Fuel expenses

geO

About using E85, our last  2016 Toyota Tundra had a 5.7L flex fuel engine. Never used E85 because the oil change intervals could be cut in 1/2 from 5,000 miles to 2,500 miles, I do the maintenance on our vehicles when I run out of free oil changes with new vehicles, did not want the extra work.

Here's additional information at about E85:

https://tundraheadquarters.com/five-things-you-may-not-know-about-flex-fuel-engines/

LE2

59 minutes ago, rideandfly said:

About using E85, our last  2016 Toyota Tundra had a 5.7L flex fuel engine. Never used E85 because the oil change intervals could be cut in 1/2 from 5,000 miles to 2,500 miles, I do the maintenance on our vehicles when I run out of free oil changes with new vehicles, did not want the extra work.

Here's additional information at about E85:

https://tundraheadquarters.com/five-things-you-may-not-know-about-flex-fuel-engines/

No difference in Ford’s recommended oil change interval for E85 vs gasoline, but the oil change interval (and other maintenance) is reduced to 5,000 miles for towing use (vs 7,500 miles for non-towing use) .   But one odd requirement if using E85 is to run a full tank of regular unleaded gasoline when the oil is changed. 

9B298A0A-9BC5-4BB6-8CF5-850BF7BBC6AF.jpeg

• Like 2

Yep, that's interesting about running full tank of regular when oil is changed. Never ran E85 in our 2016 Tundra and our 2022 Tundra is not flex fuel, it uses regular 87 and has 10,000 mile oil/filter change intervals except for 5,000 miles when towing. Finally achieved my 17MPG goal towing on hills and flat-lands yesterday four lanes and interstate, it's happy at 2200RPM towing Ollie around 61MPH in 7th gear with cruise on the interstate.

Just washed Ollie, getting ready to put in storage until next adventure! 🙂

• Like 4

LE2

• Moderators
3 hours ago, rideandfly said:

washed Ollie, getting ready to put in storage until next adventure! 🙂

Waiting for the leaves to change. The dogwoods are changing,  a few tulip trees are yellowing, the cicadas are more quiet/less numerous. 

If we didn't have appointments at home, in Florida,  we'd be out exploring.  

But, it's still four to five weeks til peak, around asheville, usually.  

Growing up in the Midwest, I love the leaf change, and fall. It can get cool/cold, but we're always snug and warm in our Ollie .

• Like 4

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

10 minutes ago, SeaDawg said:

Waiting for the leaves to change. The dogwoods are changing,  a few tulip trees are yellowing, the cicadas are more quiet/less numerous. 

If we didn't have appointments at home, in Florida,  we'd be out exploring.  

But, it's still four to five weeks til peak, around asheville, usually.  

Growing up in the Midwest, I love the leaf change, and fall. It can get cool/cold, but we're always snug and warm in our Ollie .

Gas prices in the NC Blue Ridge Mountains was around $3.25 last week.

We enjoy seeing leaves change at different elevations on the BRP. Going to get some work done at home until the leaves start changing on the BRP, and we will be exploring again. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

LE2

• 2 months later...
  • Moderators

Since the reference is vague, I don't think so. 

We'll go on, apolitical. 

I am glad to see a few spots here in Florida,  under $3. 

A week ago, we paid $1.40 or so, a liter. In Chile/patagonia  .

Happy Thanksgiving.  Tree is up, lights on. Ready for decorating tomorrow. 

20221123_194559.jpg

• Like 3

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

2 minutes ago, Mike and Carol said:

Diesel is $4.54 here in south Texas.

It's about a dollar or more here in Oregon

John

John and Debbie, Beaverton, Oregon,  2017 Ford Expedition EL 4x4 3.5 liter Ecoboost, with heavy duty tow package. Hull #1290, twin bed with Truma package (a/c, furnace, hot water heater with electric antifreeze option), lithium pro package, picked up November 7, 2022

spacer.png

• Moderator+
16 hours ago, katanapilot said:

Elections have consequences.

Yes, I know, this probably violates some forum rule. 

Truth

• Like 1

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

• Moderators

A reminder to all, from the Forum Guidelines:

"Welcome to the Oliver Forum, a great place for Oliver Travel Trailer owners and future owners to interact, share knowledge, solve problems, and most importantly, to develop friendships. Respectful and considerate responses help build this community."

This forum exists to help current owners and future owners understand all the intricacies of an Oliver travel trailer and to get the most pleasure from it while exploring this wonderful land we all give thanks for.  Please keep all comments aligned with this purpose in mind.

Thank you, and Happy Thanksgiving!

• Like 3

Pete & "Bosker".    TV -  '18 F150 Super-cab Fx4; RV  - "The Wonder Egg";   '08 Elite, Hull Number 014.

Travel blog of 1st 10 years' wanderings - http://www.peteandthewonderegg.blogspot.com

visited-united-states-map (2).pngvisited-canadian-provinces-map.png

ABBCMBNBNLNSONPEQCSKYTALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNJNMNYNCNDOHOKORPAPRSCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYsm.jpg

4 hours ago, 2008RN said:

Here in the Left Coast we are down to 4.19 Gas, 4.98 Diesel. 

During our recent trip from Idaho to Hohenwald, we found that gas prices dropped, generally, the further east we went.  We paid $2.99 per gallon for 85 octane gas at one place, I believe, in Arkansas.  Most places in Tennessee were a bit above $3 per gallon.

We found the reverse as we traveled back west.  The closer to home we got, the higher the price.  The highest price for gas we paid was in Idaho, over $4 per gallon for 85 octane regular.

• Like 1

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

Tow Vehicle:  2019 Tundra Double Cab 4x4, 5.7L with tow package

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

48 minutes ago, Rivernerd said:

During our recent trip from Idaho to Hohenwald, we found that gas prices dropped, generally, the further east we went.  We paid $2.99 per gallon for 85 octane gas at one place, I believe, in Arkansas.  Most places in Tennessee were a bit above $3 per gallon.

We found the reverse as we traveled back west.  The closer to home we got, the higher the price.  The highest price for gas we paid was in Idaho, over $4 per gallon for 85 octane regular.

That was exactly our experience too! 

Hope your trip back went smoothly.  I came back on I-84 through Wyoming.  It was cold, but the roads were dry.  Happy Thanksgiving to you!

John

• Like 1

John and Debbie, Beaverton, Oregon,  2017 Ford Expedition EL 4x4 3.5 liter Ecoboost, with heavy duty tow package. Hull #1290, twin bed with Truma package (a/c, furnace, hot water heater with electric antifreeze option), lithium pro package, picked up November 7, 2022

spacer.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

$2.79 at Costco,  Pooler Georgia,  yesterday. $2 79 at Costco,  Spartanburg,  SC,  yesterday .

Over $3 everywhere else nearby in nc,,outside asheville. 

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Mike and Carol said:

Diesel was $4.19 here today in Boerne, TX.

Very close to $5 everywhere along i95, southeast. Hard to understand the difference  

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• Moderator+
2 hours ago, rideandfly said:

Seeing diesel locally $4.65 to $4.70 in our area of NC

What’s gas prices in your area of Texas?

Diesel is still around $4.50, gas is under $3.00. In Tupelo. 

• Like 1

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

• Moderators
9 hours ago, rideandfly said:

Seeing diesel locally $4.65 to $4.70 in our area of NC

What’s gas prices in your area of Texas?

Where I get gas (HEB Supermarket) regular is $2.65 and Premium is $3.29.

• Like 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS