Remote power button not working for Xantrex 2000w inverter

I tried to search for this and couldn't find anything.  The power on/off button on the remote display panel for the 2000w Xantrex inverter in my LEII does not work.  Whether the main power button on the inverter unit under the bed is in the on or off postion, the remote power button does nothing.  Everything else is working as designed.  I called Xantrex tech support and was told that the remote power button should turn the unit on when the main unit button is "off".  He suggested a hard reset by disconnecting the batteries and then firmware updates.  

I thought I would ask this group of experts if there is something simple I am missing before I start monkeying around with it...?  Anybody had the same issue?  Suggestion?

Thanks!

2020 Elite II #627, 2021 Silverado 1500 3.0L Duramax, Colorado

• Moderators

1 - take the four screws that hold the remote panel off and gently remove the panel.  There should be a phone style connector in that back of that panel - unplug it and re-plug it in three of four times  - and - do the same thing where the other end of the wire goes into the inverter.

2 - Check to make sure that the wires (both ground and positive) going into the inverter are tight.

3 - now re-try the remote switch.

If it works you are done.  If it doesn't work - do what they said.

New remote panels are not all that expensive on Amazon but, hopefully, you don't have to go that route.

Bill

• Thanks 2
  • Like 3

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators

If your Xantrex remote switch is located to the right of the pantry, and above the forward facing dinette seat, you can access the back of the remote through the access port inside the pantry.  And scraping the contacts by inserting and removing the connector as topgun2 recommended is an old telephone repairman’s trick.  If that doesn’t work you can test for continuity through each contact with a multimeter if you can access both ends.  That cable is about 25’ long.

Mossey

• Like 1

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

On 4/28/2022 at 2:03 PM, topgun2 said:

1 - take the four screws that hold the remote panel off and gently remove the panel.  There should be a phone style connector in that back of that panel - unplug it and re-plug it in three of four times  - and - do the same thing where the other end of the wire goes into the inverter.

2 - Check to make sure that the wires (both ground and positive) going into the inverter are tight.

3 - now re-try the remote switch.

If it works you are done.  If it doesn't work - do what they said.

New remote panels are not all that expensive on Amazon but, hopefully, you don't have to go that route.

Bill

I did what Bill suggested and ended up needing a replacement. Got it from Amazon.

• Like 1

On 5/1/2022 at 5:08 PM, geO said:

I did what Bill suggested and ended up needing a replacement. Got it from Amazon.

@geO    I have also tried everything Bill suggested in addition to a hard-reset by disconnecting the battery power for 30 minutes - and still no luck.  So did you have the exact same problem (remote working as designed except for non-functioning power button) ?  Thanks

On 4/28/2022 at 7:05 AM, tallmandan said:

Anybody had the same issue? 

Glad you posted.  Mine will shut the inverter OFF, but I have to get under the bed to turn it on!  Appreciate that there are good suggestions here and that it's not necessarily something I'm doing wrong. 😄

• Like 2

2018 LE2 #333  "the Otter"

2015 Silverado 2500HD

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

After a year of sitting, my Xantrex ProWatt SW Remote also died.  I did just try suggestions above, but looking at the date on the side of the remote (2018), it appears it was already replaced by previous owner.  I have Hull #110 (2016).  Ordering from Amazon now, $25.00.  I'll try to report back on this thread.  

Amazon Search: "Xantrex 808-9001 PROwatt SW Remote Switch"

It's been a long year of personal challenges, time to take the Ollie out for a short trip.  I was in it nearly everyday checking battery/solar statuses. 

Chris
2016 Legacy Elite II  o--o  Hull #110 o--o  Wayfinder  o--o  Twin Bed  o--o  2020 RAM 1500 Limited 5.7L 
Augusta, Georgia

• Moderators

Back in the Spring of this year I seemed to be having these same "remote" symptoms again.  I don't remember exactly why but while poking around (be careful with poking around given the voltage that is in this area) I found that the negative side cables were loose on the inverter.  I simply tightened those up and all returned to "normal".

Good luck in finding the real issue.

Bill

• Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

On 10/23/2022 at 5:10 AM, topgun2 said:

Back in the Spring of this year I seemed to be having these same "remote" symptoms again.  I don't remember exactly why but while poking around (be careful with poking around given the voltage that is in this area) I found that the negative side cables were loose on the inverter.  I simply tightened those up and all returned to "normal".

Good luck in finding the real issue.

Bill

Bill, thanks for sharing this.  I made the original post and never followed up here.  I purchased a new remote panel from Amazon and installed.  It did not fix the problem.  Like the original panel, it displayed correctly but the power button was inoperative. I also tried using the new cable (like a phone/cat5 connector) and that didn't change anything either.  I called xantrex and they had me do another reset by removing battery power for a few hours and still nothing.  Finally they want me to pull out the inverter and send it to them.  Im second owner and it's over 2 yrs old so I don't think I have any warranty.  I have been just getting on my knees and turning the inverter on/off at the main unit through the portal.  Reading your post, I'm going to, yet again, poke around with the cables and see if I can get anything to happen - so thanks.

I basically went through the same routine. The new remote can only  shut off the inverter, not on, but ONLY with the new cable provided with the new remote. So I assume it's now a firmware issue. Old inverter versus a 2022 remote - dated on the side of the remote.  I sent a support ticket to Xantrex, but have heard nothing. They may be laughing, due to age of inverter. I may buy a new one, they appear to be the same exact form factor, but first will see if I even use it enough to warrant a new inverter. Wait until it too dies. 

Chris
2016 Legacy Elite II  o--o  Hull #110 o--o  Wayfinder  o--o  Twin Bed  o--o  2020 RAM 1500 Limited 5.7L 
Augusta, Georgia

• Moderators

Don't give up on Xantrex.  They are normally better with customer service.

I'd send them another request or call them.

Bill

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I have the 3000w inverter but also have the same problem. The on/off switches on both the remote and the inverter don't seem to do anything. The only way I've turned off the inverter is by tripping the breakers, or turning off/on the Lithiums. It's been like that since I got the trailer. It's not really a problem though, so far. 

Where I store my trailer, the only shore power is from a 120v outlet, and the trailer doesn't seem to want to run off that. The lights flicker. So I turn on the batteries and all is good with both shore power and batteries on. 

• Like 1

2021 Elite II #841, 2020 GMC Sierra 1500 AT4, 3.0 diesel

On 1/21/2023 at 2:07 PM, thompsonkd said:

On this thread, people are referring to turning on/off the inverter on the actual inverter instead of using the remote.  Where exactly on the inverter is the on/off switch?

David

It's very difficult to see on my. You'll need a flash light, but it's on the front. You might see the button if the user manual shows it or look that model up online. 

Chris
Augusta, Georgia