Lug Nuts

In another thread I posted that I discovered three or four cracked lug nuts on the Sendel aluminum wheels I have on my '17 Oliver.  The new set of bulge acorn lug nuts came today and I just want to make sure that they look ok/correct.  They seat farther down into the hole than the originals and the threads are not as deep.(about a quarter inch difference)   I have zero trouble sending them back, safety first!

https://amzn.to/3FzxMFB

If you look close you can see the crack in the overlay.  

The plan is to change them all out, torque to 90# and then again after 50 miles or so. 

Thanks for any input!

279507672_535034761594215_7305295366690876104_n.jpg

• Like 3

2020 Toyota Tundra TRD Sport 5.7L V8 

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II  Hull #184 ~ "ILOVHER"

You should be good as long as the thread grip length doesn't bottom out, i.e. too short a nut depth engaging the lug. My LE's lugs don't extend very far out of the wheel (can't recall the exact measurement). Make sure the nuts are long enough to get a good grip with the socket you use for torquing too! One of the stock nut's covers stripped out on me during the maiden flight from the"Oliver Birthing Facility." Just the doing a routine torque check. See attached photo with my replacement. 

Oliver Wheel Lug Nuts With Markup.jpg

• Like 6

I had some split/cracked 2 piece clad lug nuts as well.   I just replaced all of my lug nuts with solid one piece Gorilla lug nuts from Summit Racing.  I don’t think the new ones actually seat any deeper into the rim.  The conical seating area of the lug nut and rim are the standard 60 degree taper.   It just looks like it seats deeper because the new lug nuts don’t have the stainless steel clad cover that protrudes right at the rim.   And the female thread depth on the new lug nut is more than enough to fully engage all of the male threads on the lug.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/gor-41187htb

• Thanks 1
  • Like 6

Thanks guys!  I'm 5 hours into my trip and lug nuts are staying tight at 90#  Checked at 50 miles and 100.

• Like 6

2020 Toyota Tundra TRD Sport 5.7L V8 

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II  Hull #184 ~ "ILOVHER"

• 1 year later...

@csevel Hope you're doing well.  I'm not sure if you made it to the Guntersville rally or not. I was there, but way too many new names to keep track of.

I replaced my lug nuts tonight and also discovered SIX cracked lug nut shields on the Oliver-provided lug nuts from 2016, only five pictured.

I found this info out at the rally.  I should have seen your posting first though.  LOL

lug-nuts-cracked.jpg

• Wow 3

Chris
2016 Legacy Elite II  o--o  Hull #110 o--o  Wayfinder  o--o  Twin Bed  o--o  2020 RAM 1500 Limited 5.7L 
Augusta, Georgia

18 minutes ago, Wayfinder said:

@csevel Hope you're doing well.  I'm not sure if you made it to the Guntersville rally or not. I was there, but way too many new names to keep track of.

I replaced my lug nuts tonight and also discovered SIX cracked lug nut shields on the Oliver-provided lug nuts from 2016, only five pictured.

I found this info out at the rally.  I should have seen your posting first though.  LOL

lug-nuts-cracked.jpg

@Wayfinder

What do you plan to replace yours with?

Patriot🇺🇸

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor 

IMG_2879.jpeg

@PatriotI already replaced most of them. I didn't realized until I started putting them on that I only ordered a 20 piece set, but needed 24 nuts.  I'll get more a my local auto store tomorrow.

Shop around for some better quality than I got, but here is the size.

24 count  1.38 inch Chrome 1/2-20 Closed End Bulge Acorn Lug Nuts - Cone Seat - 19mm Hex Wheel Lug Nut

How about these: 

https://www.amazon.com/Chrome-Closed-Bulge-Acorn-Wheel/dp/B07SLDRL14

• Like 6

Chris
2016 Legacy Elite II  o--o  Hull #110 o--o  Wayfinder  o--o  Twin Bed  o--o  2020 RAM 1500 Limited 5.7L 
Augusta, Georgia

• Moderators

When I replaced the ones that were rusting on my Ollie I went with stainless steel like THESE.

However, even though there has been no problem with the ones I bought, if I replace them again I would most likely purchase solid stainless steel nuts,

Bill

• Thanks 2
  • Like 3

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

12 hours ago, Patriot said:

What do you plan to replace yours with?

I found a good selection at Summit Racing - THESE look really nice and they are $10 for a set of 4 so you would need 6 packs of them to complete your trailer.

Brian

• Thanks 1
  • Like 4

• Moderator+

These are the best deal I found and it took me a couple of years to find them. They are solid stainless steel. No outer sheath.  Seat is perfect and they look great. $3.67 each. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 5
  • Care 1

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

21 hours ago, Brian and Brandelyne said:

I found a good selection at Summit Racing - THESE look really nice and they are $10 for a set of 4 so you would need 6 packs of them to complete your trailer.

Brian

@Brian and Brandelyne:  Good choice, IMO.  We took your suggestion and replaced our cracked nuts with these a couple weeks ago - stayed tight after a 1400-mile R/T adventure...  These have a very nice finish and seem to clean-up easily.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

spacer.png

Art, Diane, Oscar & Magnus (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA w/Airlift Load Lifter 5000 kit/2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", 12VDC Starlink kit, 3x Battle Borns; Victron Cerbo GX, SmartShunt, MPPT Solar Controller, & DC-DC Charger; HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

22 hours ago, ScubaRx said:

These are the best deal I found and it took me a couple of years to find them. They are solid stainless steel. No outer sheath.  Seat is perfect and they look great. $3.67 each. 

Pricey but high quality. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Chris
Augusta, Georgia

11 hours ago, Frank C said:

Just a reminder for anyone buying replacement lug nuts.  Make sure you buy the “Bulge Acorn” type for aluminum wheels.   I’ve seen a few owners referencing “Acorn” type as replacements, but the acorn type are for steel wheels and have a smaller conical seating surface compared to the bulge acorn type.  Aluminum wheels are softer metal than steel wheels and the larger bulge acorn type lug nuts provide a greater seating surface to prevent deformation of the aluminum wheel and loosening.  

image.jpeg

Thanks Frank. I did not stress that in my video but I should have. I think I know more about lug nuts than I expected, and much more to learn for sure. Such a simple part, but one which keeps the foundation of a vehicle connected properly. 

Forum contributors are the best.  

• Like 2

Chris
Augusta, Georgia

ScubaRx, are these lug nuts correct for a 2022 LE II? Or does it not matter which model and/or year? Thanks.

• Like 1

2022 Oliver Legacy Elite II, Hull 1242, 9/26/22

Lithium Platinum Power/Solar Package

Tow with Supercrew Cab 2019 F-150 4 x4, 5.0L 4-Valve V8 with 3.73 axle ratio & 157" wheelbase.

F-150 GCWR of 16,900 lbs with maximum load trailer of 11,500 lbs.

• Moderator+
13 hours ago, Gliddenwoods said:

•  

ScubaRx, are these lug nuts correct for a 2022 LE II? Or does it not matter which model and/or year? Thanks.

They should be an exact fit. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

On 5/27/2023 at 1:14 PM, ScubaRx said:

ScubaRX, it's hard to tell from the brief description on the order site, are these nuts bulge acorn style?  My '22 E2 must have aluminum wheels

SOLD:  2021 Elite 2, Twin Bed, Lithium & Solar, 3000W Inverter

SOLD:  2022 Ford F150, 3.5L V6 EcoBoost, 4x4 Supercab, Trailer Tow Package

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I was about to order a set of these stainless steel lug nuts but noticed, at the bottom of the eBay item description, that they are described as Acorn, not Bulge Acorn.

• Trailer Wheel Lug Nut Package: Contains 24 Lug Nuts
  • Composition Type: 100% Solid Stainless Steel
  • Shape: Acorn Style
  • Thread Pattern: 1/2-20 Right Hand
  • Nut Length: 1-9/16" Long
  • Socket/Wrench Size: Standard 13/16" Size

Bob G

Tighten new lug nuts to 90 lbs; correct?

2022 Oliver Legacy Elite II, Hull 1242, 9/26/22

Lithium Platinum Power/Solar Package

Tow with Supercrew Cab 2019 F-150 4 x4, 5.0L 4-Valve V8 with 3.73 axle ratio & 157" wheelbase.

F-150 GCWR of 16,900 lbs with maximum load trailer of 11,500 lbs.

On 8/7/2023 at 2:48 AM, Gliddenwoods said:

Tighten new lug nuts to 90 lbs; correct?

We're using 95lb-ft torque setting on ours...FYI

• Like 1

spacer.png

Art, Diane, Oscar & Magnus (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA w/Airlift Load Lifter 5000 kit/2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", 12VDC Starlink kit, 3x Battle Borns; Victron Cerbo GX, SmartShunt, MPPT Solar Controller, & DC-DC Charger; HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/27/2023 at 11:14 AM, ScubaRx said:

I just got around to doing my annual bearing maintenance and switched out all lug nuts to the ones recommended above by ScubaRx.  They are super high quality and fit perfect.  As a side note, I did not find any cracked sheathing on my old lug nuts.  Likely had to do with spending most of the year out West and use of a 6 point socket.

Thanks Steve!

• Like 4

2021 Elite II, Hull# 898

2018 Toyota Tundra, 2003 Dodge Ram 3500 5.9l SRW

On 5/29/2023 at 6:18 AM, ScubaRx said:

They should be an exact fit. 

They don't look like the bulge acorn style.  I thought that with the aluminum wheels, it's recommended to get the bulge acorn style.

John

John and Debbie, Beaverton, Oregon,  2017 Ford Expedition EL 4x4 3.5 liter Ecoboost, with heavy duty tow package. Hull #1290, twin bed with Truma package (a/c, furnace, hot water heater with electric antifreeze option), lithium pro package, picked up November 7, 2022

spacer.png

On 9/3/2023 at 5:17 PM, John Welte said:

They don't look like the bulge acorn style.  I thought that with the aluminum wheels, it's recommended to get the bulge acorn style.

John

It is recommended to get the bulge acorn style for the aluminum rims.

Chris
Augusta, Georgia

If I did not stress this before.  Ensure you have a reliable torque wrench on your trips, one with a long handle for easy torquing.  That way you can always ensure both the trailer and tow vehicle's lug nuts are as tight as you want them.  I think in this group it sounds like we range from 90 to 110 ft lbs. 

Especially important: IF you decide to change out your lug nuts, take one good trip, say 1 hour or more, and check all lug nuts when you stop.  I found one nut on the trailer that either came lose or I had missed on final inspection.   Inspection of torque should like be done a few times until you KNOW the nuts stay where they should.  We can't get too lazy here, but we will eventually.  We're busy humans.

Safety first! 

• Like 3

Chris
Augusta, Georgia