Ceramic coating on a new trailer

John Welte

Hi all,  I did a search on this topic and couldn't find anything,  but has anyone put a ceramic coating on a new trailer?   I would think the prep work is nil as no buffing is required.  Has anyone just bought the material and applied it right out of the can?  Does this make sense?   I have seen some videos of applying it with a rag and wiping it off.  Please direct me to a thread if one exists that has already covered this topic.  Thanks,  John

John and Debbie, Beaverton, Oregon,  2017 Ford Expedition EL 4x4 3.5 liter Ecoboost, with heavy duty tow package. Hull #1290, twin bed with Truma package (a/c, furnace, hot water heater with electric antifreeze option), lithium pro package, picked up November 7, 2022

spacer.png

We're getting hull #996 done by CGI next month in Murfreesboro, TN.  We saw hull# 67 on display at the rally and then made our decision.  We're probably going to do our 2019 Silverado as well.  It's just becoming quite a chore waxing them.  The Casita was a lot easier to do 🙂 

John

• Like 2

Oliver II #996 "Bessie", 2019 Silverado LTZ 5.3, Veterans

https://wenandjohnsadventure.com/

• Moderators

Try looking here, but there are other threads,  scattered.

With a new hull, prep time will probably be less, but still necessary. Need to make sure the mold release agent/wax is gone.

Prep, of course, is a big factor in the process  and price.

• Like 3

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

This highly depends on where you will be storing your trailer.  I have 2 vehicles with Opticoat pro ceramic on them.  My truck lives outside and my wires car lives in the garage.  If you are storing inside then I would say yes to ceramic on the trailer.  If storing outside then I would probably advise against it.  The coating I have is supposed to last "5 years".  Wife's car still looks immaculate, but the horizontal surfaces on my truck (hood and roof) appear to losing there hydrophobic properties after about 1.5 years.  If storing outside I would probably just wax it every 6 months or pay to have it done.  With ceramic if it starts to break down you have to remove it with mechanical means to start over which will add to the expense of maintaining your trailers appearance.  Wax is just wash/polish/wax again to be good as new.

John

• Thanks 1
  • Like 5

John and Kim

2021 GMC Sierra 2500 AT4 6.6L Duramax 11350 GVWR  3048lb Payload

2021 Oliver Elite II.   Hull #887

• Moderator+

@Jps190 I’m not sure I follow your reasoning. It seems basackerds to me. My Elite II is the oldest one on the road. Hull #050. We had never waxed it, washed it a couple of times in the past 10 years. Always stored under cover. Had it ceramic coated and it looks better than the new ones being delivered today. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

16 minutes ago, ScubaRx said:

@Jps190 I’m not sure I follow your reasoning. It seems basackerds to me. My Elite II is the oldest one on the road. Hull #050. We had never waxed it, washed it a couple of times in the past 10 years. Always stored under cover. Had it ceramic coated and it looks better than the new ones being delivered today. 

The truth. 

• Like 1

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

• Moderators
25 minutes ago, ScubaRx said:

I checked out 050 at the rally and it did look good.  Those guys did a good job.  As soon as we’re home for a while, or in Tennessee, I’m going to get my trailer ceramiced too.  Mike

• Like 3

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

29 minutes ago, ScubaRx said:

When did you have the ceramic applied?  10 years ago or recently?  If it was recently then it will obviously look as good or better than new ones.  All fiberglass (Gelcoat)  can be made to look new (within reason). The prepping process assures that the gelcoat will look like new before the coating is applied.  I am talking about the longevity of the coating.  If storing outside in the elements the life of the coating will be drastically reduced as opposed to storing indoors or under cover.  My point was that the value (lifetime) of the coating will be dependent on your storage conditions.  If storing outside uncovered like I do then I personally don't believe it is worth the price.

John

• Like 2

John and Kim

2021 GMC Sierra 2500 AT4 6.6L Duramax 11350 GVWR  3048lb Payload

2021 Oliver Elite II.   Hull #887

• Moderator+

@Mike and CarolIs “ceramiced” even a word?

• Haha 3

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

• Moderator+
Just now, Mike and Carol said:

It is now.  I wasn’t sure how to spell it!

It’s my new word of the day. Now I just need to work it into a conversation. 

• Haha 4

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, ScubaRx said:

It’s my new word of the day. Now I just need to work it into a conversation. 

It’s the past tense of “to ceramic”.  Yesterday, I ceramiced my trailer.  Maybe there should be a “k” in there.  Yesterday, I ceramicked my trailer. 🤓

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

9 minutes ago, Mike and Carol said:

It’s the past tense of “to ceramic”.  Yesterday, I ceramiced my trailer.  Maybe there should be a “k” in there.  Yesterday, I ceramicked my trailer. 🤓

100% total recovery! 👍🏻 😅

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

• Moderators

@Jps190, I'm with you. I'll wait and see.

Our 2008, waxed twice yearly, with quality, uv protection carnuba based wax, still looks great, stored outside 24/7/365. We also wash it frequently, with marine soap.  

My only tangential experience with ceramic coating was my neighbor's 28 ft boat. Took two days to complete. Lasted 2 years in Florida sun and salt spray. Our boats do better/look better than that with twice yearly wax, and far less costly. My neighbor sold the boat, so didn't care. I would.

I'd look for a local mobile detailer if I didn't want to keep up with waxing routines.

Everyone has to follow their gut on this decision.  Either way, if not diy, it's  a high $$$ investment. 

• Like 5

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, SeaDawg said:

Everyone has to follow their gut on this decision.  Either way, if not diy, it's  a high $$$ investment. 

I might pay high $$$ so I can say I ceramicked my trailer.

• Haha 4

5 minutes ago, Mike and Carol said:

I might pay high $$$ so I can say I ceramicked my trailer.

I am a huge fan of Mr. Miyagi.  Wax-on, Wax-off.  Found several tins of the discontinued, 3M Marine Ultra paste wax. Its pretty easy to apply and buffs out nice.  Plus, It gets me ready for the Summer Parade Season with my parade wave (elbow, elbow, wrist, wrist).  🤪

• Love 1
  • Haha 4

2021 Elite II, Hull# 898

2018 Toyota Tundra, 2003 Dodge Ram 3500 5.9l SRW

• Moderators
35 minutes ago, Mountainman198 said:

3M Marine Ultra paste wax. Its pretty easy to apply and buffs out nice.  Plus, It gets me ready for the Summer Parade Season with my parade wave (elbow, elbow, wrist, wrist).  🤪

I'm really missing 3m ultra marine. We've been using a collinite wax. Not as easy,  but great results. 

The good news, collinite gives much more practice on the royal parade wave....

Hope mr. Miyagi approves. Lol.

Screenshot_20220531-190041_Google.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

On 5/30/2022 at 7:22 PM, Mike and Carol said:

The British version is pronounced Sera-Mikkdt

• Haha 2

spacer.png

Albert & Terri Sterns

Paonia, Colorado

Elite II Hull #1125 Standard Floorplan / 2017 Ford F250 gas

16 hours ago, SeaDawg said:

@Jps190, I'm with you. I'll wait and see.

Our 2008, waxed twice yearly, with quality, uv protection carnuba based wax, still looks great, stored outside 24/7/365. We also wash it frequently, with marine soap.  

My only tangential experience with ceramic coating was my neighbor's 28 ft boat. Took two days to complete. Lasted 2 years in Florida sun and salt spray. Our boats do better/look better than that with twice yearly wax, and far less costly. My neighbor sold the boat, so didn't care. I would.

I'd look for a local mobile detailer if I didn't want to keep up with waxing routines.

"Our 2008, waxed twice yearly, with quality, uv protection carnuba based wax, still looks great, stored outside 24/7/365. We also wash it frequently, with marine soap."

What are the names of those two products?   Do you use the clay bar to buff?   I saw that mentioned somewhere on a thread. 

• Like 1

John and Debbie, Beaverton, Oregon,  2017 Ford Expedition EL 4x4 3.5 liter Ecoboost, with heavy duty tow package. Hull #1290, twin bed with Truma package (a/c, furnace, hot water heater with electric antifreeze option), lithium pro package, picked up November 7, 2022

spacer.png

• Moderators

We've never used a clay bar.

We used to use 3m ultra paste wax. Now we use collinite marine paste wax, (#885, Fleetwood, blue and white can) since 3m discontinued the ultra.

West marine boat soap, the pink one .

• Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• Moderators
1 hour ago, John Welte said:

Do you use the clay bar to buff?   I saw that mentioned somewhere on a thread. 

Clay bars don’t really buff anything.  They do the serious cleaning.  After you wash and dry, you spray on a solution (I use a spray quick detailer) for lubrication then rub with the clay and it picks up everything that isn’t supposed to be there leaving a very smooth surface.  Wax is after.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

So, all, what can one expect a detailer to charge for say a wax or a ceramic service?

I live in California, so I'll double yoir figure and tax myself to death.

• Like 1

Dave & Terri Mazone

2022 LII Hull #1019

TV: 2001 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD diesel, Crew Cab (4WD)

Been thinking about the ceramic coating process for Ollie, but decided to follow Bradger's advice in the following thread and purchase a dual action orbital polisher. We have always hand waxed our vehicles, boats, and Ollie. Going to practice on our 2003 Toyota Tacoma with the orbital polisher first, if that works out, the 2022 Tundra is next, and last will be Ollie. Been watching several Youtube videos by Drakes Detailing.

• Like 2

LE2