Folding E Bikes

We have a Rad-mini and a Rad-mini step-thru. We carry ours in our truck bed in a rack under a topper. When we're not camping and going in our Jeep we fold them and put them in the back of the Jeep. We've been very happy with our purchase of the bikes.

Cindy

59290411-587B-43FE-97BE-153D7150A2AC.jpeg

C9B64DC1-D2FD-4742-BEC1-6F3FD4582A3D.jpeg

870B5B9E-C87E-4337-917E-46DA2292983D.jpeg

573E6FAE-7FD2-445B-81D7-A50EBA79D99C.jpeg

• Like 4

Charlie & Cindy / Cleburne, TX / 2021 Elite II Hull #743 / 2013 Ford F250 Diesel 4WD Supercab

States we've camped in our Oliver:

ALAZLANMTNTXUTsm.jpg

We also have the RAD Mimi folding bike's, first I want to say these ebike's are great and there battery range is outstanding. Ours are around three years old and the only thing we have done is add air to the tires, plus a lubing here and there and adjusting cables, etc. as needed. We first folded the bikes and put them in the bed of our Ram to carry them, but after doing this we found it easier to just lift the bikes in the bed of the Ram and not fold them. I made two bike racks from 2x10's with a motorcycle front tire holder mounted to the front where the bike wheel goes into, this really holds the bike secure, but I do also strap the bikes down for a secure tiedown. I thought I had a pic of this, but I don't, so I will have to take one the next time we load the bikes. We did purchase the Oliver rear bumper for a bike rack, but decided the weight and easy of use didn't work well for us. 

trainman

IMG_0325.JPG

• Like 1

2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.

https://electricbikereview.com/category/folding/

FYI small wheels means a rougher ride (potholes especially) unless you get fat low pressure tires. They make sense if you want to just poke around the campground, but for paved bike trails or streets a full sized model is better.

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

3 hours ago, John E Davies said:

https://electricbikereview.com/category/folding/

FYI small wheels means a rougher ride (potholes especially) unless you get fat low pressure tires. They make sense if you want to just poke around the campground, but for paved bike trails or streets a full sized model is better.

John Davies

Spokane WA

I come from a motorcycle riding background, 50 plus years and most of it off road riding, so the 20" size ebike works well for me. True for some it could be a little intimating by its ride and quicker handling techniques. I did have to school my wife on this size of ebike, so far she has done very will with my instructions, only crashed twice so far. 

trainman 

• Wow 1

I do realize that ebikes are not for everyone, but there are other alternatives to the bicycle and why not go for a scooter. This guy does several videos on his scooter in Texas State Parks as well as other parks. He is at Ray Roberts S P and we also go there two, or three times per year just for the 5 miles of payed trails. trainman 

Be VERY sure you understand the classification system for ebikes and where you can legally ride yours. Most states categorize them and many limit their use, it would be a shame to buy an ebike and then find out that you can't ride it on those bike paths or rail trails. Generally speaking, if it can move without your "pedal assist" it is going to be very restricted. My wife just bought a fast and powerful Class 3 (28 mph) Gazelle Ultimate C380+commuter ebike. Because it has no hand throttle it is legal for many trails that the more basic ones can go. She just has to be careful about keeping the speed down 😉

932762503_ScreenShot2022-05-16at7_53_44AM.thumb.png.475aef9df1c5413fa455645df3b8bf04.png

https://www.juicedbikes.com/blogs/news/e-bike-regulations-by-state

Some rail trails like the wonderful Route of the Hiawatha in Idaho do not permit Class 3 bikes, but in reality there is no way for an inspector to tell a Class 3 from a Class 1.... as long as you don't speed. It isn't stamped or placarded in any way. And that trail does allow Class 2 bikes by special permit, which would be a hassle and there would be no guarantee of being approved. The main intent of limiting power is to reduce damage to soft surfaced paths.

I'm not sure about mobility scooters, I suspect that if YOU are truly ADA handicapped, you could ride it on most paved bike paths. But I would not bet on that. And it would certainly be a whole lot harder to transport when camping.

John Davies
Spokane WA

• Like 3

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• 2 weeks later...

I have never been flagged for riding our ebikes, either on trails, or street riding. Once again if you are riding improperly and doing things wrong then look to get stopped, or even ticketed. Let's face it, the police don't ticket a 77 year rider, just tell then the rules where they are riding. It's true most ebikes are setup from the manufacture to be within the bicycles laws, but some are not, but I doubt if you would ever get stopped if you are riding within the bicycle laws of the area you are ride on. When we first got our ebikes and took them Texas State Parks I asked what the rules were and they had no idea and couldn't say what and ebike was. I would say that riding on city sidewalks would be one place that you might ask and the city police may stop you for that, but once again it's a city, by city thing. Here in Ft. Worth, Texas riding on sidewalks is ok, but if the streets have bicycle lanes then they expect you to ride there. 

trainman

• Like 4

Better watch out for the electric bicycle police…they will come get you and your little dog too!!  😂😂

EFDC1174-7AB5-4DBA-BA16-DBFE9CE43386.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg