replace 10 of the necessary 23 additional links, so before leaving for Hohenwald, I bought two 15-link lengths of 3/8" chain to serve as chain extensions, to ensure that I had enough chain.  And, yep, I now get to cut two links off of each chain, as they turned out to be surplus.

Thanks, John, for the idea! 

After one experience of having the whale tail not in line and having  a hard time hooking up, because you need to be at the same angle, now I just unhook when straight and hook up when straight again.  I take the rubber shock cords used to secure the top of the the storage basket bin and hold up the chains.  I only need to drive without the whale tail for a very short distance until I am in line with both truck and trailer.  It works for me.

John

• Like 4

John and Debbie, Beaverton, Oregon,  2017 Ford Expedition EL 4x4 3.5 liter Ecoboost, with heavy duty tow package. Hull #1290, twin bed with Truma package (a/c, furnace, hot water heater with electric antifreeze option), lithium pro package, picked up November 7, 2022

spacer.png

12 minutes ago, John Welte said:

After one experience of having the whale tail not in line and having  a hard time hooking up, because you need to be at the same angle, now I just unhook when straight and hook up when straight again.  I take the rubber shock cords used to secure the top of the the storage basket bin and hold up the chains.  I only need to drive without the whale tail for a very short distance until I am in line with both truck and trailer.  It works for me.

This is the method Andersen recommends. It is fine IF you have room to pull forward. Some really short sites don’t have that room. And if you want to hitch up the night before departure, while the truck is at an angle,  it isn’t very practical.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 2

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.