Newie quetions: Lithium batteries

We have lithium batteries with solar.  Is there any reason I should not "unplug" from my home shore power and just let my solar and lithium run on their own when it is summer time, waiting for our next trip?  We use the AC when parked.  The solar charge controller and Xantrex controller seem to be designed to keep everything in proper order.  Is there any reason for me to check on the status of the system from time to time?  If we get a hot spell, I could see running out of power, and then I can plug in to shore power, and would also plug into shore power two days before a planned trip to get the batteries back to 100%.

It's better to "exercise" the lithium batteries anyway?  Am I thinking right?

dave

TV 2020 Audi Q7, no weight distribution hitch.  Ollie E2, Hull #1081, born April 2022.

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, Dave and Dana said:

It's better to "exercise" the lithium batteries anyway?  Am I thinking right?

I don't own (yet) this type of battery.

But, I did attend the Lithionics presentation last week at our annual Oliver Rally and the presenter often referred to the "guides" that they have published on their website for each of their batteries.  A large array of information is available there to include storage details such as you are interested in.

Go HERE and then scroll down to your specific batteries to get this info.

Bill

• Like 3

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators

Do you mean that you want to run the ac while parked at home, off the battery, and solar?

I think , personally,  that would unnecessarily "cycle" the battery. The lifetime of all batteries are dependent on cycling. "Exercising" is part of cycling. Lithium is not immune. Cycling determines life. Every partial cycle "adds up."

Please excuse me if I'm misunderstanding your question.

But, if it were me, on your situation,   I "think" I'd run the lifepo4  batteries down to recommended storage  state, shut them off, and run a 110 cord for a portable dehumidifier while in storage,  and not deal with ac.  

My husband and I have been talking about all this, recently.  We know we need to replace house batteries in the boat next year. With the many heavy lead acid batteries in the boat house bank. we check fluids, periodically,  and solar runs everything on the boat. We don't ever plug in (and many times, can't. ) But, there are essential systems,  like bilge pumps, that must work 24/7/365, so turning off lithium wouldn't work for us, if bilge pump ran off a lithium bank.  We're probably looking at some kind of hybrid situation, for agm  starter battery, (another agm battery?) bilge pump etc., and lithium for storage (runs everything else. )

One of our friends who works in the marine industry,  and designs systems,  is camping with us this weekend.  I'll see what he has to say for you, and us. 

• Like 4

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Interesting question. Our trailer will also have lithium and solar. Between trips this summer I was planning to set the thermostat on the MaxxAir fan to about 75-80, figure out how to let airflow in without water leakage (going to try making one of those plexiglass window vents someone else invented), and let the solar and batteries do their thing.

I wouldn't leave the A/C on.

• Like 2

Stephanie and Dudley from CT.  2022 LE2, Hull #1150: Eggcelsior.

Tow vehicle: 2016 GMC Sierra 6.0 gas dually 4x4.

Our Oliver journey: Steph and Dud B's RV Screed

Where we've been RVing since 1999:

ALAZCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpg.b96241bad6752dec89d25af6ffbc8d99.jpg

• Moderator+

You should run your A/C off shore power whenever it’s available, not the batteries. They do have a lifetime based on the number of times they have been charged/discharged. 

• Like 4

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

OK, thanks for everyones input and advice.  I'll try to follow the Lithionix recommendations, 

As an aside, it would be nice if the Lithionics battery app could give an alert on my phone that it's time to 50% discharge and then recharge, or other battery maintenance as recommended/needed.

TV 2020 Audi Q7, no weight distribution hitch.  Ollie E2, Hull #1081, born April 2022.

Alerts?  We don't have the Lithionix upgrade.  We have self-installed Battleborn with Victron equipment.  The Victron apps can alert/alarm via software settings.

Charlie.

• Like 1

ALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMA

Arizona | 2020 Oliver Elite II Twin bed Hull #617 | 2021 Ram 1500 e-Hemi 4x4

• Moderators

I haven't read through the Lithionics pages,, so i don't really know. 

For those of you who have lithionics, is this possible?

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

On 5/26/2022 at 4:40 PM, SeaDawg said:

I haven't read through the Lithionics pages,, so i don't really know. 

For those of you who have lithionics, is this possible?

It is not possible to set an alarm that I have seen. That would be handy.  

MaryBeth
Boulder, CO

2022 Elite II #953
TV: 2021 Ford Expedition Max Platinum, Max Tow Package

COKSMONESDTNUTWYmed.jpg