Where do you put your tote waste tank?

June_Liu

I have a 25 Gallon tote waste tank, and that thing is huge, Barker 4-Wheeler Tote Tank - 25 Gallon Capacity (25895) , Blue https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002F66RE/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_25S5ZYXJEYJ82KD5Q51E?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Apparently it won't fit in the front basket. I tow with an SUV so I don't want to put the waste tank in the trunk, and I don't want it to go into Olie either 😞 Where do you put the portable waste tank when traveling? Thanks 🙂

We're going to put our 21 gal "Turd Taxi" in a cargo carrier in the rear hitch of the Ollie: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004QEKGA0/?coliid=IYU4N4K30PK4C&colid=3HP9GD89VQ4XP&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it  There's room for our tank and a few other things.

• Like 1

Stephanie and Dudley from CT.  2022 LE2, Hull #1150: Eggcelsior.

Tow vehicle: 2016 GMC Sierra 6.0 gas dually 4x4.

Our Oliver journey: Steph and Dud B's RV Screed

Where we've been RVing since 1999:

ALAZCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpg.b96241bad6752dec89d25af6ffbc8d99.jpg

Put it in the cab of your vehicle, may get a good whiff of it every once in a wile, but just roll down the windows and all should be all right.  We carry ours in the pickup bed on the truck, but a rear carrier on the trailer would also be a good place to carry it. It's one of those things that we take sometimes and sometimes we don't, it just depends where we are camping and what facilities they offer.

trainman

• Haha 3
  • Wow 1

2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.

Our favorite summer campground has a dump station that that has a steep grade in both directions away from the dump making it difficult to drain Ollie's tanks completely. We use a 15 gallon Camco tote to dump grey water daily. It has a trailer hitch connector allowing it to be towed to the dump station. Transport in the bed of the TV when empty.

https://www.camco.net/rhino-portable-holding-tank-15-gallon-39000

Our previous TV with Diamonback cover:

IMG_6403-L.jpg

Bill #75 LE2

• Moderators
13 minutes ago, rideandfly said:

We use a 15 gallon Camco tote to dump grey water daily.

I'm a BIG fan of this size tank.  When there isn't a dump station I can get it to a toilet and given its size I'm able to lift it to dump the contents into the toilet.

Of course one can do the same thing with a larger tote if they are careful about how much "stuff" they put in there.

Bill

• Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators
28 minutes ago, topgun2 said:

I'm a BIG fan of this size tank.  When there isn't a dump station I can get it to a toilet and given its size I'm able to lift it to dump the contents into the toilet.

We don’t have one but I’ve thought about it since we more often than not do not have full hook ups.  Since the black tank is 18 gallons it seems that this size would be just right to empty into when the level gets to around 70 or 80 percent, and at 15 gallons should not be too difficult to handle.  Mike

• Like 4

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

We traveled last summer and stayed at 22 Campgrounds through 16 states and never carried or even missed having a tote tank.
Honestly never really needed it. I guess we are spoiled by full hook ups and CG with dump stations.

• Like 2

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

1 hour ago, rideandfly said:

Hope I can find the same size replacement pneumatic wheels/tires with bearings to replace the original hard plastic wheels for the 15 gallon tote, will see! 🙂

Bill,

Northern tool might have what you are looking for. 

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/category_tires-wheels+hand-truck-utility-wheels

• Like 1

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

• Moderators
4 hours ago, Patriot said:

We traveled last summer and stayed at 22 Campgrounds through 16 states and never carried or even missed having a tote tank.
Honestly never really needed it. I guess we are spoiled by full hook ups and CG with dump stations.

We’ve been hauling our Oliver around now for 6 years without one and have done fine.  Since we like many of the public campgrounds (National and State Parks, COE, BLM, FS, etc) we often have to manage our black tank use.  We’ve had to unhook and go dump and then return a number of times.  Seems like a tote would be handier in those cases.  They do take up space.  Just something I’m considering.  Mike 

• Like 2

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• Moderators
1 minute ago, skalywag said:

Would hauling it on the back bumper reduce tailgating?

🤣🤣🤣

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• 2 weeks later...

Since we have the bicycle rack bumper from Oliver and it's not being used at this time, I have considered getting a rear cargo carrier and carry our 21 gal. honey wagon back there, but for now it just goes in the pickup bed with no problem. 

trainman

• Like 1

2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.

On 5/10/2022 at 4:15 AM, Trainman said:

it just goes in the pickup bed with no problem.

For those who do have one of these, I've always wondered how the heck do you lift it to take it to empty it somewhere?  Even a smaller one (15 gal) will weigh 120 pounds when full!

We would never use one on the road, but I'm seriously considering having one when we are dry camping on our vacant land so we don't have to move the trailer to dump the black tank.

2018 LE2 #333  "the Otter"

2015 Silverado 2500HD

• Moderators

Liana, the portable tanks are mainly used to slowly transport contents from your trailer to a campground dumpstation. Some people just roll them along, pulling behind them as they walk, some tanks are made to attach to the ball of the truck and be slowly towed.

If you don't have a septic system at your camping property,  you probably want to look at some alternative methods for handling waste, like a composting toilet, luggable loo, wag bags,  etc. for long term camping without moving the trailer. 

Or, perhaps that rv park you mentioned before as being nearby has a honey wagon service that would come by your spot and pump out your black tank, for a fee? 

• Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

I don’t have one, but have considered purchasing a small to medium size to use while camper is in our driveway. Too far from the exterior clean out to use directly but dumping especially gray water and rolling it over to our house sewage clean out would be a benefit. This way you can do a very thorough clean with out feeling pressured with a line of other campers behind you. Something to consider.

However I don’t feel the need to carry one along on a trip. 

• Like 1

Legacy Elite II #70

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Liana said:

Even a smaller one (15 gal) will weigh 120 pounds when full!

Certainly it would mean more trips, but, who says that you have to fill even the smaller one all the way to the brim?

Bill

• Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators

Or, if codes allow, you could dig a pit, and build one of these:

https://homestead-and-survival.com/18-outhouse-plans-and-ideas-for-the-homestead/

My cousin in Alaska has three cabins, and three outhouses, on her property. We helped her set up and build an outdoor shower room on the back side of one of them. The eccotemp portable propane units are awesome.  We've used one for 14 years, on our camping property.  (We have a spring collection system for washing water.)

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

1 hour ago, topgun2 said:

Certainly it would mean more trips, but, who says that you have to fill even the smaller one all the way to the brim?

The trick is to be sure NOT to fill them to the brim, especially if you're draining the black tank. If you fill the tote to the top you still have a hose full of black water that has to go somewhere when you disconnect it. 🫢 That's why I went with 21 gallons. No way even a full black tank will overfill the tote.

Our tote has the hitch hook to tow behind our truck. When I first got it, I filled it to capacity to check for leaks. That sucker was heavy - over 160 pounds - and lifting up one end to drain it wasn't easy. Fortunately, it'll only have about 15-16 gallons in it during actual use.

• Like 3

Stephanie and Dudley from CT.  2022 LE2, Hull #1150: Eggcelsior.

Tow vehicle: 2016 GMC Sierra 6.0 gas dually 4x4.

Our Oliver journey: Steph and Dud B's RV Screed

Where we've been RVing since 1999:

ALAZCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpg.b96241bad6752dec89d25af6ffbc8d99.jpg

3 hours ago, Liana said:

For those who do have one of these, I've always wondered how the heck do you lift it to take it to empty it somewhere?  Even a smaller one (15 gal) will weigh 120 pounds when full.

No need to lift or carry a full tote tank to empty it.  We have the Camco 15 gallon tote and it’s worked well on the few times we’ve needed it at campgrounds that weren’t full hookup sites.  The tank comes with a hitch attachment to hook to the ball on the tow vehicle to drive it (slowly) to the campground dump station.   Sewer hose, connectors and rinse hose also included as well.   

7D077DE3-9E36-4DCF-BEC8-49F5314759E2.jpeg

• Like 4

3 hours ago, SeaDawg said:

you probably want to look at some alternative methods

We have a Camp toilet with those nasty bags in a shower tent. Didn't want to use it at all When we had a mountain lion In the neighborhood,  especially not at night !  😂

I've mostly come to the Conclusion that a composting toilet won't Work in our setting And we're moving forward As quickly as feasible to Get our septic system In, but we're dancing with the County step by step...

1 hour ago, FrankC said:

drive it (slowly) to the campground dump station.  

The nearest dump station to us is 4 miles away on a 50mph highway. 

🙂

3 hours ago, SeaDawg said:

Or, if codes allow

If only...see above mention of county

🙂

2018 LE2 #333  "the Otter"

2015 Silverado 2500HD

I have a 21 gallon Camco Rhino tank, looks just like Frank C’s, but a little taller.   I carry it upright in the front basket on the optional Camco carry bracket when traveling.   When empty, it’s light, easy to lift in and secure.   There is only enough room left for the chocks and Beech Lane levelers, but that’s ok, I want to keep my tongue weight low.    When camping, the tote tucks out of the way under the rear bumper horizontally.  We then use the front basket for coolers, etc.   I  fill up the tote with gray water every other day when camping, and tow it to the dump station, very slowly as Frank C mentioned.    On the way back, I usually put it in the truck bed to save wear and tear on the tote wheels.   It’s not gross as it is only used for gray water.  We have the Natures Head toilet, so the black tank has never been used.   For those that are considering getting a tote (or have one but don’t use it), allow me explain how we use it, you may get some ideas.   If you are staying in a conventional campground, and it’s popular, as most are these days, then you know there might be a traffic jam at the dump station before check-out time.   I don’t know about you, but this is my least favorite camping time.   If you have a tote, you can hook it up and head to the dump station in the afternoon, and have that pleasant experience all to yourself, take your time, and not get anything on you.   The head back to camp to wash up and start on happy hour and dinner.  

16ECC80A-E3CB-4934-8BE0-9978CE345FC2.jpeg

• Like 4

“Ramble” - 2021 Legacy Elite II #797;  2020 Ford F-250

2 hours ago, Steph and Dud B said:

How is the carry bracket attached to the basket? 

Four 1/4” SS bolts through 4  holes drilled in the bottom of the basket.  

• Thanks 2
  • Like 1

“Ramble” - 2021 Legacy Elite II #797;  2020 Ford F-250