TPMS sensors and valve stem failures

I have the TireTraker TPMS with the external sensors that thread onto the valve stem in place of the normal valve caps.  While doing my spring cleaning on the Ollie, I noticed that all 4 aluminum rims have a wear mark on the rim directly adjacent to the valve stem (see picture).  In researching this a bit, I found some comments on other forums about the weight of the external TPMS sensor causing the valve stem to deflect when the tire is rotating at highway speeds, and in some cases even causing the valve stem to fail.  Anyone else observed this?  Has anyone ever experienced a rubber valve stem failure while using the external sensors? 

77DB269B-73B2-4501-8D5D-3CC60B422196.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1
  • Wow 1

22 minutes ago, topgun2 said:

One of the reasons I changed to metal stems.

Bill

Yeah, that’s the recommended solution posted on the other forums, or going with the internal sensors inside the tire.   Either way, a significant bit of cost and downtime to upgrade all 4 wheels.  Very mixed feelings at the moment about continuing to use the sensors with the rubber valve stems and risking catastrophic rapid leak(s) if one or more of the valve stems fail, or removing the sensors and going without the TPMS system for now and risking an unmonitored tire leak.   TireTraker manual does say metal stems are “recommended” but not required.  

77220471-82B0-434A-BD9F-3E905E43F12C.jpeg

• Like 3

I recently installed the TireMinder i10 TPMS system.  The instruction manual says the following of page 28:

Can Rubber Valve Stems Be Used with The TireMinder Transmitters?

Yes, TireMinder Transmitters may be used on high quality, high pressure rubber valve sterns. However, we highly recommend brass or stainless steel valve sterns. Due to the fact that rubber valve sterns deteriorate fairly quickly, e.g. they should be replaced when replacing your tires, an external TPMS sensor can exacerbate the deteriorating by adding weight to the valve stern. Additional rubber valve stems issues are based on age, length and physical location (i.e. exposure to road salt, high heat, sun, etc). If using rubber valve sterns, it is recommended that you check the condition of you rubber valve sterns on a regular basis. Failing to do so will result in a tire failure.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

spacer.pngNorth Texas | 2022 LEII, Hull #990, delivered 2/17/22 | 2014 BMW X5 35d

Going on six years, and no issues with my TireTraker sensors, they do hit the rims, just like that top picture, it never bothered me any.

I worry a whole lot more about busting off a steel TPMS stem on my Land Cruiser.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 2

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

29 minutes ago, John E Davies said:

Going on six years, and no issues with my TireTraker sensors, they do hit the rims, just like that top picture, it never bothered me any.

I worry a whole lot more about busting off a steel TPMS stem on my Land Cruiser.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Thanks John.  Good to know your long term experience with them has been trouble free.   

• Like 2

• Moderators
1 hour ago, FrankC said:

For anyone with another brand of TPMS other than TireTraker, do the operating instructions have the same “recommendation” for metal valve stems?

Tst recommended them when we bought ours, over a decade ago .

We installed metal stems. No issues.

If you continue with original rubber stems, just check regularly.  

I think it's a personal choice. Weigh the weighted sensors, vs stems, vs camping habitat and roads .

• Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

We've put metal stems on every trailer along with the TST sensors. As soon as we get Eggcelsior home, she's going to a tire shop for wheel balancing, metal stems, and chromed steel lug nuts. 

• Like 1

Stephanie and Dudley from CT.  2022 LE2, Hull #1150: Eggcelsior.

Tow vehicle: 2016 GMC Sierra 6.0 gas dually 4x4.

Our Oliver journey: Steph and Dud B's RV Screed

Where we've been RVing since 1999:

ALAZCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpg.b96241bad6752dec89d25af6ffbc8d99.jpg

6 hours ago, John E Davies said:

Going on six years, and no issues with my TireTraker sensors

I have only 5 years and 25,000 trailer miles with the same system.  No issues at all.  

• Like 3

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DYI’s:  BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DYI’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Timken Bearings, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all.

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

• Moderators

We went with metal stems when we got the TST system 5 years ago.  Local tire shop mounted the stems and balanced each wheel with the TST sensors mounted.  If I recall it took about 45 minutes and was not expensive.  No issues so far after around 60K miles with them mounted.  Mike

• Like 2

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS