Wonky interior touch lights

Hello

Was away from the trailer for a few weeks. Came back, turned on the batteries and no inverter. Popped the breakers under the street side bed a couple times, but still no inverter. I remembered from my problem last summer that plugging in to shore power can "jump start" the inverter. So, I plugged in to a 110v outlet and, voila, the inverter came on and is working fine whether plugged into shore power or not.

Now I have a new mystery. Three of the five touch lights are on with a very dim output. If I touch them they go to a slightly higher light output, but still dim. They do not turn off. The other two touch lights do not turn on. I took off the cover of one light that was on, and hit the coiled spring wire a few times but that didn't solve the problem. I took the cover off one of the touch lights that won't go on, but that didn't work either. The reading lights all go on and off, and all the other lights (interior and exterior) are fine. I pulled the 10a fuse in spot #13, and then replaced it, but no change. Whether I'm plugged into shore power or not doesn't make a difference. Turned the batteries off and on again, but that didn't make a difference.

Never had this happen before.  I'm going to pull the fuse again when I go to bed so the lights go off. Hopefully someone out there has a suggestion.Photos-001.zipPhotos-001.zipPhotos-001.zipPhotos-001.zip

PXL_20220423_041104641.jpg

PXL_20220423_041115036.jpg

2021 Elite II #841, 2020 GMC Sierra 1500 AT4, 3.0 diesel

• Moderators

I've heard of a couple of owner's that had issues with a light or two either not turning on or off and the fix for that was replacement of the offending unit.

But, I've not heard of this problem before which sounds more like an issue with a "central control box" versus individual lights.

I'd open a Service ticket.

Good luck!

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

What was the battery voltage reading before you hooked up shore power? I would suspect low battery voltage. The inverter will not turn on if the battery voltage is  below a set threshold. The interior lights run on 12v they do not need the inverter to function. Any 12v digital device can exhibit strange behavior with low voltage. Leave it plugged into shore power for a few hours. Then try the lights again. 

2021 Oliver Legacy Elite II Hull #845

The batteries were at about 87% when I turned them off a few weeks ago, and kept that same charge when I turned them back on. I've been connected to shore power overnight now and the situation is the same.

• Moderators

Your Ollie is 5 years younger than mine and I do not have the touch lights, so please excuse my questions if they are silly.  Where are the 5 touch lights located?  I assume they are not the ceiling lights because they are hard to reach for my wife and that would make the touch function a silly feature for short people.  So I guess that the problem lights are under the upper cabinets.  Is there a dimmer function on the lights that are malfunctioning or any of your other lights?  Do you have the ability and a multimeter to test voltages?  The lights in my Ollie are all 12 volts and I assume yours are the same.  So if the other 12V lights are working as usual, the problem is probably isolated to that circuit.  Are the problem lights on a 3 way circuit with 2 different light switches?  Or is there a light switch at all and every touch light is it’s own switch?

Mossey

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

You might try unplugging from shore power, turning off the batteries and resetting the inverter/charger as something may have went wonky in its little brain.  I had a similar issue once that involved 12 volt lights not acting correctly and that complete "reset" fix it.  Thinking similar to a "computer."

Charlie.  

• Like 2

ALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMA

Arizona | 2020 Oliver Elite II Twin bed Hull #617 | 2021 Ram 1500 e-Hemi 4x4

• Moderators
2 hours ago, CnC said:

You might try unplugging from shore power, turning off the batteries and resetting the inverter/charger as something may have went wonky in its little brain.  I had a similar issue once that involved 12 volt lights not acting correctly and that complete "reset" fix it.  Thinking similar to a "computer."

Charlie.  

I understand the stupid computer scenario, but how would that effect a single lighting circuit?  The OP indicated that the other light are working fine.  And of course I am assuming that the inverter/charger 12V output does not supply individual circuits.

Mossey

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

for purpose of any common denominator, SNYSDUP was spawned 8/2020 as OE II Twin Bed Hull # 665

We too have had occasional/random issues with our Puck/Touch Lights located over the "kitchen sink & stove".  As I remember it has happened under shore or battery power.

1.     Ours do not always turn on/off with a slight tap of the lens, sometimes requiring multiple taps to turn on/off.

2.     Or they would auto-magically turn on (very dim) or they would start to pulse/strobe in the middle of the night.  Whichever one of us was awaken by this annoyance would remove the plastic lens, issue resolved.  Sometimes we would just remove the lens before going to bed for the night, issue avoided.

I did mention it to Oliver last year when in for service (hooked to their shore).  They were unable to reproduce it, so it was not resolved.  I was told I may have a bad puck/touch light, I said it happens to more than just one.  The response was "Oh"!  So now I am thinking both may be bad, or the circuit has issues.  

I have removed the lens cover and tried to adjust the pigtail actuator spring, but that has not appeared to resolve the issue.  I have looked in from the cabinets above and did not see any wiring/connector issue, but I was limited in what I could see, so I will do that again soon.

As soon as we get SNYSDUP out of the heated Quonset (we are predicted 3' of heavy snow falling in today's storm blocking that entrance), and then on the driveway for our trip (as in Rally) prep, I will have another look and try to resolve the issue. 

In the meantime, I will follow (and re-read) this thread closely as others contribute their experiences & knowledge. 
I'll open a ticket so it is noted and if something is discovered, hopefully I will be notified.

B-Out

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

Maggie & Bryan | Arnegard, ND | 2020 LE II "Twins" Hull #665 | 2021 RAM 2500  6.4L HEMI Gasser  4dr  6.5' bed

ABBCMBNBNTNSONPEQCSKYTALARCTDEFLGAILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMONENHNJNYNCNDOHOKPARISCSDTNTXVTVAWVWIxlg.jpg.d41b39fcf844ad1935d35acdc8a6c203.jpg

• Moderators
22 minutes ago, SNY SD UP said:

As soon as we get SNYSDUP out of the heated Quonset (we are predicted 3' of heavy snow falling in today's storm blocking that entrance

I love the Dakotas, but it would seriously be nice if old man winter would yield to spring sometime soon. Actually,  three weeks ago...

Sorry for the thread drift. Good luck getting the trailer out, and back on the road.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

I didn't have my voltage meter with me, so unknown on that question. Removing the lens covers didn't seem to affect the problem. I suppose that the touch lights, or puck lights, could have suddenly gone bad, but seems unlikely. There's one light above the sink, one above the stove, one below the curbside bed cabinet, one below the streetside bed, and one above the dinette table. Whether I was connected or not to shore power didn't affect the problem. Because my first problem was an unresponsive inverter (had to "jump start" it by connecting to shore power) I suspect that may have something to do with it. I've opened a ticket and hopefully the folks in service will have some answers. Unfortunately I keep my trailer about three hours away and won't be back to it for another month, so any instructions they give will have to wait till then. I'll post updates when I have them.

• Like 1

I believe those touch light circuits are fed from the Master Light Switch on the panel by the entry door. Instead of having to pull the fuse, this switch can be used to turn the lights off. Flipping the switch off and on a few times might also lead you to the problem. Through the access plate in the overhead cabinet above the microwave, you can check the wiring for a loose connection and stress on the switch terminals.

• Like 3

Thank you all for these ideas and suggestions. My great frustration is that I keep my Ollie three hours away at a friend's property, so I can't just run outside and work on the problem. I have to wait until the next time I go up, maybe in three or four weeks. I opened a ticket about the puck/touch lights and Jason believes they simply went bad. He'll send out five new puck lights that I can install. Unfortunately they're from another manufacturer and it sounds like they won't be touch activated. Regarding the inverter, I sent screenshots of the settings from the app, and Jason confirmed the settings are correct. So, no real answer yet to that inverter problem.

FWIW I used to tap mine and sometimes they would work and sometimes they wouldn't.  My wife said, "don't tap, just touch the center".  Sometimes just putting my finger close to them will work.  It looks as though there is a sensor in the middle of the lens that senses touch.

John

• Like 2

Oliver II #996 "Bessie", 2019 Silverado LTZ 5.3, Veterans

https://wenandjohnsadventure.com/

• 1 month later...

Service sent me a rivet gun, rivets and five new puck lights. I've started with one so far, drilling out the rivets, pulling out the old light, replacing with a new puck light, and installing three rivets. Works just like new. I'll do the other four the same, but I'm hoping that this problem is solved. What caused it? That's still a mystery.

• Like 1

• Moderators
11 hours ago, Cameron said:

What caused it?

Sometimes these "touch lights" are a bit "touchy feely"😁.

Bill

Seriously, there have been a few cases where these lights have "issues" within the first year (or less) of operation.  A quick call or Service ticket will get it resolved for you.

• Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

On 4/23/2022 at 2:08 PM, mossemi said:

Your Ollie is 5 years younger than mine and I do not have the touch lights, so please excuse my questions if they are silly.  Where are the 5 touch lights located?  I assume they are not the ceiling lights because they are hard to reach for my wife and that would make the touch function a silly feature for short people.  So I guess that the problem lights are under the upper cabinets.  Is there a dimmer function on the lights that are malfunctioning or any of your other lights?  Do you have the ability and a multimeter to test voltages?  The lights in my Ollie are all 12 volts and I assume yours are the same.  So if the other 12V lights are working as usual, the problem is probably isolated to that circuit.  Are the problem lights on a 3 way circuit with 2 different light switches?  Or is there a light switch at all and every touch light is it’s own switch?

Mossey

Mossey,

To answer your questions, we have the touch lights in our Ollie. One is over the sink, another over LP burners, one above on the ceiling over each twin, and one over the dinette. There is no dimmer function. I had two touch lights that began to flicker and eventually go out. Both were in the galley sink and and LP burners. The replacement was not very difficult. To remove the light cover, drill out the tiny rivets, remove the light from the opening and cut the wire close to the old light fixture to leave plenty of wire to attach the new light to. I simply turned off the master switch to these lights, reattached and braided and taped the wires and used shrink tubing where the wires connected for the finish. I have not had any issues with these lights since this repair. Each touch light has its own touch switch in the dead center of the light cover. It’s simply a delicate pressure switch to turn them on. These touch lights or at least ours, only require a gentle touch and nothing more to turn them on and off. 

-Patriot 

• Like 3

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

On 4/24/2022 at 12:58 PM, bhncb said:

I believe those touch light circuits are fed from the Master Light Switch on the panel by the entry door. Instead of having to pull the fuse, this switch can be used to turn the lights off. Flipping the switch off and on a few times might also lead you to the problem. Through the access plate in the overhead cabinet above the microwave, you can check the wiring for a loose connection and stress on the switch terminals.

That is correct the when the master switch is off the touch lights do not operate. 👍🏻

• Like 1

IMG_2879.jpeg

2 hours ago, topgun2 said:

Seriously, there have been a few cases where these lights have "issues" within the first year (or less) of operation.  A quick call or Service ticket will get it resolved for you.

I’ve had only one light stop working in galley.   Could have been my fault as I was tapping them instead of touching them, my wife finally trained me.  A quick call  to Service had a new one sent immediately.  

• Like 3

“Ramble” - 2021 Legacy Elite II #797;  2020 Ford F-250

• Moderators

It's not just trailer touch lights. I have a touch led floor lamp in the living room that just decides to go on or off as it pleases. Maybe it's a gremlin. Since it's in the corner of the living room, mostly decorative,  I'm not bothered. 

Much more aggravating when it's a primary light source, for your trailer, for sure.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

3 hours ago, Mike D. said:

I’ve had only one light stop working in galley.   Could have been my fault as I was tapping them instead of touching them, my wife finally trained me.  A quick call  to Service had a new one sent immediately.  

At our last Oliver service visit I purchased (2) extra touch lights to keep as spares. I think they were like $3 or $4 ea. 

• Like 2

IMG_2879.jpeg