Door repair advice please

MarkV

• Moderators
1 hour ago, John E Davies said:

There are several Ace stores that I visit when the box stores don’t have something (which seems to be happening more and more often

I often go there first. Local. Helpful. I like to think my little purchases help keep them in business. 

Mine has an amazing (though limited quantity of each item)  selection of marine grade standards nuts, bolts braided wire, etc 

I love my local Ace. Never looked there for aluminum stock, though. They do stll rescreen windows.. 

My other fave Ace in east Asheville has just about every Stihl tool we've needed. Love those guys,,too.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

Google "Metal Supermarkets" for your area.  My local store has all kinds of cuts or short pieces left after someone else bought a portion of a larger piece available.  Or the will cut something for you.  They are worth a try if they are nearby. 

Mossey

818DD1A2-1A06-4672-BDF0-7FD66826AF9F.thumb.png.d9250cd545b8de67365681ade1f6e394.png

Edited by mossemi
Add photo
  • Like 4

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

2 hours ago, VBistro said:

McGukins rules!

I LOVE McGuckin Hardware.  They have saved my bacon many times with their broad inventory.  If they don't have 6061 Aluminum I bet they can point you to someone local who can help.  There are a ton of fabricators in Boulder and Denver.

Good luck

• Like 3

2021 Elite II, Hull# 898

2018 Toyota Tundra, 2003 Dodge Ram 3500 5.9l SRW

Once you get the metal, I have found that using a palm jitterbug sander works great for putting the same type finish they use at the factory.   I use 100 grit sand paper for wood. 

• Thanks 2

Early 1999 Ford F250 SD 7.3L Diesel 

2020 Elite II Twin -  Hull # 648

If you're still looking for a door repair, bring the ollie by this place in Denver:

https://calibremarine.com/

Calibre Marine Body Shop and Paint

5505 east 48th ave

Denver co 80216

303-404-7440

They do all sorts of fiberglass work, and were recommended by several places when we were looking for someone to buff out our Trillium 1300. I was amazed at how high the quality of workmanship was when we picked up the trailer. You could literally see yourself in the trailer it shined so nicely. When I asked how they pulled it off so nicely, Les the owner matter-of-factly said that he just has one of his guys hand wet-sand the whole thing, no power tools, because it makes for a better finished product. They also do fiberglass repair. If you go there tell him that the guy with the little green trillium sent you, he'd never worked on one before and it was less than a year ago, I expect he'll remember.

Trillium before.JPG

Trillium after.JPG

• Thanks 1
  • Like 5

spacer.png

Albert & Terri Sterns

Paonia, Colorado

Elite II Hull #1125 Standard Floorplan / 2017 Ford F250 gas

1 hour ago, albert said:

buff out our Trillium 1300

Wow! What a cool looking little trailer.

Kirk and Carrie Peterson

Twin Falls, Idaho

2018 Ram 3500, with overland conversion: Rooftop tent, water, stove, Battle Born batteries, lockers, onboard air, raised air intake, Warn winch. 

2023 Elite 2, twin beds, delivered December 5, 2022 Truma package, lithium platinum package.
Hull #1305

• Moderators

@albert, years ago, my parents' neighbors had a little green trillium just like yours (except not as shiny!) Your photos bring back great memories. Nice work, indeed.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Thanks! 

it seemed a bit pricey at the time ($1,400) but when I saw the finished product I was astonished...really makes it pop! it took 5 days to complete, I will bring any fiberglass work  to these guys from now on. I'm sure if Mark and Mary have the door worked on there they will be pleased with the outcome.

spacer.png

Albert & Terri Sterns

Paonia, Colorado

Elite II Hull #1125 Standard Floorplan / 2017 Ford F250 gas

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/24/2022 at 1:55 AM, 2008RN said:

Mark and Beth,

That has to be tough with a new Oliver. I like Johns idea with a larger thicker aluminum plate and backfilling.  

Were the winds in Boulder?  Now they get some really strong winds there.  I lived in Colorado most of my life.  Born in Longmont,  In Boy Scouts I ushered at Folsum Stadium, and worked at IBM on the Diagonal.   My son still lives and works in Boulder.  

Good luck on that repair. 

Bob and Dawn

We were in Southern Colorado (John Martin Reservoir)  when it happened, though we have been getting our fair share of ridiculous wind in Boulder this year, too. More than a dozen Red Flag days in April alone!

MaryBeth
Boulder, CO

2022 Elite II #953
TV: 2021 Ford Expedition Max Platinum, Max Tow Package

COKSMONESDTNUTWYmed.jpg

On 4/30/2022 at 5:01 AM, albert said:

If you're still looking for a door repair, bring the ollie by this place in Denver:

https://calibremarine.com/

Calibre Marine Body Shop and Paint

5505 east 48th ave

Denver co 80216

303-404-7440

Thanks for the recommendation!  I haven't had a moment to dig deeper on this to decide between repair/replacement/patch with a bigger piece of aluminum, but having this recommendation in pocket is great.  You never know....

MaryBeth
Boulder, CO

2022 Elite II #953

COKSMONESDTNUTWYmed.jpg

I like John's idea of fabricating a larger plate.  I would go much thicker than .032" (which is more like a foil than a plate).  A 1/8" (.125) plate would be more appropriate and although 6061 is an excellent alloy for the application, it is a bit overkill and difficult to obtain in small quantities.  Easily found 6063 or a variant is more common, less expensive and very much up to the task.  

1 hour ago, Jim and Chris Neuman said:

I like John's idea of fabricating a larger plate.  I would go much thicker than .032" (which is more like a foil than a plate).  A 1/8" (.125) plate would be more appropriate and although 6061 is an excellent alloy for the application, it is a bit overkill and difficult to obtain in small quantities.  Easily found 6063 or a variant is more common, less expensive and very much up to the task.  

All, I would like to hear how this goes. I still have to repair mine. 

Imelda

On 4/26/2022 at 6:13 PM, Landrover said:

You  may even try Oliver. I’ll bet they have a lot of short pieces laying around

Great idea! Thanks.

MaryBeth
Boulder, CO

2022 Elite II #953

COKSMONESDTNUTWYmed.jpg