Want to Visit Grandson in Florida

Our grandson attends Florida Gulf Coast University in Estero, Fl [the Naples/Fort Myers area] & we would like to visit him. Of course, we want to go in the Jan/Feb time frame because: 1) March is spring break at his school; 2) April - Sept, Oct? way too hot. I have done a quick search and nothing has come back. O, & again of course, we do not want to spend an arm & a leg. Maybe we should go in the Fall? I have not checked dates for this time period. Any thoughts, suggestions?? Thank you!!

Florida sounds especially nice right now as we are currently at the Lewis and Clark State Park in Onawa, IA. It is overcast & 50ish & no sign of Spring.   brrr~~~

Bonus fun fact from Wikipedia re Onawa: "The city is known for having the widest main street in the continental United States"

PXL_20220503_214802476.jpg

• Like 2

SGC & GRC

Hull 224 [2017]

2017 GMC Sierra HD Crew Cab Diesel

ALARDEFLGAINLAMEMDMNMSMOMTNJNCNDOHPASCSD   Map of Provinces I Visitedimage.png.f8ebba1142570e619cdfe801998f4b4d.png

• Moderators

October is one of our favorite months in Florida. Hurricane risk is lower, usually cooler and drier. And, you can more easily find campsites in shoulder season...before the Canadians and northerners come down. Sites really start filling up after Thanksgiving through April.

• Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

We have stayed at Collier Seminole State Park in Naples on two separate trips. It may be tough to get a site.  The park is well maintained and close to Marco Island and south Naples.  There are a number of private parks.  We know other Oliver owners that stay at a park on Sanibel Island.   Good luck.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Seadawg: thank you for info re Oct. After making the original post, I talked with Steve & he too thought this would be a better time to go. 

Nancy K & Mattnan,I will definitely check these out! ty

SGC & GRC

Hull 224 [2017]

2017 GMC Sierra HD Crew Cab Diesel

ALARDEFLGAINLAMEMDMNMSMOMTNJNCNDOHPASCSD   Map of Provinces I Visitedimage.png.f8ebba1142570e619cdfe801998f4b4d.png

One nice park that comes to mind is Koreshan State Park. It's in the south part of Lee County. From there, you have easy access to head east to FGCU campus area via Alico Road (off US41).... 

I should also mention it's along a creek where you can canoe or kayak, and it is home to a unique historic site. Here is the link for reservations via the Florida SP system:

https://reserve.floridastateparks.org/web/Facilities/SearchViewUnitAvailabity.aspx

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Oliver Elite II Twin (delivered 3/28/2022)   Tow Vehicle: Chevy Silverado 2500HD diesel "Estrella"

ALARCOFLGAIAKSKYMONENDOKSDTNWYDDDDDDmed.

On 5/5/2022 at 4:08 PM, SeaDawg said:

Sites really start filling up after Thanksgiving through April.

Just as the hurricanes and mosquitoes quiet down the snowbirds start piling up! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Oliver Elite II Twin (delivered 3/28/2022)   Tow Vehicle: Chevy Silverado 2500HD diesel "Estrella"

ALARCOFLGAIAKSKYMONENDOKSDTNWYDDDDDDmed.