Has anyone had experience with Cilajet aviation-grade paint sealant?

Spike

I have a friend who had Cilajet applied to his non-Oliver trailer and swears by it. He sent me a link to an impressive video featuring Redbull helicopter pilot, Chuck Aaron, who shows Cilajet applied to his helicopter. I did a search for the product on this forum with no results. I know there have been posts about ceramic coatings for Ollies, but I wonder about this product.

I filled out the inquiry form on Cilajet's website and received some useful information about locations of dealers, etc. I also called the company and received a friendly response to my questions.

I sure would appreciate a product that puts that like-new shine on my Ollie without so much frequent waxing and polishing work (or expense in having others do the work). I'd appreciate learning other's thoughts on this product. 

Here is Cilajet's website: https://www.cilajet.com

• Like 1

Onward through the Fog!

EarthPicks of Cochise County

AZCACOKSMONVNMORTNTXUTmed.jpg

Can this be applied by an owner? How much? I use Rejex, which was originally an aviation product, and am very happy with that, it requires proper prep and lasts a long time if the vehicle is stored indoors. A bottle is plenty for an Ollie or several cars and less than $20.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

The Cilajet page says it’s for painted and metal surfaces, but does mention boats.  The Ollie isn’t painted or metal.  Is there a different Cilajet product for fiberglass? Seems that folks have had the best success with products intended specifically for fiberglass/gel coat, like those used in the marine industry for fiberglass boats.  

892C4C37-98E2-43E4-A349-AA452DF962DE.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

I'm interested in where this conversation, research and actual results pan out with these different coatings.   We had our new Acura RDX sealed with a ceramic coating (guaranteed for 5 years)... and I've been pleased so far (9 months).   I see there are some different recommendations based on some experience with one company... while  others seem to like another company.   I have been wondering if the same "ceramic" coating that is used for aluminum... Is it just as good on gelcoat?  Waiting and watching to see and hopefully do the "touch and feel" at the rally.

I really like to keep my rolling stock looking really nice but the truck already feels like waxing the side of a house... so imagine the Oliver must feel like waxing a barn!

Another thing that I'd like to learn more about is the XPEL film.   It seems to me that it would be ideal to protect the most vulnerable areas on the Ollie. I've watched a few videos... and I think that it's something I could do myself.  Thinking about getting a small amount to try my hand at it on the truck.  First attempt would be down low... just in case it turns out I was overly optimistic.

I did follow the advice of many and get some mud flaps to reduce any potential damage.    I would probably cry like a baby if I got a serious ding on our new Ollie.

• Like 2

2022 Elite II, Hull #1097  Elli Rose 🌹 and she has the solar panels with the 390Ah lithium batteries.  Our tow vehicle is a 2019 Ford Lariat F-150 4wd, 3.5L Eco-boost, 3.55 rear end, with the Max tow package.  Elli Rose also has the street side awning and several walnut and cherry mods on the inside.

TravelMap.png.b89ef2d7bc27b1ea3b58f831ca5bd799.png

20 hours ago, FrankC said:

The Cilajet page says it’s for painted and metal surfaces, but does mention boats.  The Ollie isn’t painted or metal.  Is there a different Cilajet product for fiberglass?

Here is a follow-up on my investigation of Cilajet that may interest others.

Well, I called the Cilajet company and received an email after speaking to the representative. This was included in her reply: "As mentioned, you ask about fiber glass. Cilajet can be applied to Fiber Glass and will provide great shine with long-lasting protection! Below you will find a list of authorized dealerships near you!"

I was pleasantly surprised that one dealership listed was indeed near me, only twenty miles or so. (The next closest one was over 200 miles away.) So I called and spoke to the guy who does indeed apply a ceramic coating to fiber glass. He spent considerable time educating me on these types of products. 

First of all, he told me that he DOES NOT use Cilajet. He said it was "junk" and did not know why the company listed him as a dealer. He thought that Cilajet company was pushing an inferior product. He said that he uses a different product made in Japan. (I failed to take note of the name.)

The most interesting part of this conversation was that he spent many minutes basically talking me out of using his service. According to him, all "ceramic" coatings were based on silicone dioxide. He explained that, once a gelcoat had even once oxidized (which mine had in the past), it was compromised in a way that the ceramic coating could not properly protect it, and the oxidation would continue under the coating. He said that he only recommends applying his product to gelcoats that have not experienced any oxidation.

He said that the best I could do was to apply a synthetic polymer-type product, which will degrade rather quickly in the Arizona heat and that my Ollie will need frequent re-applications. I am unable to keep my Ollie in a temperature-controlled environment, so this is disappointing news, as I was hoping to find a product that would protect my trailer's gelcoat for longer than the products I have been using. (I hate doing this work myself, and I don't much like paying someone else to do it any better.) I was told that it is the heat, and not just the sun, that degrades the polymers, and that covering the unit would only partially protect the coating. I forgot the exact temperature he mentioned, but it was less than 100 degrees, I think, when the stuff "cooks," he said.

While what he told me wasn't a pleasant surprise, I WAS impressed that he spent so much time dissuading me from using his own service. One thing he DID suggest was that, if Cilajet guarantees their product for a significant amount of time, it might be worth the cost to go with their product and service.

So I just now called the company, located in California, and asked about a guarantee. This representative told me that she could not find any guarantee in her materials but would investigate and get back to me. We'll see. I would need to take my Ollie to the Phoenix area, a long and mostly unpleasant journey from my home in SE AZ to get the Cilajet coating. It DID seem a bit fishy that the rep could not immediately tell me if the product was guaranteed and for how long. I would think that a guarantee against oxidation for a number of years could be a great selling point; it might sell me.

I might go with Rejex, as John Davies recommends, which is a polymer product. On the other hand, I just watched a video comparing different products on cars, and 303 Graphene Nano Spray Coating came out on top. On Amazon, it is advertised as offering over a year of protection that somehow "reduces the surface temperature of your vehicle." It has good reviews on Amazon, although it leaves a "slightly grippy" feel due to the graphene:  

https://www.amazon.com/303-Graphene-Nano-Spray-Coating/dp/B08K3N5QP5/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

• Thanks 2
  • Like 2

Onward through the Fog!

EarthPicks of Cochise County

AZCACOKSMONVNMORTNTXUTmed.jpg