Garmin RV

John Welte

I will be towing a LE2 with a 2017 Ford Expedition with heavy duty tow package when we pick up our trailer in November.  We live in Oregon.  I know it's not a robust tv like a Ford F250 or more,  so I wonder if any of you have found a Garmin RV to be useful to keep you off grades that might be an issue.   I understand that these RV specific units might be useful.   Has anyone tried or have one of these units?   Thanks

• Like 1

John and Debbie, Beaverton, Oregon,  2017 Ford Expedition EL 4x4 3.5 liter Ecoboost, with heavy duty tow package. Hull #1290, twin bed with Truma package (a/c, furnace, hot water heater with electric antifreeze option), lithium pro package, picked up November 7, 2022

spacer.png

• Moderators

John - 

There are threads here on the Forum about the relatively new Garmin 890 (which I have)(simply type 890 in the search box).  In this Garmin - along with several other models related to RV's - they allow you to input the size of the tow vehicle along with the size of the RV.  This is then used by the Garmin to determine which roads just might not be suitable for that specific combination.

However, they do not ask for things like engine size or even the specific model of tow vehicle.  This means that even though your combination just might be the same length as mine, yours might have a smaller engine which would possibly make towing up certain grades a bit more difficult than I would experience.  I'm not aware of any GPS device that takes ALL factors into consideration. 

Having said this - the Garmin does do a good job relative to height restrictions, narrow roads and road grade warnings.  I wouldn't be without mine!

Bill

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators

P.S.

I should have mentioned above:

Stay away from the Rand McNally RV GPS.  I understand that they have recently stopped supporting their RV GPS units even though they continue to sell them.  See THIS Video on YouTube.

Bill 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

I own two Garmin GPS - one is 20 years old and I use it while driving a car in Europe- and the 890 which I used in our recent first trip. The 890 is a great unit, got me out of trouble three times especially in the Atlanta area and in construction sites great large screen.  Never got lost -really - one time that we thought it betrayed our trust, we had missed a sign 10’ X 8’ which was our fault . It is especially useful when your gas tank is only 1/4 full, red light cameras, rail crossings, traffic delays, etc etc. it is regularly updated via WiFi . Fairly expensive but well worth the price. 

• Like 5

47 minutes ago, rideandfly said:

Additional reasons we went with the Garmin 780 RV GPS. The 780 (6.95" screen) fit nicely in our center console, and we can add a wireless backup camera to Ollie that can be displayed on the GPS that transmits up to 45'.

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/p/501486

2022032321260594-226086762403236071-IMG_

I like the smaller display.   I have a similar tray in my console.   

• Like 1

John and Debbie, Beaverton, Oregon,  2017 Ford Expedition EL 4x4 3.5 liter Ecoboost, with heavy duty tow package. Hull #1290, twin bed with Truma package (a/c, furnace, hot water heater with electric antifreeze option), lithium pro package, picked up November 7, 2022

spacer.png

John,

In order to see the complete screen, I place the shifter to the left from D to S to see the complete screen. I can also see the complete screen in this position with two 16 OZ drinks in the cup holders behind the GPS unit. 

Starting to look at rear wireless camera installation on Ollie, next.

This is with the iPhone in it's cradle behind the GPS:

IMG_6752-L.jpg

• Like 1

LE2

4 minutes ago, rideandfly said:

John,

In order to see the complete screen, I place the shifter to the left from D to S to see the complete screen. I can also see the complete screen in this position with two 16 OZ drinks in the cup holders behind the GPS unit. 

Our delivery date is November 7 so we're looking at options now.   I plan on getting the back-up camera option that can be on for rearview observation while driving.   I did get a TST tpms to monitor the tire pressures and temperature.   My cockpit might start looking like a Boeing 777 before long. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

spacer.png

• Moderators
1 hour ago, rideandfly said:

I bought the Garmin BC35 for use with my Garmin 890.  Overall I've been happy with it but given how I wanted to mount the camera and WiFi sending unit there were some "issues".  I mounted the camera in the usual roof position with its wires entering the Ollie into the attic.  Unfortunately, due to the distance from there to the cabin of the truck plus the various things (insulation, cabinets, 3 layers of fiberglass shell, etc.) the transmission was spotty.

So, even though Garmin claims that there is no "extension cord" for the WiFi sending unit I did manage to purchase a cord that with very slight modification worked.  However, only one 6 foot extension would work due to the voltage drop of adding more.  The good news is that with this 6 foot extension I was able to get the WiFi sending unit into the first kitchen cabinet just inside the front door.  This location not only was sufficient for strength of signal but was handy to the electric from the switch panel just inside the front door.  I did write this up in another thread and later I'll try to find it for you.

Bill

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

• Moderators

OK - found it!

HERE is the thread from January 24, 2021 where my install of the BC35 is mentioned along with the extension cables I made work by gently sanding the male ends of the extension cord.

Can't remember if I mentioned it but besides the distance issue with transmitting the WiFi signal there is a "problem" with mounting the WiFi sending unit on the exterior of the Ollie - it is NOT waterproof!

Bill

• Thanks 2
  • Like 1

We are putting in a TPMS, TST 507 on our Ollie. Did anyone replace the Ollie rubber tire valve stems with brass valve stems for this system? One vendor says it is best to use brass valve stems.

Craig and Sheila Nickels | Marble Falls, TX

2019 Elite II, Twin, Hull #480 - Excellent Adventure | 2022 Ford F150 Power Boost

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDIAKSLAMNMSMOMTNENVNMNDOKORSDTNTXUTWAWYsm.jpg

27 minutes ago, LuckyNickels said:

We are putting in a TPMS, TST 507 on our Ollie. Did anyone replace the Ollie rubber tire valve stems with brass valve stems for this system? One vendor says it is best to use brass valve stems.

How much do they weigh? They look a little large to me.

1829517084_ScreenShot2022-04-04at10_40_30AM.thumb.png.e88c5a393d73e7ecd3b495ba138ffec8.png

These are the ones I use, they are quite compact and they don't need solid valve stems. In fact, I like the way they flex, it makes it easier to wake them up in the morning before departure, with a finger flick. They are only 0.5 ounces.

1993427660_ScreenShot2022-04-04at10_39_35AM.thumb.png.e692507e8c963808e452ec1164c8d86f.png

If you add too much weight the tire will be a little out of balance. Yours ARE balanced, correct? 😉

John Davies
Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators
23 minutes ago, LuckyNickels said:

Did anyone replace the Ollie rubber tire valve stems with brass valve stems for this system?

While I do not have the TST (mine is the EEZ Tire) I did switch to the metal stems in order to keep the sensors a bit more stable while underway.

There are both positives and negatives of doing this that have been discussed on the Forum previously.  If you tend to "off-road" and/or get yourself into situations where the valve stems are subject to being hit by rocks, tree roots, or other items of that sort then the metal ones are at a higher risk of breaking off.  But, if not, then the rubber ones are more subject to premature wear due to the vibration of the stems going down the highway.  In addition - if you are at all handy then the rubber ones are easier to replace "in the field" versus the metal ones.

Good luck with your choice.

Bill

• Like 3

I replaced my rubber stems with metal stems. I don't think it was necessary now that I've had it a while.

Even with the change over, I had one of those new stems loosen up on a trip, and I had to tighten it back up and put in air...and the TST system caught the leak.

CS

• Like 2

2019 Elite II (Hull 505 - Galway Girl - August 7, 2019 Delivery) 
Tow Vehicle: 2021 F350 King Ranch, FX4, MaxTow Package, 10 Speed, 3.55 Rear Axle
Batteries Upgrade: Dual 315GTX Lithionics Lithiums - 630AH Total
Inverter/Charger: Xantrex 2000Pro 

Travel BLOG:  https://4-ever-hitched.com

IMG_5421.jpeg.c1f697a00240a9bd6729b0930bd3a4aa.jpeg

• Moderators
2 hours ago, LuckyNickels said:

We replaced our rubber stems with metal when I installed the TST.  Mike

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• Moderators
37 minutes ago, Mike and Carol said:

We replaced our rubber stems with metal when I installed the TST.  Mike

Ditto.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.