Venting refrigerator heat with fan

• Moderators

My Dometic refrigerator also came equipped from Oliver with a vent fan in 2017.  And as Mike said, it also has a fan switch on the main panel just inside of the door.  With the fan switch on, power is sent to a thermostat which then sends the 12v power onto the fan.  So even if the switch is in the on position, the fan will not run until the thermostat reaches a set temperature then it comes on and shuts off when it cools to a set temperature.  Mine usually shuts off at night and back on in the morning when it warms up.  There are fan kits available on the internet as well as YouTube video’s on how to install one.

Mossey

• Like 2

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

• Moderators
1 hour ago, John & Nancy said:

Has anyone added a vent fan at the heat vent outlet of their refrigerator?

Many people have done that if their 3way doesn't have an exhaust fan built in. Our original 2008 Norcold did not have a vent fan, and some dometics don't either.

You can find a myriad of solutions on YouTube. Some folks have just attached a small clip on battery powered fan to the upper vent to increase exhaust when camping in the heat.

Other friends have also installed little fans inside the fridge to better circulate the cold air. I'm thinking about adding one to our DC compressor fridge, as I generally need to unlosd and defrost it every 10 to 15 days, as the frost buildup in the freezer can impede operation of the freezer door. (Broke the door once already due to this.)

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

@johnwen and @John & Nancy, what year, and which model fridge, do you have?

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

I learned that some Dometic RM2454 fridges have cooling fans located between the upper and lower coils, in an area that is completely inaccessible without removing the unit entirely. Jason in Service told me that they started receiving these units in mid-2017 (mine was delivered in May '17), and that previously there was NO Dometic fan installed. On those units Oliver added their own fan, positioned up high above the upper coils where it was easily reached, and I believe these fans also had an inside On/ Off switch. Yay! Good thinking.

https://olivertraveltrailers.com/forums/topic/3296-how-to-dometic-refrigerator-cooling-fan-noisy-disconnect-the-power-wire/

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 2

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

2 hours ago, John E Davies said:

I learned that some Dometic RM2454 fridges have cooling fans located between the upper and lower coils, in an area that is completely inaccessible without removing the unit entirely. Jason in Service told me that they started receiving these units in mid-2017 (mine was delivered in May '17), and that previously there was NO Dometic fan installed. On those units Oliver added their own fan, positioned up high above the upper coils where it was easily reached, and I believe these fans also had an inside On/ Off switch. Yay! Good thinking.

https://olivertraveltrailers.com/forums/topic/3296-how-to-dometic-refrigerator-cooling-fan-noisy-disconnect-the-power-wire/

John Davies

Spokane WA

Thank you, John 🙂 

• Like 2

Oliver II #996 "Bessie", 2019 Silverado LTZ 5.3, Veterans

https://wenandjohnsadventure.com/

• Moderators

@johnwen, you night open a ticket and share the results.

I "think" the current norcold may have an internal fan, to decrease frost buildup on the fins.  I've not seen one, so unsure.

Maybe Oliver is still installing  an exhaust "lift"  fan. I  really don't know . Most people probably won't find it necessary,  but the extra lift would help those who routinely camp in high temp conditions.  Not my cup of tea. 

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4