Generator consideration for the Elite II

Having done a lot of research, I chose the Harbor Freight Predator 3500 over either of the Hondas (2-2200 watt or their 3000 watt).

The Predator 3500 can run everything without hesitation.  The Predator can also be companioned with another 3500 if ever needed (at home for instance) whereby the Honda 3000 cannot be companioned.  The price of the Predator is about 1/3 of the Honda and has proven to be extremely reliable and extremely quiet.  OK, the cons:  It is heavy (about 100 lbs so we leave it in the basket (which I modified).  The Honda has a three year warranty whereby the Predator only has a one year warranty but an additional year can be purchased (fairly cheaply) which provides a new replacement unit if ever required.  If you do a YouTube search you can find truckers who have used the Predators behind their cabs in very harsh conditions for many, many hours and have had really good luck with them.  There are a few things that I would do with a Predator right away though.  Change the oil at about 5 hours, and then again at about 10 hours. After that, change as recommended.  I also replaced the dipstick plug with a magnetic one (about $10 on Amazon).  Finally, get rid of the cheap chinese spark plug and replace with a high quality plug (NGK for instance).  

Not sure about the current Predator 3500 but mine doesn't have a fuel gauge.  If I can find a kit to convert, I will.  In the meantime, I'm going to fill it up and run the trailer with AC on this summer to see how long a tank of fuel actually lasts.  The manual says up to 11 hours but I don't trust that.  I'll report back.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2018 Elite II, Hull #414 (the very last 2018 produced).  Trailer name "2 HOBOS" .   2018 F250 4X4 Crew Cab, 6.7L diesel

13 hours ago, topgun2 said:

Oh ye of little faith.

Not even from Missouri, but until I see something - or have other factual evidence that it exists - I can't be sure it's really there.

I don't doubt the integrity or good intentions of the fine folks in Hohenwald that built our unit - but anybody can goof up and forget something.

At any rate, I just obtained the bits and pieces I need to make the neutral ground bonding plug and I'll try the experiment again. Though needing one seems to be common knowledge among this crowd, this points & condenser guy who still has to convert millimeters to inches to visualize it is still coming up to speed on the systems that make the space age travel trailer of the 21st century tick.

• Like 3

Watching the charge rate @ 400W with the Victron app on our Lithium battery while charging with a 46 pound  Honda EU2000i gen-set. Our Honda gen-set only has a continuous rating of 1600W, even though it's a 2000W gen-set.  A 13.5K AC can use 1400 watts continuously, but (in our case) needs the Microair EZ start unit to start the 13.5K AC compressor.  It would be easy to exceed the continuous rating of smaller gen-sets while charging and running another appliance at the same time.

• Like 1

Bill #75 LE2

On 5/11/2022 at 2:32 PM, garby said:

I have successfully been able to run the AC (without easy start) using my Champion 2500 Dual Fuel generator on propane. It weighs about 40 lbs and is pretty easy to transport in the bed of the truck.

We too use the Champion 2500 dual, but only use it with LP, which makes it an 1850 watts unit.  It runs our AC with soft-start without a problem.  Love it!

Charlie.

ALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMA

Arizona | 2020 Oliver Elite II Twin bed Hull #617 | 2021 Ram 1500 e-Hemi 4x4