Generator Engine Piston Was Seized Up - Now trying to find new Carb

I have a follow up to my Bonding Plug post question.

I need to fix the generator which is a Powermate 2000 (about 7 years old). I bought it for $20. The guy tried to start it 3 years ago and could not get it started. He set it aside for the last 3 years and the engine is now seized up and all the gas in the tank evaporated. I am guessing the carb may also be gummed up.

I took out the spark plug and poured in some Marvel Mystery Oil into the cylinder, after Googling how to fix a seized engine cylinder and talking to another Mainer that has run into this situation in the past. Hopefull after 2 or 3 days or 4 or 5 days it will loosen up the piston. I really do not want to take off the cylinder head if the Mystery Oil  does not work.

If I can not free up the cylinder, I may just take the generator to the metal recycle dump.

If anyone has any ideas on freeing up the cylinder or clearing the carb (short of taking the carb apart), please let me know.

Thanks

2018 Oliver Elite II, Twin Bed, Hull #354 

2024 RAM 1500, 4 x 4; Gas. 5.7L V8 Hemi MDS VVT Torque; 3.21 rear axle ratio

Maine 

• The title was changed to Generator Engine Piston Seized Up - Trying to Repair
  • Moderators

Good luck!

The diaphragms on those carbs are generally fragile and since most people use regular ethanol gas it just destroys them.  You can always try regular carb cleaner but letting that stuff sit long enough to do its job is probably long enough to destroy what's left inside (if anything).

Bill

• Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Update:

Now after 6 days of soaking with the Marvel Mystery Oil in the cylinder, I was able to free up the cylinder. Did not use the pull cord, as I was concerned that the cord would break. I used a socket set on the nut on the flywheel. A little forward and reverse and the cylkinder now moves freely even with the pull cord.

Next task is to suck out the remaining Marvel Mystery oil on top of the cylinder, change the crank case engine oil and check out the spark plug, regap it and see if if it is getting a spark. 

Hopefully with fresh gas, I can get it to started and not have to play around getting access to the carberator, which will be a mystery to this non-mechanic.  

Maine 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, dewdev said:

which will be a mystery to this non-mechanic

Sounds to me like you are doing pretty good so far.

Any idea, yet, of why it seized in the first place?  Certainly you don't want to get in a position of where you throw the piston through the side of the engine 😵

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

topgun2:

The previous owner could not get it started 3 years ago and left the unit outside (in Maine although he did cover it).  I think because of the mositure in the summer and not moving the piston for 3 years it seized up. He should have taken the spark plug out and put a little oil in the cylinder which is recommended when you do not use a motor for a long time,  

Maine 

4 hours ago, dewdev said:

Hopefully with fresh gas, I can get it to started and not have to play around getting access to the carberator, which will be a mystery to this non-mechanic.  

I work on a lot of small engines and motorcycles professionally and as a hobby.  Here in Minnesota they get stored for an extended period annually.  The number #1 reason they won’t run in the spring is a gummed up carburetor due to evaporated gasoline, especially ethanol.    If you’re a non mechanic, consider sinking $20-$30 on a brand new carburetor.  They’re cheap on Amazon, eBay, and small engine sites.  You’ll spend hours unsuccessful attempting to clean/test/clean/test your old carb and you’ll still end up buying a new one.  I have an ultrasonic cleaning bath, chemicals, tools, and experience and I spend very little time cleaning carbs anymore because the new ones just bolt right on and off the engine fires.   Take lots of pictures of the linkage routing.   Unbolt the old carb, bolt on the new one.   It’s going to take longer to find which one to order than actually replace it.  HTH.  Ken

• Like 2

2013 Toyota Land Cruiser 200

2018 Twin Bed Elite II #351

KenB:

Thanks for the suggestion; I will. They do sell most parts as I did contact the company and  asked.  I wish I could (Identify) and see the carburetor. I tired looking for it with the side panel removed and followed the gas line from the tank, but could not see it. I guess I will have to take off the entire outside plastic casing to get a better look. 

• Like 1

Maine 

• Moderators

@dewdev, do you have the manual for the generator? If you don't,  I can send you a pdf, or you can Google it.  It has good illustrations and instructions of maintenance, specs for proper spark plug gap, valve  clearances, etc.  Your unit has a low oil shutoff, like our westinghouse.  (Another reason the previous owner possibly couldn't get it started.)

Before I tried to fire yours up, I'd do all the annual maintenance,  especially the fuel filter and oil change. We've seen those foam fuel filters pretty much disintegrate, with lack of use. Looks like two screws to remove it for inspection, wash it  and dry it between two old towels,  if it's not crumbled, already. (I'm embarrassed to say, this had happened to us on a rarely used yard tool, but it happens.)

Best of luck. You've already done a bunch for a "non-mechanic." You'll  get there!

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

15 hours ago, SeaDawg said:

@dewdev, do you have the manual for the generator? If you don't,  I can send you a pdf, or you can Google it.  It has good illustrations and instructions of maintenance, specs for proper spark plug gap, valve  clearances, etc.  Your unit has a low oil shutoff, like our westinghouse.  (Another reason the previous owner possibly couldn't get it started.)

Before I tried to fire yours up, I'd do all the annual maintenance,  especially the fuel filter and oil change. We've seen those foam fuel filters pretty much disintegrate, with lack of use. Looks like two screws to remove it for inspection, wash it  and dry it between two old towels,  if it's not crumbled, already. (I'm embarrassed to say, this had happened to us on a rarely used yard tool, but it happens.)

Best of luck. You've already done a bunch for a "non-mechanic." You'll  get there!

SeaDawg:

Thanks for the information.

Yes, I have the owner's manual.

Oil looked good and correct level when I purchased it, but I am going to change it anyway because of the Mystery Oil I used in the cylinder. Air filter is good and clean and like new condition.

After I remove the outside generator casing, I will check to find the carb (buy new replacement) and fuel fliter (clean). There is also a fuel filter under the gas cap which was clean. 

Thanks again 

Maine 

Richard...outside, and clear of flammable items: I have tried a little gasoline in a triggered oil can. Once you have identified the carburetor, spray just a little gas into the top opening of the carb. This is assuming you have spark. I have been lucky a couple of times by doing this that the engine sucks enough fresh gas on it's own to start and run. I have to say that I agree a new carb is the easiest and least frustrating solution. It sure teaches you to use a gas storage solution at the end of the season, and then drain the gas to boot. Glad you got it free.

• Like 2

For my $20 Powermate model PMO152000 inverter generator, Powermate was no help when I called them as they do not deal parts and gave me the name of the local small engine repair shop. Powermate even gave me the incorrect part number for the carb. Luckily I have the owner's manual which gave the correct part number. The local small engine repair shop used my part number from the owner's manual and gave me a price of $86.00, and it is back ordered by the supplier.

I initially ordered it but decided to cancel the order for a new carb until I gas up the generator and give it a try myself. As Mainiac suggested, I will use some starting fluid sprayed in the carb if necessary. 

I did find that the engine is a 2015 Ducar engine. (Made in China, but had good ratings.) I searched online and also at Amazon to match up my carb if I need to purchase one. I looked at a lot of pictures on Amazon but I had no luck there finding a match.

If any of you mechanicss out there can help identify this carb, I would very much appreciate it. Below is a picture of the carb.

carb (2).jpg

Maine 

yes, thanks Bill.

Are we able to rotate pictures (and how) or can it only be done by a Moderator?

Maine 

• Moderators
24 minutes ago, dewdev said:

Are we able to rotate pictures (and how) or can it only be done by a Moderator?

A moderator is not necessary (for just about anything according to my wife 😁).

I simply get a copy of the picture and save it to my computer.  I then go to my computer "picture" files, open that recently saved picture and click on "edit".  Once my edit program opens with the picture, one of the options is to "rotate" the picture.  I rotate it to the position I want and then left clock on save.  Then it is back to the Forum and I click on the three dots (hamburger) in the upper right hand corner of the post - the same place you used to delete your original picture.  Then all I do is click "choose files" to add the corrected picture to the original post and click on "save".

Other than trying to remember to go back into my picture files every so often in order to clean out pictures that are not mine - it really isn't a big deal.

Bill

• Like 5

• The title was changed to Generator Engine Piston Was Seized Up - Now trying to find new Carb