Packing the wheel bearings

I am going to have some one come by and pack the wheel bearings on my Oliver. It has just hit the first 12,000 miles according to my mileage log. I would like to know how to do this so I can watch and make sure its being done correctly. Is there a how to pack Oliver wheel bearings video somewhere I can watch?

Imelda  

here's what Oliver has posted on their YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvg2zHEXcqM

There are some other YouTube videos posted by other folks on maintaining Dexter axle bearings on YouTube that go a little more slowly and go into more detail that you may find helpful (search on "dexter axle bearing repack" on YouTube), and I also found this video which helped me understand this step which other videos went through too quickly for me to catch the importance of the "drag it across your palm" step https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhL1uAp_WCw

• Like 4

Jim and  Yanna, Woodinville WA

2004 Ford E250 camper conversion

Oliver Elite II hull #709

Jim, thank you. Looks like a really messy job and I have someone recommended coming out but I want to make sure it goes well so my being knowledgeable on how it should go would be helpful. Also where can I purchase some spare bearings in case we have to replace some after we check them. 

Imelda 

• Moderators

Imelda - 

Here on the Forum there are numerous threads concerning wheel bearings.  It is fairly well recognized that Timken bearings are about the best out there but there is some difficulty in making sure that you actually do get the Timken bearings that you pay for.  I'd suggest typing "Timken" in the search box and start reading.

If you are not as concerned about the quality of the bearings that you will be using or you simply want to make sure that you have an extra set with you on the road in the event something unfortunate happens then you can purchase something like the bearings below:

Bill

wheel bearings.JPG

• Like 4

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

What is the best wheel bearing grease to use to pack the wheel bearing on my Oliver? There are a lot of grease options. Should I use Timken's high performances or is Lucas Oil grease just as good? 

10 minutes ago, Imelda said:

What is the best wheel bearing grease to use to pack the wheel bearing on my Oliver? There are a lot of grease options. Should I use Timken's high performances or is Lucas Oil grease just as good? 

This has been discussed many times. Short answer:

Redline CV-2

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 2

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators

In a recent review of wheel bearing grease - the Redline CV-2 beat out even the Timkens own brand.

Bill

p.s.  HERE'S that review

• Like 3

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

22 minutes ago, topgun2 said:

In a recent review of wheel bearing grease - the Redline CV-2 beat out even the Timkens own brand.

Bill

p.s.  HERE'S that review

Looked at the link, Redline CV-2 is not even mentioned on this review, but Lucas Red and Tacky is the winner. 

Legacy Elite II #70

On 5/10/2022 at 2:41 PM, Jim_Oker said:

here's what Oliver has posted on their YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvg2zHEXcqM

There are some other YouTube videos posted by other folks on maintaining Dexter axle bearings on YouTube that go a little more slowly and go into more detail .......

Yeah in that first video where they show prying out the bearing.... it last all of 2 and a half seconds and that if you slow it down to 25%.   It's almost as if they want it to be a big secret.  Thanks for posting it though Jim.  

Scotty

• Like 2

Gregg & Donna Scott and Missy the Westie  -    The Flying Sea Turtle - Hull # 145     Western NC

CTDEGAMDMANHNJNYNCPASCTNVAxlg.jpg

Can I use the electric jacks on the trailer to raise it up on one side of the trailer to get the wheels of that side and then do the other side or is this not a good idea? Just edited this when i found a thread that says I can raise one side using the jacks and then the other. 

Edited by Imelda
Found more info

• Moderators
13 hours ago, routlaw said:

Looked at the link, Redline CV-2 is not even mentioned on this review, but Lucas Red and Tacky is the winner. 

WOW!

Certainly you are correct and the Redline wasn't even in the testing sample.

I'll blame my error on Friday the 13th!

Bill

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Imelda said:

Can I use the electric jacks on the trailer to raise it up on one side of the trailer to get the wheels of that side and then do the other side or is this not a good idea? Just edited this when i found a thread that says I can raise one side using the jacks and then the other. 

Imelda, this has been discussed many times on the forum. Initially Oliver recommended this, then changed their mind due to the manufacturers (Barker) rnot recommending doing this. To make a long story short from what I can determine many Oliver owners use the built in jacks without the blessing of Oliver while others use a mobile hydraulic jack. If your Oliver is a newer one with enhanced steel plates on the frame, use a mobile jack, if older without the steel plates there seems to be no real consensus as to the best or safest method. I would encourage you to do a thorough search of the forum to learn more.

• Like 4

Legacy Elite II #70

46 minutes ago, topgun2 said:

WOW!

Certainly you are correct and the Redline wasn't even in the testing sample.

I'll blame my error on Friday the 13th!

Bill

Not a problem, Friday the 13th is a good enough excuse, must be it.

Legacy Elite II #70

12 hours ago, Imelda said:

Oliver no longer recommends using the electric jacks to lift the trailer for tire changes or wheel bearing service, only for stabilizing the trailer to prevent rocking.  Oliver doesn’t even call them “jacks”.  They are a “three point power stabilizer system”.

I use some pieces of 4”x4” lumber and a heavy duty scissor jack (3.5 ton rating) to lift one side of the trailer at the marked lift points on the suspension subframe (Note: not all Olivers have the lift points marked like this in the photo).  And once I have the trailer lifted I put the electric stabilizer down just as a safety backup.

Used this setup for my wheel bearing repacking, and I carry the wood and the scissor jack on the road as well in the bed of the truck for changing a flat tire if needed.

If you use a hydraulic floor jack or a hydraulic bottle jack, you still need some type of safety backup like jack stands or using the Ollie stabilizers.  Hydraulic jacks can leak and collapse.  

1B8FA697-B71D-48E9-9E3C-923D55997BFB.jpeg

• Like 5

And remember..... If you don't have a bottle jack.....  A bottle of Jack will help you pass the time while you pay someone else to do the wheel bearings. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Gregg & Donna Scott and Missy the Westie  -    The Flying Sea Turtle - Hull # 145     Western NC

CTDEGAMDMANHNJNYNCPASCTNVAxlg.jpg

I have these drive on trailer jacks I was thinking of using on my Oliver. I have used them on my horse trailers. Trust me, there is nothing more stressful than changing a flat tire along a busy highway with horses in my horse trailer. Using this I don't have to unhook the horse trailer or have to get the horses out. So I was thinking of hooking up the Oliver and using this to take the wheels of and repack them one by one. Anybody see why this would not work?

Imelda

image.thumb.png.987235631d427fc3669039c55100fcb4.png

image.png

4 minutes ago, ScottyGS said:

And remember..... If you don't have a bottle jack.....  A bottle of Jack will help you pass the time while you pay someone else to do the wheel bearings. 

And of course  a bottle of Jack would definitely improve the situation😀 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Imelda said:

Anybody see why this would not work?

Unfortunately those ramps will not work with Dexter E-Z Flex dual axle.  If you lift one wheel, the other will stay on the ground.   See this link from a previous discussion on similar topic.

https://olivertraveltrailers.com/forums/topic/3630-jack-points/page/2/

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

“Ramble” - 2021 Legacy Elite II #797;  2020 Ford F-250