Sad end to our Ollie #664 Adventures but not the end of our travels

QuestionMark

All, 

We are down but not out with our RV travel plans going forward.  This weekend, we were on day three of our planed 3 week trip to Southern Utah to enjoy the National Parks.  We stopped off on Friday night (day 3) at a nice little NM State Park (Oasis State Park).  Our morning was relaxing and we had plans to travel to Fort Sumner to see Billy the Kids grave.  Our truck and camper at Oasis State Park. 

IMG_3004.thumb.jpeg.ae5865bf4ffaa2800d2a7ea4c54bd023.jpeg 

Not to much into our morning drive somewhere between Clovis, NM and Fort Sumner, NM, we were faced with a truck coming into our lane at the last moment. We were not sure if it was a game of chicken for him or someone having a medical emergency.   My dash cam caught the approaching truck and driver.

IMG_3013.thumb.jpeg.ee65f21f87d127800683826595d937e1.jpegIMG_3012.thumb.jpeg.ac4845b8ef344b34e888a56cb57ffed6.jpeg

In a split second I had to decide to have a head-on or try to avoid.   I chose to avoid the head-on option as my years as an EMT is etched into my brain.   As a result of the rapid turn to the right and the upcoming curve, the truck/trailer exited the roadway and started to slide.  No control at this point!   We rolled approximately 3 times and came to rest on the driver's side.   The side airbags deployed and my wife and I (and the cat) were unharmed.  Sadly, the guy who ran us off the road kept going and almost took out the young family traveling behind us according to the driver....   So glad he missed them!

IMG_3016.thumb.jpeg.15addb5114e3ae0929ec37a68f945bad.jpegIMG_3020.thumb.jpeg.62d204140b6f1cf99faac63bbd42f95f.jpeg

There was a nice young couple with a baby that had been following us for the past 10-20 miles and he was successful in breaking out the back glass for us to exit the vehicle.  We also met a couple that had been following the driver of the dodge truck and were filming him as he as driving all over the road.   Thankfully, they stayed with us to provide the video and make a statement to the Sheriff Deputy that responded.   

As stated earlier, both my wife, cat, and I were unharmed as we must have had angels watching over us.   The responding EMS and Fire crews from Fort Sumner were exceptional, in that, they really went above and beyond in helping us with getting us storage bins from a local dollar store and driving my wife back to Clovis to get a U-haul truck for us to drive home.   One guy drove home to get us a cat carrier for our 17 year old cat who was quite scared at this point!  What an awesome individual.  

We were at the scene about 5 hours as the drive back to Clovis was 40-min each way and we had to pick up all our belongings.   It was a long 700+ mile trip back home in a less than comfortable U-Haul truck.  

We are actively seeking to locate a used Ollie LE II for us to purchase as we LOVED our trailer and we are ready to get back out and enjoy life seeing our wonderful country.  

Based on our experience, I would highly recommend you get a dash camera as it has really made the investigation and insurance  discussions go much smoother.  

Safe travels to all the Ollie owners out there this season and be on the lookout for this Dodge truck!.

Mark and Cyndi 

IMG_3020.jpeg

IMG_3015.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Care 4
  • Wow 7
  • Sad 12

2020 F250 Lariat Supercrew 6.7 Diesel 4x4

2020 Oliver Legacy Elite I  *   Hull #664 (April 2, 2022 Incident)

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II * Hull #293 (Purchased Used April 16, 2022)

Located SE Texas Region

ABBCYTAKAZARCACOIDLAMSMTNVNMORSDTNTXUTWA

Holy cow, you are so very lucky to be alive. Good luck with your search for a new truck and a new Ollie. Stuff can be replaced, lives cannot. 

I installed a dash cam several years ago, I have recorded lots of stop sign and red light runners, but thankfully there hasn’t been a collision.

Did the guy ever get arrested? I think your insurance companies will want a word or two with him.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 10

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators

Mark and Cyndi,

Oh , wow. I am so very thankful that all of you, including the couple and baby behind, survived. Angels were watching over you, I am sure.

As I fight back tears, I'm so very happy no one was seriously injured. 

What a difference seconds can make.

• Like 7

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

As a side note and something my wife both found somewhat funny during this difficult time was when we had several people tell us that our "boat" did not look so good.   I had to show them a picture of the truck and trailer together for them to see it was a RV and not a Boat.   

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Haha 2

Located SE Texas Region

What a terrifying experience! Thank goodness you all were not injured.  Wishing you the best in your future travels and in your hunt for an E2. 

Kirk

• Thanks 1
  • Like 4

Kirk and Carrie Peterson

Twin Falls, Idaho

2018 Ram 3500, with overland conversion: Rooftop tent, water, stove, Battle Born batteries, lockers, onboard air, raised air intake, Warn winch. 

2023 Elite 2, twin beds, delivered December 5, 2022 Truma package, lithium platinum package.
Hull #1305

I forgot, you both really need to get checked out medically, you can have all sorts of whiplash injuries from a high speed rollover, better make sure those aches are not broken bones or worse.

I guess this may sound a little morbid, but can you post the full video of the accident?

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 5

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Since moving to NC I have liked the idea for states to have only a rear license plate.   Until now.    Very glad you survived this ordeal and wish you the best.   And, like many others ... I hope they find this *******.   He needs to pay.  

• Thanks 1
  • Like 6

Gregg & Donna Scott and Missy the Westie  -    The Flying Sea Turtle - Hull # 145     Western NC

CTDEGAMDMANHNJNYNCPASCTNVAxlg.jpg

Wow!  That is a terrible accident.  Glad you are ok.   Hope you are able to find a replacement trailer and can continue with your travel plans in the future.  And I hope the video is enough to help the police identify the other vehicle & driver.  

• Thanks 1
  • Like 4

• Moderators

1.  And certainly by far this IS #1 - Glad everyone is OK!  Given the pictures, the alternative(s) could have been sooooooo much worse.

2.  Given your description - that Ford and that Oliver did remarkably well.  Can you imagine what a stick built camper would have looked like after that accident?

3.  Big props to the responders (let alone those traveling behind you) for all the help.  Obviously this was not simply another case of them just doing their jobs as they went well above and beyond.

4.  When things get settled a bit you might want to forward any pictures you have of the truck and camper to Oliver.  I'm certain that the entire Family would be interested but, in particular the engineering staff would want to see a real life destroyed Ollie.  Its interesting to me how the top three shells separated from the bottom outside shell.

5.  If there is anything that I can do for you - please do not hesitate to let me know!

Bill

• Thanks 1
  • Like 4

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Topgun2 and all others that responded,

Thanks for your kind words and support.  My wife and I are truly blessed to have the Oliver community's support and guidance.   We are still feeling great with no lasting issues or pain.  I do wake up each morning replaying the incident in my mind.   I am sure it will take awhile for this to go away.  I still feel confident that I made the right decision to avoid the other driver as we are both still here and able to let others know about our incident.  The Oliver trailer handled perfectly throughout the event but the gravel combined with some signs and obstacles I think initiated the rollover.  I agree it was surprising to see the trailer separate at the seams but at travel speed I am sure there were extreme stresses put on the fiberglass shells.   I think our desire to seek out another Oliver is a testament to our thoughts on how we feel about the overall quality of the Olivers and how they handle when towing.   We were able to find us a replacement used truck here at a local Ford dealer as they informed us that Ford was no longer taking orders for Super Duty trucks as of April 1st.  This will allow us to move up to the Oliver LE2 as we think we will want to take longer trips.  Our LE1 was perfect for us and had we not been involved in this accident, we would have kept it for many more years before even considering moving up to the 2.  

Also,

When we came to a stop after the rollover, our truck and trailer was facing the opposite direction (East) from our West bound travel.  We were still on the shoulder of the West bound lane.   

Attached is the video from the people following the East bound Dodge truck before the incident.  Please note that they were recording him as he was driving all over the road prior to coming at us.  Sadly, they were tryin to stay far away from him so as not to be in an accident and therefore you really can not see a license plate on the rear of the truck.   It does offer support for the driver of the Dodge not being under control of his vehicle.

As for my micro SD card in the dash cam, it appears we corrupted it when trying to download the files to my iPhone using a cheap adapter.  We dowloaded t the video of right up until the incident but not the actual crash and captured some screen shots of the phone of the crash video attached above.  I should have just used the wifi connection to the dash cam but I was not thinking clearly right after the wreck.

Sincerely,

Mark and Cyndi + Midnight the Cat

• Like 7
  • Wow 3

Located SE Texas Region

3 hours ago, ScottyGS said:

Since moving to NC I have liked the idea for states to have only a rear license plate.   Until now.    Very glad you survived this ordeal and wish you the best.   And, like many others ... I hope they find this *******.   He needs to pay.  

We live in Oregon where it's required to have both front and rear license plates.   I think it's crazy to not have both ends with license plates.   The dash cam would catch the number on the plate in this case and make it easier to catch the guy.   Now all they have is the truck appearance and if the driver had his mouth open,  then maybe the images of his surprised wide open mouth would help identify him through dental records. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

John and Debbie, Beaverton, Oregon,  2017 Ford Expedition EL 4x4 3.5 liter Ecoboost, with heavy duty tow package. Hull #1290, twin bed with Truma package (a/c, furnace, hot water heater with electric antifreeze option), lithium pro package, picked up November 7, 2022

spacer.png

1 hour ago, topgun2 said:

Can you imagine what a stick built camper would have looked like after that accident?

We've seen stick-built campers that rolled. Nothing left but debris and the frame.

1 hour ago, topgun2 said:

Its interesting to me how the top three shells separated from the bottom outside shell.

I was looking at that, too. Looks like the mass of the interior shell popped the outer belt seam open like a plastic Easter egg during the roll. Wondering if the inner shell also separated into its two halves, or stayed together?

@QuestionMark I hope your insurance comes through quickly and you can get back on the road in an LE2 soon.

• Like 5

Stephanie and Dudley from CT.  2022 LE2, Hull #1150: Eggcelsior.

Tow vehicle: 2016 GMC Sierra 6.0 gas dually 4x4.

Our Oliver journey: Steph and Dud B's RV Screed

Where we've been RVing since 1999:

ALAZCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpg.b96241bad6752dec89d25af6ffbc8d99.jpg

First of all... so thankful that you are physically ok!  Everything else pales in comparison.  That said I have also wondered why states (Ohio included) have done away with the requirement for the front license plates?   Good luck on your search for a quick replacement.   They aren't easy to find... but I've a sneaking feeling that the same God that protected you in that crash... will bless you in your replacement search as well.   You will probably find yourselves in a late model LEII all tricked out with the best mods, improvements and gizmos... all ready to hit the road again....but hardly used!  🙂

• Thanks 1
  • Like 6

2022 Elite II, Hull #1097  Elli Rose 🌹 and she has the solar panels with the 390Ah lithium batteries.  Our tow vehicle is a 2019 Ford Lariat F-150 4wd, 3.5L Eco-boost, 3.55 rear end, with the Max tow package.  Elli Rose also has the street side awning and several walnut and cherry mods on the inside.

TravelMap.png.b89ef2d7bc27b1ea3b58f831ca5bd799.png

• Moderators

Wow, that is quite an accident!  So glad you are okay!!  I have a dash cam that I don’t use much…. looks like yours provided key evidence.

It’s interesting that the trailer separated the way it did, just leaving the bottom outer hull.  

There’s another Oliver out there waiting for you - hope you can get back on the road soon!!  Mike

• Thanks 1
  • Like 4

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

This is one of my worst nightmares!   I am so happy you and your loved ones are alive!  I have noticed in recent years how many people are distracted and crossing the centerline.   I see it and am on the lookout all the time, even within five miles of my house!    I can't even imagine the terror of rolling with camper in tow.  Blessings to you and your search for a new Ollie 🙂 ♥️

• Like 7
  • Care 2

2020 Toyota Tundra TRD Sport 5.7L V8 

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II  Hull #184 ~ "ILOVHER"

So glad you are okay.  Must have been horrifying for sure.  As people have mentioned, stuff can be replaced.  Really hope you are made whole by the insurance companies and that you're able to get back to camping as soon as reasonably possible.  Your concern for the family that was traveling behind you speaks to the kind of people you are.  And you are handling the whole thing incredibly well given that you can laugh about people that mentioned your boat not faring too well.  

• Like 5

ALCTKYMENHNYNCPATNVTVAWVsm.jpg2021 Elite 2 Hull # 832 "Bucket List"

2021 F250 7.3L Gas / 4.30 AR

I am so thank full that you were not hurt. That is truly a blessing from God. I know of a couple that was not so luck on the Colorado mountain roads. It is very sad to see that happen to an Oliver. I know that for most of us we are smitten over our Olivers.  I know that there will be an Oliver II out there for you in your future.

• Like 3

Early 1999 Ford F250 SD 7.3L Diesel 

2020 Elite II Twin -  Hull # 648

Had a thought....   If you have not found this guy yet.    You might want to post on the Oliver FB group and ask members who live in the area this happened in to post and share the crap out of the photo of the driver.  Give the PD information / phone number / case number.   Someone in that area will know this guy and just might drop a dime on him.   Again, very glad you are ok.  Best of luck in finding a new Oliver and getting out there again. 

Scotty 

• Like 7

Gregg & Donna Scott and Missy the Westie  -    The Flying Sea Turtle - Hull # 145     Western NC

CTDEGAMDMANHNJNYNCPASCTNVAxlg.jpg