Any Ideas about or advice for this Maxx Air Fan Breakdown?

Spike

We have a 2017 LE2. The fan has worked well until today when I tried to open the cover. It wouldn’t open, and I discovered these broken parts. 

I texted my RV tech with the photos, failing to send any accompanying written text. While I was writing a new text to explain the photos, he called to say he knew why I had sent the text. He told me that it was a common problem with this Maxx Air Fan and gave me this bad news: The parts are hard or impossible to find. He said it MAY be possible to get them somewhere, but not through the shop where he works and not from Maxx Air.

He suggested that, instead of ordering a whole new Maxx Air fan, I might want to purchase a Fan-Tastic fan, telling me that parts for it are usually readily available. I’m OK with replacing our fan with a basic model—without remote and the other features, such as temperature settings. 

We’ve got a great tech, very familiar with our Olle, who has volunteered to come to me on his weekend off to do the replacement or to make the repair to the Mass Air if I am able to get the parts. (By the way, things in the local RV repair business are crazy: His shop, which is the biggest within 100 miles of where I live, is accepting NO new appointments at this time.)

I am open to any ideas concerning finding these seemingly elusive parts for the Maxx Air fan or for opinions on replacing it with the basic (manual open and close) Fan-Tastic fan which seems to run about $220. 

P.S. I have never been sorry for asking for advice on this forum. For instance, when the side of my Ollie was attacked a few months agog by a very aggressive fence post when I was towing it on my property, leaving an ugly deep gouge into the gel coat on its side, I asked for and received advice on this forum: File an insurance claim and find a good boat repair shop, which I did. If anyone needs a recommendation for a great—but not inexpensive—boat repair shop in Tuscon, PM me, and I will be glad to share my experience. No one could detect the spot now where that aggressive fence post attacked.

AAdRfAe5R7ejB6ERwUqywQ.jpg

99xqYDQlQDeXUVDKqrHVog.jpg

Ayc8RZYvTwObbEFKjpBnjA.jpg

mLn0vfyGSY2TQXLOTEncyg.jpg

Onward through the Fog!

EarthPicks of Cochise County

AZCACOKSMONVNMORTNTXUTmed.jpg

• Moderator+

Is that part of the transmission or part of the lifting mechanism?  This may be all you need.

• Thanks 1

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

• Moderator+
  • Thanks 2
  • Like 2

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

38 minutes ago, ScubaRx said:

Thanks, Steve. I ran this by my tech, and he wrote back that it seems to be the part. I asked him, if I ordered this part, would he be able to do the repair. If he answers in the affirmative, I'll order it. Glad I asked here. 

Onward through the Fog!

• Moderators

Mine did the same a few years ago.  I ordered the part from the company.  It’s fairly easy to replace, no need to take the fan out.  I posted some pictures that I will try to find.  Mike

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

Common problem. Easy to replace from the roof. They've improved the design of that gearbox now. The new ones are reinforced with a couple of metal screws.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

Stephanie and Dudley from CT.  2022 LE2, Hull #1150: Eggcelsior.

Tow vehicle: 2016 GMC Sierra 6.0 gas dually 4x4.

Our Oliver journey: Steph and Dud B's RV Screed

Where we've been RVing since 1999:

ALAZCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpg.b96241bad6752dec89d25af6ffbc8d99.jpg

On 5/9/2022 at 9:40 PM, ScubaRx said:

This may be all you need.

Just an FYI for any others who may need this part. ebay wanted $92.99 plus shipping. I was able to order it on Amazon for $40.70 and free shipping since I am a Prime member:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07XD67D86/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

On the other hand, I wouldn't have known what part to order had it not been for you, Steve. Thanks.

• Like 4

Onward through the Fog!