Ford F 150 hybrid

LRN

Sorry if this question has been posed.  Couldn’t find a specific answer.  Is anyone towing their Ollie with a Ford 150 3.5 hybrid engine?  If so what kind of mI leave do you get towing and not towing?  Don’t have an Ollie yet but am researching TVs now.  Thanks!

2 hours ago, LRN said:

Is this the eco-Boost, if so check with flyfisher something (others chime in to help my memory), if not eco-Boost sorry pls ignore. 

Maggie & Bryan | Arnegard, ND | 2020 LE II "Twins" Hull #665 | 2021 RAM 2500  6.4L HEMI Gasser  4dr  6.5' bed

ABBCMBNBNTNSONPEQCSKYTALARCTDEFLGAILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMONENHNJNYNCNDOHOKPARISCSDTNTXVTVAWVWIxlg.jpg.d41b39fcf844ad1935d35acdc8a6c203.jpg

I looked at this when I bought our 2021 F150.  Came to the conclusion that, given the very small battery storage of the hybrid, you would probably not see much highway MPG help from the electric motor.  I have not read any reports from actual users as to whether or not my concern is valid.   The hybrid would give you more horsepower but that is kind of unnecessary as the standard 3.5 Ecoburst has more than enough power to handle the Legacy II.

For what it is worth, I get about 11 to 11.5 MPG on average in the mountainous west where I live.  The big tank is a plus and, at the time I was researching this issue, the hybrid had a somewhat smaller tank than my standard FX4 max tow package.

A GREAT truck.  Have been very pleased.  The only downside is that the softer suspension, as compared to 3/4 tons, results in a bit of squat in the stern and some porposing.  A set of air bags cured that issue.

• Like 3

I looked at the F-150 V6 3.5 and the Ram 5.7 V8 Hemi, it was a tossup for me, but went with the Ram in 2019 as it was a totally new vehicle in 2019. The Ram get 13.5 mpg pulling the Elite II so I think I made the correct decision. I personally would not rather get into eco-Boost/hybrid, etc., I feel the cost of repairs/maintaince on down the road will be more expensive. My 1/2 ton Ram with 4X4 does not propose with the Anderson, plus I do not have airbags on the Ram.

trainman 

• Like 4

2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.

I have a 2016 F150 5.0 liter V8 pulling my Elite II with an Anderson sway & equalizer hitch to level out the truck. Just took a trip to NP's in Utah from Spokane WA and averaged 13.5 mpg which included some unhitched mileage. The Anderson hitch also helped with driving in some high winds. The V8 rev's to 3000 to 4000 rpm and pulls hills with no problem. I try to keep my speed at 65 mph or less and I get passed a lot.  

• Like 5

Elite II, Hull #47 |Ford 150, 5.0L

map3.png

Hello LRN,

We have a 2022 Ford F150 Powerboost Hybrid Lariat package, and we picked up our Elite II just two days ago from Hohenwald. Yay! (I'll post in the Delivery day sub-forum soon)

MPG without the trailer, from Denver to Hohenwald, was 20 MPG overall, doing posted speed limits or +5 over.  Usually 80mph in Kansas. Missouri and Tennessee speed limits are lower and we maxed at 70mph, but we also took an alternate path where the speed limits were 50/55/60/65, and we kept at the max speed limits along the route.

MPG with the trailer, from Hohenwald to Atlanta, GA was 12.5 MPG while traveling at posted speed limits, and even as much as 70 mph.  We used the Tow/Haul mode, which is a different engine/transmission profile; holding gears a little longer on acceleration, brake usage prompts the transmission to gear down on declines, no electric motor usage.

The Truck handled very well with the trailer attached and it almost seemed like it wasn't there. No porpoising at all with the Andersen WDH. 

The other reasons why we got the F150 Powerboost hybrid are because I use it to commute to work a few days a week, can fit it in the home garage and the parking garage at work. Plus.. we live at 6200ft elevation, camp even higher, and the turbos make that a breeze. 

Hope this helps!

• Thanks 1
  • Like 6

Paul and Carrie | 2022 Oliver Elite II. "Luna" | 2022 Ford F-150 Powerboost Hybrid Lariat FX4 Max Tow package | Two pups, Ollie and Lincoln

trailer_map.jpeg

LRN,

We pull our LE2 with a '21 F150 Hybrid and are happy with the rig.  We returned yesterday evening from a 6 week tour from here in Tx out to the West coast.  6000+ miles, averaged 13.0 MPG overall, start to finish, including towing miles plus the unhooked sight seeing.  We get 25-26 around town, 24-25 at highway speeds and 11.5-12 pulling the Ollie. 

While we loved the ride and handling of the F150 we did spend 3 unscheduled days in Newport Oregon at the excellent Ford dealer there diagnosing a misfiring problem which turned out to be a spark plug/coil failure.  Who'da thunk a spark plug and a coil have to be overnighted to a Ford dealer.  It's interesting times we live in.  BTW, Newport was an excellent tourist town to be stuck in. 

Also we had 3 instances of what I decided was erroneous error messages where we would see "Hot engine coolant" but after checking the fluids, smell checking under the hood etc we would restart and not get the message for a long time as in 1000+ miles.  None of these events happened during our 108F crossing of the Mojave Desert but temps in the 60's.  Now that we are back home I'll take it back to my local dealer and get them to check it over.

Also we used the generator function on the truck to power the truck a couple of times.  Big plus there.

This was our first extended trip with the Ollie; it is now a full fledged member of the family.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 4

2019 Oliver Legacy Elite II 

2021 F150 PowerBoost Hybrid

2021 Ram eHemi & E2 - We just completed a three week 4500 mile trip from Arizona to Michigan and back...  Had wind everyday!  We got as high as 16.5 one day with tailwinds and as low 11.5 with headwinds - averaged 12.6 overall running mostly 65 mph (some 70 toward the end of the trip as I could tell the barn door was open.)  FYI, we were loaded - took waaaay too much stuff with us.  My bad habit!

Charlie. 

• Like 2

ALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMA

Arizona | 2020 Oliver Elite II Twin bed Hull #617 | 2021 Ram 1500 e-Hemi 4x4

We can't wait for our f 150 hybrid to be delivered!  We bought it because we wanted to use the onboard generator-7.2 KW for boondocking.  Got our Ollie April 29, ordered week before Christmas.  Ordered the truck first week of January-"oh it will take about 10-12 weeks to get here". It is built but waiting on a chip. Slowly going stir crazy not being able to camp-we sold our Casita mid december.

Has anyone else used the onboard generator while boondocking?  How was it?

• 3 weeks later...

I've been looking at the Jeep Gladiator EcoDiesel and ran across this YouTube video, you might watch it. I do like the TLF videos and there road test.  

2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.

• Moderator+
On 5/23/2022 at 2:50 PM, Kathy Tewart said:

We can't wait for our f 150 hybrid to be delivered!  We bought it because we wanted to use the onboard generator-7.2 KW for boondocking.  Got our Ollie April 29, ordered week before Christmas.  Ordered the truck first week of January-"oh it will take about 10-12 weeks to get here". It is built but waiting on a chip. Slowly going stir crazy not being able to camp-we sold our Casita mid december.

Has anyone else used the onboard generator while boondocking?  How was it?

Take a look at this article. Substitute “trailer”every time it says “home.”

https://www.thedrive.com/

• Thanks 1

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

1 hour ago, ScubaRx said:

Take a look at this article. Substitute “trailer”every time it says “home.”

https://www.thedrive.com/

The link is for the site, not an article. Can you be more specific with the link or the title of the article?

John and Jodi

San Antonio, TX

2022 Elite II - Hull #1126 being pulled by a 2022 F-150 Powerboost.

Map Legend: Red - Driven Through; Orange - Stopped In; Blue - Explored Parts; Green - Explored Whole

States 20230917.png

• 1 month later...
On 5/22/2022 at 2:01 PM, MHCamper said:

Hello LRN,

We have a 2022 Ford F150 Powerboost Hybrid Lariat package, and we picked up our Elite II just two days ago from Hohenwald. Yay! (I'll post in the Delivery day sub-forum soon)

MPG without the trailer, from Denver to Hohenwald, was 20 MPG overall, doing posted speed limits or +5 over.  Usually 80mph in Kansas. Missouri and Tennessee speed limits are lower and we maxed at 70mph, but we also took an alternate path where the speed limits were 50/55/60/65, and we kept at the max speed limits along the route.

MPG with the trailer, from Hohenwald to Atlanta, GA was 12.5 MPG while traveling at posted speed limits, and even as much as 70 mph.  We used the Tow/Haul mode, which is a different engine/transmission profile; holding gears a little longer on acceleration, brake usage prompts the transmission to gear down on declines, no electric motor usage.

The Truck handled very well with the trailer attached and it almost seemed like it wasn't there. No porpoising at all with the Andersen WDH. 

The other reasons why we got the F150 Powerboost hybrid are because I use it to commute to work a few days a week, can fit it in the home garage and the parking garage at work. Plus.. we live at 6200ft elevation, camp even higher, and the turbos make that a breeze. 

Hope this helps!

Hey we are looking at a 2022 f150 hybrid powerboost.  Do you know what tow hitch you are pulling with?  Thanks