Ford f150 tpms and rear view camera

SeaDawg

• Moderators

A friend with 2021 Ford f150 is ordering an Elite. 

Can anyone tell me if Ford supplied tpms and backup camera is available  to work woth Ford screen?

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

I've been told that the answer is "yes" to both.  But I've not actually observed either in the real world.

Bill

• Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• 3 weeks later...

I'm waiting for my 2022 Ford but I inquired at the dealership. They said that the backup camera is integrated into the screen (nice) but the camera is wired (not nice). Trying to figure out which direction I want to go, which really means that I'm trying to figure out how/if I can mount the camera and safely run the wire to the hitch area.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

John and Jodi

San Antonio, TX

2022 Elite II - Hull #1126 being pulled by a 2022 F-150 Powerboost.

Map Legend: Red - Driven Through; Orange - Stopped In; Blue - Explored Parts; Green - Explored Whole

States 20230917.png

• 6 months later...

SeaDawg, your question got me looking into this as i have a 2018 f150. it appears that its a new feature on the 21 and 22 model years and i cant find anything about it for older models though apparently the super duty's have had it as an option for a number of years. got me thinking it might not be impossible to essentially create your own though. my truck already has the backup camera in the tailgate and im thinking i could maybe buy a oem replacement camera and wire it in with a switch that could be flipped to switch between the tailgate camera and the trailer camera. only issue i can think of initially is it would probably have to have its own plug at the hitch. gonna start researching this to see if its even possible.

• Like 1

2018 F150 FX4 5.0v8 

2022 Oliver Elite Hull #1285

2023 Oliver Elite Hull #1434

I have the Ford accessory trailer camera, but no Oliver yet. The camera comes with a wire harness the runs from the trailer camera to the video plug at the bumper. It will be a direct feed to the dash screen. This is a sample picture provided by Ford for the view on the dash from the Trailer cam:

Genuine Ford Trailer-Mounted Trailer Camera - TPMS - LC3Z-1A189-D ...

Ford also offers TPMS sensors for the trailer as well that integrate on the dash with the truck TPMS system. They can all be ordered in the same kit.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

What's today?............. the most frequently asked question as a retiree 🙄

Chris and Stacie Neuhaus Greenfield, Indiana

2021 Ford F350 7.3L Tremor (Redzilla)

LE2 #1373 - Ordered 10/21/22 - Delivered 05/10/23

States Visited Map

• Moderators

Coastal Aggie - 

I've been down this "rabbit hole" a couple of times now with these cameras - not the Ford one though.

Be a bit careful with wiring runs greater than about 6.5 feet.  These cameras generally operate at very low voltage and there will be voltage drop that - obviously - increases with the length of the wire run.  I thought that I'd found the "perfect" solution with a Garmin camera tied into my Garmin 890.  Unfortunately, while generally this combination worked well, there were times when either the voltage would drop to a critical point and/or the WiFi signal would be momentarily interrupted.  This cause the map screen of the Garmin to change to the camera automatically.  And, this change seemed to always happen at exactly the wrong time when I really needed the map.

Eventually I simply gave up and a good friend happened to make me a killer deal on a Furrion.  Good luck with finding a way around the Ford system.  I'm certain that it can be done but the solution is probably above my pay grade.🤪

Bill 

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators
On 5/21/2022 at 11:32 AM, John and Jodi said:

which really means that I'm trying to figure out how/if I can mount the camera and safely run the wire to the hitch area.

When I took delivery of my Oliver, the very first thing I did was to mount a camera through the spare tire cover just above the license plate light.  Over the years I've noticed that at least one person has mounted a camera on the top of the spare tire cover.  In both cases the wires were run down the inside of the cover, under the trailer (basically on the curbside ) and up into the "doghouse" area (where the propane tanks are stored).  From there it should be easy to get the wires run along with the "pigtail" to the rear of the tow vehicle.

Bill

p.s.  One of the "problems" with this camera location is that when it rains the camera is subject to greater road spray and can become virtually useless.  For this reason, I now still have the spare tire cover camera in operation but have mounted a Furrion camera in the "normal" location on the roof.  The spare tire camera gives a better perspective when backing into a spot while the Furrion gives a better picture in rain or for generally traveling down the road such that you can see not only the vehicle behind you but even ones further behind that.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Coastal Aggie said:

SeaDawg, your question got me looking into this as i have a 2018 f150. it appears that its a new feature on the 21 and 22 model years and i cant find anything about it for older models though apparently the super duty's have had it as an option for a number of years. got me thinking it might not be impossible to essentially create your own though. my truck already has the backup camera in the tailgate and im thinking i could maybe buy a oem replacement camera and wire it in with a switch that could be flipped to switch between the tailgate camera and the trailer camera. only issue i can think of initially is it would probably have to have its own plug at the hitch. gonna start researching this to see if its even possible.

For anyone that needs a trailer camera workaround, these folks offer some wiring solutions. Here's an example that applies to the '13-'20 f150 with 8" screen:

https://www.camerasource.com/products/commercial-second-cam-option-for-ford-trucks-w-8-factory-display?make_filter=6011&model_filter=6108&year_filter=6284

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

States Visited Map

54 minutes ago, topgun2 said:

Coastal Aggie - 

I've been down this "rabbit hole" a couple of times now with these cameras - not the Ford one though.

Be a bit careful with wiring runs greater than about 6.5 feet.  These cameras generally operate at very low voltage and there will be voltage drop that - obviously - increases with the length of the wire run.  I thought that I'd found the "perfect" solution with a Garmin camera tied into my Garmin 890.  Unfortunately, while generally this combination worked well, there were times when either the voltage would drop to a critical point and/or the WiFi signal would be momentarily interrupted.  This cause the map screen of the Garmin to change to the camera automatically.  And, this change seemed to always happen at exactly the wrong time when I really needed the map.

Eventually I simply gave up and a good friend happened to make me a killer deal on a Furrion.  Good luck with finding a way around the Ford system.  I'm certain that it can be done but the solution is probably above my pay grade.🤪

Bill 

You do enough mods and accessory add-ons that you may find this item useful in some situations. It's also available from the above mentioned Video supplier:

https://www.camerasource.com/products/universal-intelligent-12volt-power-source

• Thanks 1

States Visited Map

23 minutes ago, Ollie-Haus said:

For anyone that needs a trailer camera workaround, these folks offer some wiring solutions. Here's an example that applies to the '13-'20 f150 with 8" screen:

well that looks to be exactly what i was thinking of making. probably just gonna go with this rather than messing about trying to design my own in the limited time i have off from work.

• Like 2

2018 F150 FX4 5.0v8 

I have the GM accessory rear-view trailer camera.  I'm assuming the Ford would be very similar but I don't know.  I ordered it from a Chevy Dealer online to save a few bucks and installed it myself which turned out to be pretty easy.  I've copied the link to that post below.  Anyway - my favorite feature, by far, is that the "guidelines" that appear on the screen when backing up the trailer move when the steering wheel is turned to "forecast" where the trailer will go in reverse.  It's been super helpful when backing into tight camping spots at angles.  I doubt any aftermarket cameras can do this but I bet the Ford version can.  Also - at first I was dissapointed that the rear camera was not wireless.  However, the crystal clarity and zero latency of the view on the screen is due to the hardwire and I appreciate it.    It seems GM and Ford make hardly any info available about these trailer cameras and that makes it hard know much before install.  My local GM dealer knew almost nothing about them and was no help.  I'm really glad I went with the manufacturer system on my Silverado.

• Like 2

2020 Elite II #627, 2021 Silverado 1500 3.0L Duramax, Colorado

I mounted my Furrion TrailerCam high and tied it into the running lights circuit in the Attic.  I often cover 500 miles solo, but after a long day, I really try to avoid trailering at night.  As such, I don't generally put many excess miles on the TrailerCam.  When backing, or if I want to see what's going on back there, I simply turn on the running lights.   Works well for our situation.   

More germane to this thread though is that I contacted Furrion an Ford to see if there was any way their camera could display on our F-150  center 8" screen.  Nope.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DYI’s:  BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DYI’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Timken Bearings, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all.

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

18 hours ago, Geronimo John said:

More germane to this thread though is that I contacted Furrion an Ford to see if there was any way their camera could display on our F-150  center 8" screen.  Nope.

Ive been trying to find whatever i could on how to do this as i dont want an extra monitor just for the camera and it looks like the one that Ollie-haus shared and this one https://www.americantrucks.com/raxiom-f150-trailer-rear-vision-kit-for-ford-8-inch-display-9002-7805.html#customer_q_and_a are the only ones ive seen that will do that for anything older than a 2021 ford. it works off of having a manual switch to change the camera source for the backup camera. unfortunately it looks like it will only work in reverse so it doesnt do any good if you want it displayed while driving.

2018 F150 FX4 5.0v8 

• Moderators
43 minutes ago, Coastal Aggie said:

unfortunately it looks like it will only work in reverse so it doesnt do any good if you want it displayed while driving.

This is usually because the wiring/power source for the camera is the backup lights.

When I installed mine I used a dedicated circuit for the power source - with a switch so I could turn it on/off.

Bill

On 4/29/2022 at 9:55 PM, SeaDawg said:

A friend with 2021 Ford f150 is ordering an Elite. 

Can anyone tell me if Ford supplied tpms and backup camera is available  to work woth Ford screen?

I saw a number of responses concerning the rear view camera but nothing specific to the TPMS.  I'd love to have a system that speaks to the truck instead of adding another device to the dash or trying to sync with my phone.

• Like 2

SOLD:  2021 Elite 2, Twin Bed, Lithium & Solar, 3000W Inverter

SOLD:  2022 Ford F150, 3.5L V6 EcoBoost, 4x4 Supercab, Trailer Tow Package

On 11/24/2022 at 5:23 AM, Ollie-Haus said:

https://www.camerasource.com/products/commercial-second-cam-option-for-ford-trucks-w-8-factory-display?make_filter=6011&model_filter=6108&year_filter=6284

OH:  Thanks for the reference to the Camera Source system.  I noted the 64' of cable run.  Would work nicely.  Except for the "only in reverse" issue.

So, for grins I called the Camera Source and asked about the "In Reverse Only".  Their Technician, who installed this unit in his Ford 150, indicated that because of Ford programming, it has to be controlled by the Ford computer.  This requirement came about as a result of the Ford Programmers.  I asked about picking up another power source, such as I use on my Furrion (see above).  He indicated "Sadly, that will not work due to the Ford Programmers".  So basically, nice try... but no go.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DYI’s:  BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DYI’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Timken Bearings, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all.

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

John, i have managed to find a product called a sync lockpick or something along those lines that will allow for using the camera while driving. however im having trouble finding any information on using it on 2017-2020 trucks. It says it works with all ford 8 inch screens however their vehicle compatibility list only goes up to 2015 and the website i found it on doesnt seem very well organized. Ive contacted their support email to see if it will work but waiting on a response. 

• Thanks 1

2018 F150 FX4 5.0v8