Battery replacement with AMG batteries over the stock deep cycle batteries

Just wondering if I have to do any thing to the Progressive Controller when I switch from the stock deep cycle batteries to AMG batteries. I think I read somewhere, or on this forum that there is nothing to do, but if you go with Lithium batteries there is a switch that needs to be switched. My 2019 Elite II came with the Progressive Dynamics Charge Controller Model PD4000. Any info on this would be appreciated, thanks, trainman

2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.

Nothing to change when switching to AGMs. The PD only has a single charging profile for lead acid batteries. Your 2019 may not have the updated converter with the Li mode switch. The only way to tell is to pull the front off and look at the circuit board.

• Like 1

replaced the battery yesterday with a AGM battery, so far, so good. I only went with one battery as for our use we seldom use battery power and only when I adjust the tongue jack if even them. We keep the trailer plugged into 120v power when at home, so it's hard to tell when a 12v power drain is being used from the battery, but it goes with the system, so we got one. 

trainman

• Like 2

Also, once again if you keep your Oliver plugged 24/7 you will wear out your AGMs prematurely, just like boiling wet cell batteries dry. Unplug then, turn off all power to the camper so there is no phantom draw on the battery. Perhaps 24 hours before leaving on a trip, restore shore power.

Legacy Elite II #70

I think I will take the advice and not keep the shore power plugged in all the time, that is I may just plug it in once a month for a day or so and let the batteries catch up if need be. We try to camp once a month or so, so this should not be a problem with the battery and hope we can get a better life out of this battery. 

trainman

• Like 1