Battery maintenance for 4.5 month storage

• Moderators

carnivore, That is exactly what I did and although I don’t remember that video specifically, I must have watched it and I’ll have to check my YouTube history.  I do believe Nate is a pretty smart guy and his solution is very economical.  My breaker and enclosure costs were less than $30.

Mossey

• Like 2

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

Mossey, I saw the picture of your switch and that makes sense.  My interest in wanting to install a panel cut-off switch using only the positive is purely ascetics.  I already installed a battery cutoff switch for the battery positive lead using a Blue Sea switch.    I was hoping to have side by side Blue Sea switches, one for batteries and the second for the panels. If both positive and negative panel leads must be simultaneously switched, then I will be forced to change my plans.  

AD2CB3C1-8D2E-4A9F-A650-FB3EAA31114B.jpeg

12 hours ago, carnivore said:

Anyone have any input, knowledge or discussion of any potential problems with installing a Blue Sea switch on only the positive wire between the solar panels and the charge controller?

As I mentioned in my post earlier in this thread, a Blue Seas 6006 switch was OTT standard in my 2021 Elite 2.   It is a single-pole switch, positive side only.  It is installed between the panels and the controller.   I will call Zamp Tech Support tomorrow to get their advice on single or dual circuit disconnect and let you all know what they say. 

A82F64A5-9033-4907-84DA-8FFAE65DDD44.jpeg

65DF6D30-BCD1-40CD-97DB-4E8EB67C56CF.jpeg

• Thanks 2

“Ramble” - 2021 Legacy Elite II #797;  2020 Ford F-250

On 5/7/2022 at 3:33 PM, carnivore said:

Mike, I look forward to what you learn from Zamp.

I called Zamp Tech Support on Monday to ask them these questions, I had a lengthy discussion with Lane.   He admitted to me that he was not familiar with the NEC Codes referenced in the video, but  advised he had never had a technical question about this issue.   He said he would check around and get back to me if he found out otherwise.   He also could not think of any technical reason not to install a single pole disconnect just as OTT installed mine, but could not guarantee anything because the custom install is not a Zamp design, it’s Oliver.   He suggested I query Oliver on any concerns I might have.   I gave it some thought, and decided I have no concerns, I’m satisfied with the wiring setup I have.   This isn’t the only issue that might be a code violation, for example, most of us can agree  the AC plug  for the refrigerator  is definitely not a safe installation, but also relatively easy to correct.  That’s covered well in John Davies posts.   So in sum, I respectfully submit I am not an certified electrical expert.  Im just relaying what I think I heard from Zamp, so please don’t shoot the messenger.    I’d like to add that I have called Zamp several times in past few years with questions, and they never fail to impress me with their knowledge and help.

• Like 2

Another consideration for those that wish to install a single pole switch such as the BlueSeas 6006.   It’s rated for 48V max, 300A continuous.   Zamp confirmed to me that the dual Zamp 170W panels and 30A PWM controller that has been the standard with many OTT solar packages will not exceed 24V,  and optimum amperage is about 17-18A at 60% SOC.   So the BlueSeas  6006 switch is more than adequate.  However, Zamp cautioned me that some MPPT controllers may  exceed the 48V max in certain conditions, so caution should be used if you are considering this modification. 

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

I am attempting to have a cutoff switch for the solar put in-I got a Blue Seas switch as mentioned above-it appears that our porthole (we are a 2018 Oliver #366) in the cabinet to the left of the pantry is bigger than in previous years, and the switch won't fit as it does in the picture above. Does anyone have any ideas as to where a good place for the switch would be? Thanks very much.

Kim and David Thompson Nomads' Nest 2018 LE2 #366 2018 Toyota Tundra, 4x4, 5.7L

10 hours ago, thompsonkd said:

I am attempting to have a cutoff switch for the solar put in-I got a Blue Seas switch as mentioned above-it appears that our porthole (we are a 2018 Oliver #366) in the cabinet to the left of the pantry is bigger than in previous years, and the switch won't fit as it does in the picture above. Does anyone have any ideas as to where a good place for the switch would be? Thanks very much.

Consider having it installed on the battery connection side of the controller where it'll be more useful. Under the bunk near the circuit breaker is the most logical location. Instead of a switch though, I just replaced the original 40 amp Shortstop with a switchable breaker like the 60 amp one used for the main DC disconnect.

• Like 1