Enough tech talk, go camping

routlaw

51 minutes ago, VBistro said:

Such a beautiful part of the country.  Camped on the south side of 70 a few years ago and did some long gravel rides on the north side.  Returning is definitely on the list!

Sounds like you might have gone into the Buckhorn Wash and Canyon area? We had planned on doing this as well but a couple of days of pouring kept us out that area. Hope you can make it back again soon.

Legacy Elite II #70

8 hours ago, routlaw said:

Jim we only drove in part of the way, then parked and hiked the rest. After parking some parts of the road were a bit rough even for high clearance vehicles.

Thanks. That's about what I'd hoped - that I could get my Ford E250 van to the parking and walk the rest. That's among the spots I'd like to check out next time I'm around there. Sounds like it would be cool to go deep into the Swell sometime but probably best with a truck or jeep/rover-like vehicle.

• Like 1

Jim and  Yanna, Woodinville WA

2004 Ford E250 camper conversion

Oliver Elite II hull #709

8 hours ago, Jim_Oker said:

Thanks. That's about what I'd hoped - that I could get my Ford E250 van to the parking and walk the rest. That's among the spots I'd like to check out next time I'm around there. Sounds like it would be cool to go deep into the Swell sometime but probably best with a truck or jeep/rover-like vehicle.

Yeah with one of those I don’t think you would have a problem. Understand too there are a couple of well maintained gravel roads through both the south end and north end of the Swell/Reef which can become impassable when wet but otherwise most vehicles can travel over with no problem although they can get a bit rough in parts. Your van would be fine on those major routes in the area. Some of the roads within the Swell are true 4WD though. I would recommend the National Geographic Trail map that cover the entire San Rafael area. Highly recommended.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

Legacy Elite II #70

14 hours ago, routlaw said:

Understand too there are a couple of well maintained gravel roads through both the south end and north end of the Swell/Reef which can become impassable when wet but otherwise most vehicles can travel over with no problem although they can get a bit rough in parts. Your van would be fine on those major routes in the area. Some of the roads within the Swell are true 4WD though. I would recommend the National Geographic Trail map that cover the entire San Rafael area. Highly recommended.

Yes, I have that map and have noted that there are some routes I could do, as you say while not wet (I always carry enough water and food to hunker down for something like a week when out on roads that could shut me down if wet even if I see no rain in the forecast). Looks like it would be fun to be able to poke around a bit on the other roads though. I've been up I think it's called "Behind the Reef" road a little ways from near Hanksville (the photo below is from that afternoon/evening venture) - there's some cool stuff around there and I've just barely scratched the surface. I've seen some cool photos looking toward Factory Butte from some overlook on the SE ege. Etc etc 

Jim Capitol Reef-3.jpg

• Like 5

On 5/3/2022 at 9:00 AM, Kathy A T said:

Wow incredible pictures-I love the pictographs and can hardly believe people deface them.  We can't wait to return to Utah.

Thank you Kathy. Sadly it is true many of these to get vandalized in some form or the other. 

Legacy Elite II #70

11 hours ago, Jim_Oker said:

Yes, I have that map and have noted that there are some routes I could do, as you say while not wet (I always carry enough water and food to hunker down for something like a week when out on roads that could shut me down if wet even if I see no rain in the forecast). Looks like it would be fun to be able to poke around a bit on the other roads though. I've been up I think it's called "Behind the Reef" road a little ways from near Hanksville (the photo below is from that afternoon/evening venture) - there's some cool stuff around there and I've just barely scratched the surface. I've seen some cool photos looking toward Factory Butte from some overlook on the SE ege. Etc etc 

That is correct the Behind the Reef Road is sort of close to Hanksville in relative terms and spurs off the main road called Temple Mount Road. We did not have the time to travel the full length of BtRR but its my understanding it gets very 4WD further down. We took it as far as the Wild Horse Canyon trailhead which was no sweat for most vehicles. I would take a wild guess some of those photos you're referring to might have been from Goblin Valley State Park. We did not venture into this park but would like to someday. 

• Like 1

Legacy Elite II #70

1 hour ago, routlaw said:

I would take a wild guess some of those photos you're referring to might have been from Goblin Valley State Park.

I've been to Goblin Valley - definitely cool (see a few pics below, along with a shot of Little Wildhorse Canyon and a few from the very cool pre-Peuebloan Horseshoe Canyon pictographs across the highway and about 30 miles down a heavily washboarded road with a few intriguing sand drifts coming across for chuckles) - after a little memory refresh, the spot I was thinking of is often called "Moonscape Overlook" - see https://www.revesdailleurs.com/moonscape_factory_butte_en.html which looks like a cool spot to spend an evening. So many places to see, so little time!

GOblins at twilight-.jpg

goblins.jpg

Little Wild Horse.jpg

Little-Wildhorse-Canyon--2.jpg

Utah-1-6.jpg

Utah-3-8.jpg

Utah-4-6.jpg

• Like 4
  • Love 1

7 hours ago, Jim_Oker said:

I've been to Goblin Valley - definitely cool (see a few pics below, along with a shot of Little Wildhorse Canyon and a few from the very cool pre-Peuebloan Horseshoe Canyon pictographs across the highway and about 30 miles down a heavily washboarded road with a few intriguing sand drifts coming across for chuckles) - after a little memory refresh, the spot I was thinking of is often called "Moonscape Overlook" - see https://www.revesdailleurs.com/moonscape_factory_butte_en.html which looks like a cool spot to spend an evening. So many places to see, so little time!

Nice! We've also been out to Horseshoe Canyon a few years ago too. Well worth the effort, great hike and amazing pictographs for sure. That Moonscape Overlook area is awesome. I'll have to investigate that one the next trip down there. Thanks for sharing. 

• Like 3

Legacy Elite II #70