Replacing Microwave

Help, I posted before my microwave quit working so I got a Toshiba replacement, same size, same wattage etc. The problem I have is removing the old microwave. See pic.  I cannot pull the power cord plug through the over head cabinet. Anyone have any ideas? 

I don't want to cut the power cord (even though the microwave is not working) because I will have same the problem pushing the new microwave power cord through to the outlet in the cabinet above. I could take the cover of the microwave and  disconnect the power cord and pull it through for the bad microwave and then again for the new one.  Anyone got any suggestions? I wonder how did the Oliver people get the power plug through in the first place. 

microwave.jpg

• Moderators

WOW - you are really trying to test my memory!  It has been a couple of years since I had the microwave out and in - but - as I remember it - 

I pulled the rubber mat out of the cabinet above the microwave, got the plug through the hole on the inside of the microwave cabinet and then gently pulling on the cord while moving the cord back and forth, I found that there was one spot that allowed me to get that plug up into the upper cabinet.  Note - I did not have to force it but it was snug.  In reversing the process I basically took a wire coat hanger, again through the hole in the microwave cabinet, up through the "slot", wrapped the new microwave cord and coat hanger together and brought the cord back down into the microwave cabinet.

Hopefully that will get you where you need to be.

Bill

• Like 4

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Thank you Bill.  I finally figured it out. There was a another electrical line (black conduit) along with a yellow one running back there blocking the access hole so when lifted them both up with a screw driver  I was able to wiggle power cord out and get the new microwave power cord in. see attached pic. I used a piece of string tied to the plug to pull it through. I got the new microwave in now. It's working but I haven't got the trim back on yet. Fingers crossed.  

IMG_2801.jpg

• Like 5

Success, I got the new microwave in. 😃 I replaced the High Point one with a Toshiba EM925A5A-BS That was a lot cheaper than High point. It is the same size and wattage and I was able to use the existing trim, screws etc. from the Non functioning High point. 

IMG_2802.thumb.jpg.39f06dd15d7b653f97e7907d96871228.jpg

• Like 7

• Moderators

Nicely done, Imelda!

• Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Awesome work!  My microwave in my '17 ILOVHER is a Contoure RV-950S.  I'm hoping I can find, like you, an off the shelf replacement that will fit that space.   Right now there's a coupled induction between the internal speaker and some other internal component which makes subtle crackling noises. (This coming from the manufacturer who never got back to us on a new board)   The microwave works fine despite the noise, so in the interim, I've put a switch to turn it off when not being used.   I don't really use it much and wish I just had a cupboard there but woodworking isn't in my wheelhouse.

2020 Toyota Tundra TRD Sport 5.7L V8 

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II  Hull #184 ~ "ILOVHER"

I have to have a microwave. I am not a very good cook, reheating is more my game. However one thing I have found invaluable when travelling in my Oliver is a small air fryer I bring along. It doesn't take up much space and it has tons of recipes for it and a lot of food I buy in the freezer section (healthy of course)  comes with air fryer heating instructions. 

https://www.amazon.com/Ultrean-Electric-Nonstick-Certified-Warranty/dp/B07FF117K7/ref=sr_1_11?crid=3RZAVO5YW2AN&keywords=air%2Bfryer&qid=1652042757&sprefix=air%2B%2Caps%2C143&sr=8-11&th=1

7 hours ago, csevel said:

Awesome work!  My microwave in my '17 ILOVHER is a Contoure RV-950S.  I'm hoping I can find, like you, an off the shelf replacement that will fit that space.   Right now there's a coupled induction between the internal speaker and some other internal component which makes subtle crackling noises. (This coming from the manufacturer who never got back to us on a new board)   The microwave works fine despite the noise, so in the interim, I've put a switch to turn it off when not being used.   I don't really use it much and wish I just had a cupboard there but woodworking isn't in my wheelhouse.

cevel:

I bet if you contact Foy Sperring, he might be able to custom make a cabint that could just be slide into the opening. You would have to anchor it somehow, but Foy could give you some pointers on fastening.

2018 Oliver Elite II, Twin Bed, Hull #354 

2024 RAM 1500, 4 x 4; Gas. 5.7L V8 Hemi MDS VVT Torque; 3.21 rear axle ratio

Maine 

• Moderators

Imelda, I have owned 3 air fryers. Love them. Like a mini convection oven. I can see why you carry a small one.

I use mine all the time, at home, so I don't have to fire up a big oven for small items: 

Zucchini boats, etc. Roasting asparagus or squash. Rosemary baby potatoes, etc.

Chops and chicken .

Muffins, quiche, etc. Cookies.  Biscuits.

Most (maybe not all) things I bake, I can manage in an air fryer

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators
11 hours ago, csevel said:

Not in your wheelhouse today, maybe, but you've shown you're pretty fearless to learning a few new skills, @csevel.

If you decide you want to ditch the microwave,  I'm sure you can do it. And, we'll help. Got rid of ours a few years ago.

• Love 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4