Where do you put your tote waste tank?

June_Liu

On 5/15/2022 at 1:27 PM, Mike D. said:

Four 1/4” SS bolts through 4  holes drilled in the bottom of the basket.  

To be more specific, there are 4 bolts per upright support, a total of 8.   The 1” square tube upright supports come with two 1/4” steel backing plates, with 4 holes in each.  I insulated the painted steel uprights from the aluminum storage tray with rubber strips.  I do not have a pic that shows the attachment details, will get some when I can if anyone is interested.   There is enough room left in the tray to carry the chocks & levelers,  which is just about all the weight I want to carry.  We carry the gray water tote nearly empty.  I squeeze some Calgon in there with a bit of water to slosh around while towing, so the tote stays relatively fresh smelling.

• Like 4

“Ramble” - 2021 Legacy Elite II #797;  2020 Ford F-250

3 hours ago, Mike D. said:

To be more specific, there are 4 bolts per upright support, a total of 8.   The 1” square tube upright supports come with two 1/4” steel backing plates, with 4 holes in each.  I insulated the painted steel uprights from the aluminum storage tray with rubber strips.  I do not have a pic that shows the attachment details, will get some when I can if anyone is interested.   There is enough room left in the tray to carry the chocks & levelers,  which is just about all the weight I want to carry.  We carry the gray water tote nearly empty.  I squeeze some Calgon in there with a bit of water to slosh around while towing, so the tote stays relatively fresh smelling.

Mike,

I’d be interested in more detail if you have time.  Thanks.

3 hours ago, PapaBiker said:

I’d be interested in more detail if you have time.  Thanks.

My trailer is in storage about 500 miles from home, so I can’t provide any detail pics until I get back to it in a few months.   I did find a few pics that might help.  I installed this while enroute on a camping trip, it was easy.   Initially I got common plated steel bolts at the nearest Home Depot, they didn’t have them in s/s in the correct lengths.  I ordered the s/s locknuts, bolts and washers and replaced later. 

53AFCA2C-13E1-428F-A5B6-5900C175F8B2.jpeg

5D72AE50-0893-43B6-A635-06082D211E0C.jpeg

• Like 5

• Moderators
On 5/14/2022 at 6:40 PM, Liana said:

We have a Camp toilet with those nasty bags in a shower tent. Didn't want to use it at all When we had a mountain lion In the neighborhood,  especially not at night !  😂

Liana, til you get it all sorted out, and your trailer tanks are approaching full, you could line the Ollie toilet with a wag bag, and use the camper toilet like you do the one outside. Certainly safer if there's a mountain lion prowling your property. 

• Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• 5 months later...
On 5/1/2022 at 2:14 PM, skalywag said:

Would hauling it on the back bumper reduce tailgating?

😂 But seriously, will this Camco Rhino bumber mount work to transport an empty tote?

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Powder-Coated-Construction-Heavy-Duty-39010/dp/B07P8B9WHD?th=1

2023 Elite II, Hull# 1386, Lithium Platinum Package (640AH, 400W Solar, 3000W Xantrex Inverter)
Truma water heater & AC

TV: 2024 Silverado 2500HD 6.6L 10-Speed Allison

5 hours ago, Rich.Dev said:

😂 But seriously, will this Camco Rhino bumber mount work to transport an empty tote?

If you look back a few posts for my July 16 comments, you will see pics of how a I use that same Camco Rhino tote rack to carry my 21 gallon Rhino tote.   I assume your comment refers to rear bumper mounting.  You can look up the mounting instructions online,  It’s  designed to be mounted with long U-bolts on a standard SOB steel bumpers.  That mounting system won’t work with our trailers.   You’d have to make some significant modifications to get it to work.   Might as well start from scratch and make a custom rack back there.  Which is why I did it the easy way and mounted it in the basket.   No, it’s not elegant, but it’s functional, which is more my camping style. 

• Like 1

• Moderator+

Let’s see, 20 gallons of fresh shite at about 10 pounds each. That tote could easily weigh in at 200 pounds or so. Don’t drop it on your foot or you will be loudly proclaiming to everyone within earshot what the contents are.

🤬😵💫

• Haha 2

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

20 minutes ago, ScubaRx said:

Let’s see, 20 gallons of fresh shite at about 10 pounds each. That tote could easily weigh in at 200 pounds or so.

It’s always  empty when it’s in the basket..  And it’s only used for gray water, I have a Natures Head toilet   It’s not difficult at all for me to fill it up from rear of trailer, and roll it over and hook it to my bumper hitch.  I don’t usually wait until it’s full.    Its much easier than taking my trailer to the dump station every several days.   We are currently on Day 6 dry camping, no hookups,  showers for both of us every night.   I’ve had to take the tote  it to dump station once, probably go again tomorrow, trailer stays parked.  See my post in this thread from May 14 if you are interested in why and how I use it.  

• Thanks 2
  • Like 1

• Moderator+
10 minutes ago, Hokieman said:

It’s always  empty when it’s in the basket..  And it’s only used for gray water, I have a Natures Head toilet   It’s not difficult at all for me to fill it up from rear of trailer, and roll it over and hook it to my bumper hitch.  I don’t usually wait until it’s full.    Its much easier than taking my trailer to the dump station every several days.   We are currently on Day 6 dry camping, no hookups,  showers for both of us every night.   I’ve had to take the tote  it to dump station once, probably go again tomorrow, trailer stays parked.  See my post in this thread from May 14 if you are interested in why and how I use it.  

I was just messing with you. Although we don't own one, I've watched others use them and I agree it is much easier to use than moving the trailer. I saw a lady trying to drag a full one out of the back of her truck and it hit the ground and split open. This was out from Quartzsite and not on a slab of concrete. It made quite a mess that couldn't be cleaned up with a hose.

• Wow 1
  • Sad 1

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

10 minutes ago, ScubaRx said:

I was just messing with you. Although we don't own one, I've watched others use them and I agree it is much easier to use than moving the trailer

I’ve studied how others have done it, and through trial and error, we all come up with what works best for us.   We dry camp most of the time.  The only time a I use a campground  restroom is to dump my Natures Head pee bottle. The way we do it is not everyone’s cup of tea.   No wrong answers, except maybe putting a full tote of waste in the back of your truck.  

• Like 5

53 minutes ago, Hokieman said:

I assume your comment refers to rear bumper mounting.

Yes rear bumper mounting. Thanks

2023 Elite II, Hull# 1386, Lithium Platinum Package (640AH, 400W Solar, 3000W Xantrex Inverter)
Truma water heater & AC

1 hour ago, Rich.Dev said:

Yes rear bumper mounting

Steph and Dud B mentioned earlier in this post they were going to try using a rear rack on the Ollie bumper hitch.  I assume that would work well, the empty tote is relatively lightweight. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Hokieman said:

Steph and Dud B mentioned earlier in this post they were going to try using a rear rack on the Ollie bumper hitch.  I assume that would work well, the empty tote is relatively lightweight. 

Yah they have the rear hitch, I did not get it. I looked at the camco rear bumper mount, looks like the only parts I have to change are the u-bolts (too short for the taller/higher Oliver bumper) and maybe the bottom brackets, the brackets depth are max 4.5”, not sure how deep/wide the Oliver bumper is, and if there is clearance behind the Oliver bumper for the u-bolts to clamp around…. I don’t have my Oliver yet, pick up is early May! 

• Like 1

Truma water heater & AC

• Moderators

I now carry a small waste tote (empty) in the bed of my truck.  But, with an RV I owned prior to seeing the light and getting my Ollie I constructed a storage rack for this tote which I attached to the rear bumper via two slightly larger square steel tubes such that the rack could be inserted into those two tubes and secured with four pins.  I think that a similar system could be used with the Oliver but I've never had enough interest to work on it.

P1000346.JPG

P1000345.JPG

P1000344.JPG

• Thanks 1
  • Like 8

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

18 hours ago, Hokieman said:

Steph and Dud B mentioned earlier in this post they were going to try using a rear rack on the Ollie bumper hitch.  

We did do that, but later in the season we put the tote on top of our Diamondback tonneau cover and used the space in the rear cargo carrier for a ground bike rack (for parking bikes at the campsite). 

• Like 4

Stephanie and Dudley from CT.  2022 LE2, Hull #1150: Eggcelsior.

Tow vehicle: 2016 GMC Sierra 6.0 gas dually 4x4.

Our Oliver journey: Steph and Dud B's RV Screed

Where we've been RVing since 1999:

ALAZCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpg.b96241bad6752dec89d25af6ffbc8d99.jpg

Since we have a Nature Head compost toilet we only dump grey, we have a 28 (which is way too big) and a 15 gallon tote which we love. We haven’t found a good place to put it so it just goes in the back bed of the truck. There are some great suggestions in this feed, thanks for sharing them. 

• Like 4

2021 Dodge Ram 1500 

2021 Oliver Elite ll 

Hull #732 

Michigan 

• 6 months later...

Here’s a genius way to store your tote, don’t think we have the clearance though!

• Haha 2

Truma water heater & AC

• Moderators

Ya got the clearance for the tote but then you would not have clearance for virtually anything else - like the road.😁

Seriously - we have better clearance as compared to most RV's but it really wouldn't be pretty if you had a partially filled tote and hit something while going down the road.  I'm guessing that the guy behind you would not be too happy either.

Bill

• Haha 1
  • Wow 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

2 hours ago, topgun2 said:

if you had a partially filled tote and hit something while going down the road

Lol yup would be very uncourteous to the guy behind you! The guy in the video says he always stores it there empty.

Truma water heater & AC

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, Wandering Sagebrush said:

on the top of our storage box

THAT'S one heck of a storage box!

Did I miss you telling us about it here on the Forum?

Bill

Bill, I’m pretty sure you did miss it.  The previous owner bought it from Highway Products in White City, Oregon.  They make quality, but not inexpensive, aluminum  gear.  I’ve seen their flatbeds with boxes, and they’re impressive.

I haven’t pulled it off yet, but my guess is it’s in the 40-50 pound range.  If I have a flat, it does need to be pulled back a few inches to remove the spare tire cover.

• Wow 2

Hull #364 - The Roadrunner 

2023 F350 CCLB SRW 6.7L

ALAKAZARCACOFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMSMO

1 hour ago, topgun2 said:

THAT'S one heck of a storage box!

@topgun2:  It sure is, Bill!  

@Wandering Sagebrush:  Are your white back-up lights visible from under the box?  It's hard to see from that angle...  Can you carry bikes up top?  Pretty cool set-up.

spacer.png

Art, Diane, Oscar & Magnus (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA w/Airlift Load Lifter 5000 kit/2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", 12VDC Starlink kit, 3x Battle Borns; Victron Cerbo GX, SmartShunt, MPPT Solar Controller, & DC-DC Charger; HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

@topgun2, I think I lied.  The photo of the box was on wanderthewest.com, not here.  BTW, WTW is another great family friendly place to hang out on the web.  It’s focused mostly around popup campers, but includes most types of small RVs and trailers.  

@MAX Burner The rear trailer lights are visible, but 50% blocked by the box, hence the lights on top.  The previous owner had two trays for mtn bikes that he retained, but I believe my round bar style Yakima trays will work well.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

Hull #364 - The Roadrunner 

2023 F350 CCLB SRW 6.7L

ALAKAZARCACOFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMSMO