Leaking windows when it rains

I'm baffled!  It seems that my Oliver does not like to be rained on!!

For the second time, I have had leaks on both side windows, at one time or another.  I checked the tracks, removed the white strip gaskets, and there is apparently no reason for a leak there.  The second time, it soaked the mattress!  We are not happy.

Just bought silicone caulk to seal the windows, if needed.  Why, in a camper that is otherwise so well made, that we pay a premium price for, do we have this problem?  It beats me.

Does anyone have the same problem, and if so...have you solved it?

Charlie

• Sad 1

Charlie

Hull 734 - 2021 Oliver Elite II

pulled by F-150

Out of Florida

The first step is to make sure it is actually the windows. A roof leak can let water run down inside the air gap between inner and outer hulls and appear as a window leak. 

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 3

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Hi Charlie,

Sorry to hear!  Is your camper new?  We first stopped at a location where a cold front was moving through.  It rained and then snowed like no tomorrow and then temps plummeted that night.  A day later when things started thawing out we experienced a leak on the side window by the galley.  This was a brand new unit so I knew the window tracks were clean but I checked them anyway.  Nothing there.  I suspect the water from the rain froze in the tracks and blocked the weep holes and then came the leak.  After all was thawed and the weeps holes were clear, the leak stopped and has not returned since.... 2 1/2 months now.  Best of luck 🙂

John

• Like 2

Oliver II #996 "Bessie", 2019 Silverado LTZ 5.3, Veterans

https://wenandjohnsadventure.com/

We purchased Ollie used and initially had two leaks, one coming in at the top of the dinette window from the exterior light above the window and one coming in from the rear Oliver sign lens leaking on the starboard bed from the rear window.

Removed the exterior light fixture over the dinette window, then resealed leaving a drain in the bottom of the "old style" light fixture and have not had leaks there for years.

Had to remove the rear Oliver sign lens and reseal stopping that leak for years, too.

In both cases the water traveled down from exterior leak between inner & outer hulls coming out at the windows.

Hope this helps!

• Like 4

LE2

I really appreciate all the "immediate" replies.  So, I'll attempt to reply to all of you with a big "Thank You"!   Yes, my unit is 734, picked up a year ago Feb.  That's 2021. 

Now, How do I determine whether it's a roof leak between the hulls, or a window leak.  

And, the comment about the "rain guard"...you seemed imply that it helps "somewhat".  I'm praying for a permanent fix, not a half way fix.  Is that at all possible?

Charlie

Charlie

Hull 734 - 2021 Oliver Elite II

pulled by F-150

Out of Florida

• Moderator+
6 minutes ago, Citrus breeze said:

And, the comment about the "rain guard"...you seemed imply that it helps "somewhat".  I'm praying for a permanent fix, not a half way fix.  Is that at all possible?

Charlie

Yes it is, and I agree with you about wanting a permanent fix. 

• Like 1

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

3 hours ago, John E Davies said:

The first step is to make sure it is actually the windows. A roof leak can let water run down inside the air gap between inner and outer hulls and appear as a window leak. 

John Davies

Spokane WA

I'm fairly certain that under the right circumstances condensation between the hulls can do the same thing. I had an occasional small drip coming from 2 of my windows until I started making an effort to keep the humidity down inside. Once I did, the dripping ceased.

• Thanks 2
  • Like 2

2010 Elite II, Hull #45.  2014 Toyota Sequoia Platinum 4WD 5.7 with tow package.

• Moderators

The trim lock or ez rv gutters is most helpful to keep weepholes from being "overpowered" in heavy rain. They don't replace proper installation and caulking, but they do "help" to direct rain away from the windows and weepholes.

I'm surprised both sides' windows show "leaks." Over the years,for us,  it's usually been only one side that has an issue. I usually look to the Oliver third tail light as first culprit, but not sure in your case. That typically appears as a "leak" in the rear window, and some moisturein the attic.

Much depends on how you are set up, side to side, front to back levels.  A tiny bubble/gap in caulk can create a significant leak in a downpour.  The fiberglass hull flexes as it goes down the road, and can stretch or break caulk.

Since you say you have leaks on both sides, I'd probably be looking at rooftop, personally.  Possibly ac. Are the bolts to the ac torqued properly?  If you typically camp nose high, a bit, as we do, could be fan, as well. 

I like to use duct tape to figure out where a leak has originated. Any penetration, window or roof, can be the culprit. Our habit is to seal a suspected tiny leak with a strip of tape, and see if it helps in the next storm. If it does not, move on to the next likely culprit penetration. 

And, here's another. If you lift the leveling jacks higher on one side, does the leak disappear on that side, and only show on the low side? If so, it's probably a roof penetration, not a window.

Double hull can make it more difficult to "think like a raindrop, " as a roofer friend told me years ago. Water travels hidden, but always find the lower spot.

I suspect you opened a service ticket before,  but please do so, again, anyway. It only helps Oliver get better, even if you find the cause yourself.

• Like 5

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

We had leaks appearing at the bed window frames (sides).

Turned out to be the lights on the outside.

The light housing had an outer seal, but the small hole for the wires was not caulked, nor were the screws holding the housing to the trailer.

The trailer wall tips back just enough to let water flow back into the screw holes and then inside, down the wall and out the window frame.  Enough to soak the bedding, surprisingly.

Once the screw holes were sealed, no more leaks.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

2019 Legacy Elite II #488 - Delivery July 24, 2019
2018 F150 Platinum SC SB EB - Leer canopy

• Moderators
23 minutes ago, thirddoor said:

Once the screw holes were sealed, no more leaks.

Thanks for that info. 

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• 1 month later...

I'll tack on to this thread since it includes a lot of suggestions for tracking down leaks.  I have one to add.  I had a small leak under the curbside window the first time it rained on us and have been trouble shooting the last week.   I may have found the problem.  The track that the window slides in has a black fuzzy strip that the window pane slides on.  There are holes every inch or two that allow rainwater to flow underneath and out of the inner weep holes in the window frame.  At the end of the black fuzzy strip near the stove there is a screw and rubber/plastic sort of grommet that serves as a stop for the window at fully open.   Well this screw goes right through the bottom of that drainage channel/window track.  So there are 5 ways for water to escape:  the four weep holes and this screw hole.  I verified that a small amount of water poured into the window track would flow out the weep holes, but also could make its way over to the screw hole and then run out underneath the window, down across the belly band, and onto the seat above the water pump area.  Oliver Service said that there should have been a butyl rubber strip laid down by the window manufacturer before the screw was put in.  They will be sending a rubber strip out for me to install.  I’ll also assess using a dab of silicone instead.  So add this to the list of potential window leak causes.  I'm wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem or if other windows have been constructed differently through the years.  It seems like a bad design on the part of the window manufacturer to put a screw through the bottom of the window track that doubles as a drainage channel.    

window3.jpg

• Thanks 5
  • Like 3

2016 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 Max Tow | 2022 Oliver Elite II - Hull#1034 'Hullabaloo' 

• Moderator+

Good work in troubleshooting and reporting this problem. This will help someone else down the line. 

• Like 3

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

• 4 months later...
  • Moderator+
On 4/5/2022 at 1:34 PM, Citrus breeze said:

Yes, my unit is 734, picked up a year ago Feb.  That's 2021.

Charlie

You really need to add this info to your signature. It will greatly aid others in helping you with future questions. Also include information about your tow vehicle. 

• Like 1

We had what appears to be the same experience as @Steve and Cindy following delivery of our LEII.  Water ran down the wall below the windows to pool along the edge of the beds.  Their description of the leak matches what we saw.  

We returned to Hohenwald, where Oliver Service resolved the problem.  They reported a butyl rubber seal had not been installed by the manufacturer of the windows.  Oliver installed the butyl seal and returned the trailer to us within about two hours.  Since this corrective measure was taken we have NOT had any leaks from the windows, nor elsewhere.

Our Hull is #990.  I suspect there was a batch of windows with this problem in common.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

spacer.pngNorth Texas | 2022 LEII, Hull #990, delivered 2/17/22 | 2014 BMW X5 35d

On 5/17/2022 at 3:58 PM, Steve and Cindy said:

I'm wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem or if other windows have been constructed differently through the years.  It seems like a bad design on the part of the window manufacturer to put a screw through the bottom of the window track that doubles as a drainage channel.    

Steve:  I posted last year another surce of what you documented.  Mine only required a minor adjustment to the window track water mlanagement strips.   Between your and my posts I think we have complelmentary things to look at when suspecting a leaking window area.

GJ

• Like 2

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DYI’s:  BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DYI’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Timken Bearings, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all.

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg