Problem with Suburban hot water heater 2015 unit # 83

If the propane burner is running, I'm guessing a lot of sediment on the bottom of the tank...? Pull the anode rod, flush the tank, replace with new anode rod as needed.

• Like 1

Stephanie and Dudley from CT.  2022 LE2, Hull #1150: Eggcelsior.

Tow vehicle: 2016 GMC Sierra 6.0 gas dually 4x4.

Our Oliver journey: Steph and Dud B's RV Screed

Where we've been RVing since 1999:

ALAZCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpg.b96241bad6752dec89d25af6ffbc8d99.jpg

• Moderator+

Have you ever flushed the water heater?

• Like 1

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Windwalker said:

Have not cleaned out the water heater this year so will do that now thanks to all I am traveling and not sure where I would find parts in the Sedona area.

Marc

A suburban anode is fairly common.  Any Camping World or most RV dealerships with repair/parts department.  I have an attachment that goes on the end of my hose that goes into the anode hole to help clean all the deposits out.  Mike

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

Are you sure the outside AC switch is positioned correctly? It is confusing because on mine it is upside down, it is marked properly but you move it down for ON. Also, has your circuit breaker inside the trailer tripped or did you leave it open? Both of these electrical components can fail, and they are cheap to replace.
https://olivertraveltrailers.com/forums/topic/3243-how-to-service-and-inspect-your-suburban-hot-water-heater-gas-system/

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 2

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators
48 minutes ago, Mike and Carol said:

I have an attachment that goes on the end of my hose that goes into the anode hole to help clean all the deposits out.  Mike

Probably the one Mike is referring to looks something like THIS ONE.  They are easy to use and do a much better job than a simple spray with the garden hose.

Bill

• Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

The water temp has improved but still not normal the hot water light did come on inside the trailer after flushing and have not seen this light since I have been having problems, I have the gas and the electric system on. Wondering if I should pull the thermostats out and look for build up there.

Marc

• Like 1

Thanks John yes the breaker and the switch is in the normal run position and at this time I think the propane system is the only thing that is heating and after flushing the water is hotter but not real hot I’m wondering if the thermostats may have build up on them since flushing seemed to help.

Marc

• Like 1

You can do a vinegar soak for a few hours, 50/50 with water. Followed by a flush. If it hasn’t been done in a couple of years, it is due.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

And double check that your outside hot water shower wand had the valves turned OFF.

Once I had winterized and forgot to turn those outside shower controls back to off.  With the wand head shut off, I was inadvertently cycling the hot and cold water through the system and it never got really hot.

So...just for grins make sure the outside shower controls are truly OFF.

CS

• Thanks 1
  • Like 4

2019 Elite II (Hull 505 - Galway Girl - August 7, 2019 Delivery) 
Tow Vehicle: 2021 F350 King Ranch, FX4, MaxTow Package, 10 Speed, 3.55 Rear Axle
Batteries Upgrade: Dual 315GTX Lithionics Lithiums - 630AH Total
Inverter/Charger: Xantrex 2000Pro 

Travel BLOG:  https://4-ever-hitched.com

IMG_5421.jpeg.c1f697a00240a9bd6729b0930bd3a4aa.jpeg

Galway girl you fixed the self induced problem I was fooling with the outside shower the other day and left the valves open and the wand handle valve closed thanks so much for your help on this make sure you post this where all can see

Marc

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

• Moderators

I am often in awe of this forum.  The collective knowledge base is just amazing.  And the kicker is that Galway Girl learned from their mistake and passed that knowledge on and solved another’s problem.  I think that is an excellent example of the importance of teamwork.

Thanks to all who contributed ideas to help solve this problem, especially Galway Girl!

Mossey

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

• Moderators
1 hour ago, mossemi said:

I am often in awe of this forum.  The collective knowledge base is just amazing.  And the kicker is that Galway Girl learned from their mistake and passed that knowledge on and solved another’s problem.  I think that is an excellent example of the importance of teamwork.

Me too.

Sometimes there are a number of possible causes to a problem.  If we all chime in with what we’ve experienced and the solution that worked for us then we’ve probably covered most all of the bases.  It looks like that’s what happened here and like Mike says, teamwork works!  Mike

• Like 4

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS