Water pump not drawing water

Water pump doesn’t draw from exterior source through boondocking inlet (bucket w/bleach water solution to sanitize system) with valves in boondocking configuration (per instructions) or from fresh tank. Tried priming pump & still no draw. Pump is running but not drawing. Suggestions welcome.

18 minutes ago, Keith Kaiser said:

Tried priming pump & still no draw.

When this happened to me, I had a loose connection between the source (your bleach bucket) and the pump such that it was drawing air in and cavitating.

• Like 2

2018 LE2 #333  "the Otter"

2015 Silverado 2500HD

Are the connections on either end of the inlet hose that attaches to the pump tight? If either of those is drawing air, you could get those symptoms. Also check that the strainer bowl on the pump is screwed on tight (and that it isn't cracked) - this is the clear plastic "bowl" with a metal strainer on the inlet side of the pump. Any air getting in on the inlet side via these spots could prevent the pump from drawing water from either the boondock port or the fresh tank.

• Like 3

Jim and  Yanna, Woodinville WA

2004 Ford E250 camper conversion

Oliver Elite II hull #709

Another thought is to remove the inlet hose and inspect to see if it's filled with plastic shavings, which seems to happen on a fair number of Olivers. With sufficient blockage, it may be able to prevent the pump from drawing in water from the tank or boondock port.

• Like 1

Jim and  Yanna, Woodinville WA

2004 Ford E250 camper conversion

Oliver Elite II hull #709

I've never use our trailer where we got water this way thru the pump, I thought you had to turn a valve under the bed compartment to let this system work correctly. Not sure if this is correct or not, let me know what is the correct way of doing this.

trainman

2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.

I've struggled with mine a few times too and found that raising the bottom of the bucket and lines above the inlet, as if you were going to siphon into the trailer, helps a lot.

Jerry & Kathy

2019 LEII Standard #539 + 2019 Tundra Limited 4X4

• Moderators
8 hours ago, Trainman said:

let me know what is the correct way of doing this

Make sure that your valves - located near the water pump - are in the "boondocking position" if you want to draw water into you fresh water tank or in the "winterization position" if you just want to draw anti-freeze into your plumbing lines without drawing it into the fresh water tank.  Then attach a short length ( 2 to 3 feet) of garden hose to the port located at the rear passenger/curb side of the Oliver.  Place the hose into the liquid, go inside and turn on the water pump.

This should then draw the liquid into the Ollie.  Observe the level of the liquid going down and turn off the water pump when you are drawing air versus liquid.

After you are finished drawing the liquid into the Ollie simply put your valves into the "normal position".

Bill

p.s.  if you are unsure what valve position is right for your camper then refer to the Oliver University for a chart that shows the valve configurations for your year/model of camper.

• Like 3

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

46 minutes ago, Boudicca908 said:

I was also warned not to draw antifreeze into the on-demand waterheater.... and that involves the same valve settings. 

That is correct always bypass the Truma when winterizing. I also bypass the Truma when I sanitize my fresh water tank and plumbing system.

• Like 1

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Same topic, different situation…

No water hookup. Took filter out of Truma and drained that tank due to overnight freezing temps. 

Next day turned on pump and realized I was dumping water out of the Truma. Replaced filter and stopped that leak.

Pump barely performed. Assumed air bubble in system. 

Hooked up pressurized fresh water to see if that would clear it. Ran water through all lines then disconnected. 

Tried pump again. It runs continuously as if trying to pressurize and produces minimal water pressure when turning on kitchen faucet. 

Pulled pump filter. It was clear and had some water in it. I filled it up, reinstalled, but didn’t make much difference. 

Am I missing another way to clear the lines?

(Not related, but now furnace doesn’t come on…so chasing propane issue I guess, feast or famine)

2020 Legacy Elite II Hull 625 - 2013 Lexus LX 570

San Antonio/Boerne - Texas Hill Country

• Moderators

I have the suburban hot water tank, so this is a shot in the dark…. I thought I read somewhere that the Truma has a setting for when it drops below 32 that keeps it from freezing.  It seems like keeping the inside of the trailer warm would negate having to drain the Truma unless it got really cold.

Since you used city water and cleared the lines, there must be an air leak somewhere.  I know nothing about the Truma but that is where I would start since that was what was changed before the issue started.  Could it be the Truma filter?  Mike

• Like 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS