Comparing wheel bearing grease

Interesting difference in specs for wheel bearing grease, even though both are the same NLGI service rating of GC-LB for wheel bearing grease.  

Mobil 1 synthetic lists an operating temperature range of -40 to +320 F

Redline CV-2 synthetic lists an operating temperature range of -100 to + 500 F.  

And the Redline CV-2 label lists a drop point (the temp at which it liquifies) of >800 F.  

No drop point on the Mobil 1 label, but from what I could find on their website, the drop point is 550 F.

So I’m going with the Redline CV-2 for my Oliver wheel bearing service project.  Also installing genuine Timken bearings (bought from western PA authorized Timken distributor, and confirmed as authentic with the WBA app).

I’ll use the Mobil 1 grease on our bicycles  🙂.  

7C3DE358-17C1-4652-97DF-7ECC594A450A.jpeg

How do the prices compare? Doe the oil separate from th waxy carrier in the Mobile 1? Redline does but only a tiny tiny amount.... so it is great for the suspension, it doesn't leave a drooly mess. I am a huge Redline fanboy....

John Davies
Spokane WA

• Like 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

1 hour ago, John E Davies said:

How do the prices compare? Doe the oil separate from th waxy carrier in the Mobile 1? Redline does but only a tiny tiny amount.... so it is great for the suspension, it doesn't leave a drooly mess. I am a huge Redline fanboy....

John Davies
Spokane WA

The Redline product is a bit more. $16 for a 14oz jar of CV-2 direct from the Redline website.

$14 for the 16oz can of Mobil 1 @ Advance Auto.   But this is definitely one area where I don’t want to be pinching pennies.   

And I haven’t used to Mobil 1 yet for anything, haven’t even opened the can, so I can’t comment on whether it separates.

I’ve been using Lucas Red-n-Tacky grease in my grease gun for all the suspension Zerk grease points.   It doesn’t drool at all, doesn’t wash out, great water resistance.  

• Like 2

Correction on the cost (and I updated the previous post).  I had to go back and check my receipts.    

The Redline product is a bit more. $16 for a 14oz jar of CV-2 direct from the Redline website.

$14 for the 16oz can of Mobil 1 @ Advance Auto.   
So not any huge difference in cost.