Replace Flooded batteries with AGM

• Moderators

The PD 4045 that came in your trailer should work fine for flooded batteries or AGM.  It won’t work with Lithium.  I had to swap mine out when I went with lithiums. The new chargers have a little switch on the front that you move to lithium if you go in that direction.  I’ve still got my old charger, works fine, just not with my batteries now.  Anyone need a spare?  Mike

• Like 3

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

I'll chime in that the PD 4045 Chargers (Progressive Dynamics) built in chargers that have been in the pre 2021 Olivers ...may have a jumper switch to set them to a "Lithium" setting.  

See below the jumper (Yellow Circle) labeled WIZ or LI.
The other jumper (Green Circle)  is for setting if your battery is WET Lead Acid / AGM -or- GEL .  (All are actually lead acid chemistry.)

PD4045.thumb.jpg.83f3d3193ac5f41ce1ded12d4cbc6cc2.jpg

Normally for all Wet, AGM batteries the setting for the yellow jumper is WIZ. 
The LI setting as described by PD Service sets a constant 14.6V voltage.

The  (Wiz or Wizard) is their setting for all lead acid chemistry batteries (Wet / AGM / GEL)
The wizard provides a charging profile  needed for many LEAD acid chemistry batteries.  

The PD Uni does NOT provide a wizard or profile appropriate for Lithium....just constant V out.

Why's that matter?
When we did our upgrade to "Lithionics" batteries we were told specifically by the Lithionics Engineering team that they would NOT SUPPORT having the PD Series of chargers used with their batteries.  Specifically they wanted the charger to have a Lithium Profile included for their battery warranty and lifespan. 

Battleborn when queried told us the PD 4045 would work fine, then when challenged said they would prefer a charger with a LI profile, like those from Xantrex, Victron etc. for longest battery life.

So if you are going to use WET Lead Acid, AGM or GEL batteries, then the PD 4045 will do fine if your trailer has that charger.

If you are switching to Lithium, then double check with the battery manufacturer and let them know what specific charger is in your trailer.

2019 Elite II (Hull 505 - Galway Girl - August 7, 2019 Delivery) 
Tow Vehicle: 2021 F350 King Ranch, FX4, MaxTow Package, 10 Speed, 3.55 Rear Axle
Batteries Upgrade: Dual 315GTX Lithionics Lithiums - 630AH Total
Inverter/Charger: Xantrex 2000Pro 

Travel BLOG:  https://4-ever-hitched.com

IMG_5421.jpeg.c1f697a00240a9bd6729b0930bd3a4aa.jpeg

Kingofpauls' Ollie doesn't have that lithium jumper/ switch, it is too early, as is mine (218). OTH it is a fairy easy upgrade for around $140 in parts.

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

7 hours ago, Mike and Carol said:

The PD 4045 that came in your trailer should work fine for flooded batteries or AGM.  It won’t work with Lithium.  I had to swap mine out when I went with lithiums. The new chargers have a little switch on the front that you move to lithium if you go in that direction.  I’ve still got my old charger, works fine, just not with my batteries now.  Anyone need a spare?  Mike

3 hours ago, John E Davies said:

Kingofpauls' Ollie doesn't have that lithium jumper/ switch, it is too early, as is mine (218). OTH it is a fairy easy upgrade for around $140 in parts.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Here's the switch Mike mentioned on the upgrade panel John also mentioned, same upgrade we installed for our Battleborn Lithium as recommended by Battleborn. We also have a spare older working panel for LA if anyone needs one.

IMG_6021-L.jpg

IMG_6018-L.jpg

IMG_6019-L.jpg

Here's Progressive Dynamic's installation and operation guide download for the PD 4000 series power control center for LA & LI batteries:

https://www.progressivedyn.com/wp-content/uploads/Support/manuals/110145-English.pdf

• Like 1

LE2