HOW TO: LED “Light Dims” stickers for those irritating bright lights

My new propane leak detector has a seriously intense green spot that lit up the front half of the cabin at night, plus it created a bunch of green dot reflections. There is no reason for it to be so much like a miniature sun!

C1378BE8-FB3E-4A16-AE51-051E7D0550EA.thumb.jpeg.dc1a36b646590ea85f726f3edaff0ecf.jpeg

I applied a single 1/4” square dim dot on top:

846858C1-FB9D-48D8-9739-84A7F2BEBC61.thumb.jpeg.d313ea065627a940d19ead020e69d1cd.jpeg

Much better, but there is nothing that can be done about the disbursed green glow inside the unit. I added two round dots to my inside-the-window Furion radio antenna to cover that miniature red sun.

0890A035-64FE-48DD-8411-D638EDEC519A.thumb.jpeg.e76f0df64a9356827f5d26cc0cfd9640.jpeg

90C6BC5B-0B86-4C5E-95D8-B462934FA7FC.thumb.jpeg.7f14a201be56a9f86d39ae38d24ac410.jpeg

https://lightdims.com/index.php

Highly recommended to dim your interior! I have to use a sharp knife to pry them up, mine don’t simply peel off. My small pack came with a larger full sheet of material that can be cut to whatever shape you want.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 3
  • Like 7

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators
12 minutes ago, John E Davies said:

new propane leak detector has a seriously intense green spot that lit up the front half of the cabin at night, plus it created a bunch of green dot reflections. There is no reason for it to be so much like a miniature sun!

I agree. Why? Wish they'd all auto dim at night, but the stickers look to be a good help.

My husband is never bothered, but I  am. He says my eyelids must be thin, lol. I hated even the lights on the panel of the previous dometic fridge. I don't know if they woke me up, but they sure kept me awake. I sometimes resorted to a towel over them.

Thanks for the link.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

Shortly after picking up my Ollie, I took it back and asked Service to install an electronic dimmer switch.  It works great but it does nothing to all those LED lights scatter about - the fridge, the radio, the fan (when on), etc.

I did place a small piece of electrical tape over that LED on the TV!

Certainly this "Light Dims" product can help.

Bill

• Like 5

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

This is good news for this lifelong insomniac. Using bits of masking tape is getting old and tacky. Studies may support this desire to sleep in the total dark.

In my forays into astronomy I read that research suggest that the human eye can detect as less than ten photos. What the brain does with that is another matter.

I've also explored dimmer switches for the lights, with no conclusion. A new topic on this would be welcomed.

• Like 2

Jerry & Kathy

2019 LEII Standard #539 + 2019 Tundra Limited 4X4

One slightly off topic comment….. for five camping seasons I have been hating the back lighting on my Furrion radio head. The normal mode is very bright, when I switched it OFF by pressing the POWER button It dimmed a little and showed the time. I have been pulling the circuit breaker for it sometimes….. until I finally read the @#$&* operating manual, a week ago.

4B1597B8-B9AC-4268-B8D8-E272B2931700.thumb.jpeg.e324b573cb4de4f9c7e88e8fc8eba4a7.jpeg

Does a long press sound like a logical design? Not to me. But now the display goes completely black when I turn it off.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 4
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 2

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

9 hours ago, John E Davies said:

But now the display goes completely black when I turn it off.

Wow!  That is Tip of the Month in my opinion.  I was laying in my bunk last night looking at the glowing red power button on that audio system and decided I hated it too.   I just long pressed the power button and….blackness.   Lesson learned,  read the manual.   Thank you JD! 

• Like 4
  • Wow 1

“Ramble” - 2021 Legacy Elite II #797;  2020 Ford F-250

Great idea! A few years ago, while waiting for the Aurora to appear, I covered all those annoying little lights with band aides. It was all we had in the middle of nowhere Canada. 😁

More recently, after a Blue Ghost Firefly tour where you were required to cover your flashlight with red cellophane, I had an aha moment & decided to tone down my LED reading lights with red tail light repair tape. You can still read by them, bugs aren't as attracted to them, & they are less jarring in the middle of the night.

Full confession, I also put the tail light repair tape on the curbside porch lights & LOVED the results. Some may not care for the pinkish glow ... (I'm going to try a different brand of tape next time.)

Chris 

20220528_084849.thumb.jpg.2c9c6faa0a153af46514f25ed0ec8bc5.jpg

• Like 5
Chris & Duke Chadwell
🐾Maddie & Baxter🐾
Elite II Hull 292
2022 F-250 Lariat 7.3 Godzilla 4x4 Lakeland,FL

• Moderators
13 hours ago, Jim and Chris Neuman said:

Would love to hear more about this dimmer switch!  DIY'able?

There are a number of these marine 12 volt dimmer switches available (like THESE on Amazon).

In my 2017 Elite II I had the switch mounted just aft of the secondary set of cabin switches on the curb side above the bed.  My dimmer has a "on/off" button, a "+" and a "-" button (for increasing light or decreasing light).  It has worked great except that it is wired such that ALL lights - both interior and exterior - are dimmed or brightened by this switch.  This means that if I want to have the interior lights dimmed I also get the exterior lights dimmed - such as the courtesy lights outside.  There are times when this is desirable but it would be nice to be able to control these separately.  I'm certain that this means that the dimmer was placed on the main "positive supply" line that runs to the main switch panel near the front door.

Since I had Service do the install I'm not certain as to the way the wiring was done.  However, I doubt very seriously that this was difficult and I do know that there is a main bundle of wires that run under the black mat inside the cubbies that extends from the attic all the way up to the front door.  I would guess that the most difficult part of this install would be to cut the hole for the dimmer - that fiberglass is tough!

I'll post pictures when I get my home computer repaired - hopefully tomorrow.

Bill

note: This dimmer switch does nothing for those LED's that are on the radio, fridge, TV, etc. that JD originally posted about.

Here are those pics:

P1030095.JPG

P1030096.JPG

Edited by topgun2
added detail
  • Like 4

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators
16 minutes ago, ShallowGal said:

I had an aha moment & decided to tone down my LED reading lights with red tail light repair tape. You can still read by them, bugs aren't as attracted to them, & they are less jarring in the middle of the night.

Have you ever tried the amber/yellow film?

35 minutes ago, topgun2 said:

Have you ever tried the amber/yellow film?

Not yet but will, perhaps on the streetside for comparison. Duke will be thrilled. 

Chris & Duke Chadwell
🐾Maddie & Baxter🐾
Elite II Hull 292
2022 F-250 Lariat 7.3 Godzilla 4x4 Lakeland,FL

• Moderators
18 hours ago, John E Davies said:

Does a long press sound like a logical design? Not to me. But now the display goes completely black when I turn it off.

That does make sense to me because of the remote control, which I use quite a bit.  Much like turning a tv on and off by the remote, the tv is always on in the standby mode.  So now I have to ask this question, when you turn the stereo off by a long press of the button on the face plate can you still use the remote to turn it on?

Mossey

• Like 3

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

I replaced our three interior courtesy lights with red ones. There is no white light leaking around the cover like with the colored films. They're almost a drop in replacement, the smaller screws that come with the red lights work better because there is a small difference in the spacing. It helps a lot to preserve night vision and navigating without waking others.

When I went to replace the exterior courtesy lights I found they are riveted so I used this red film for astronomy events.  I've also used this amber film on the upper exterior lights to reduce the brightness and attract fewer insects. The Lamin-X film is thicker and darker and more durable then others I've tried.

I'll post photos when I find them.

• Thanks 2
  • Like 3

Jerry & Kathy

2019 LEII Standard #539 + 2019 Tundra Limited 4X4

10 hours ago, mossemi said:

I have to ask this question, when you turn the stereo off by a long press of the button on the face plate can you still use the remote to turn it on?

Yes, I just tried it.  And, if you long press the remote power button, the display goes dark!

• Thanks 1
  • Like 4
  • Wow 1

“Ramble” - 2021 Legacy Elite II #797;  2020 Ford F-250

On 5/28/2022 at 7:55 AM, ShallowGal said:

I also put the tail light repair tape on the curbside porch lights

Great idea. I'll Look for a different color, tho. 🙂

• Thanks 1

2018 LE2 #333  "the Otter"

2015 Silverado 2500HD

• 3 months later...
On 5/28/2022 at 9:08 AM, topgun2 said:

There are a number of these marine 12 volt dimmer switches available (like THESE on Amazon).

In my 2017 Elite II I had the switch mounted just aft of the secondary set of cabin switches on the curb side above the bed.  My dimmer has a "on/off" button, a "+" and a "-" button (for increasing light or decreasing light).  It has worked great except that it is wired such that ALL lights - both interior and exterior - are dimmed or brightened by this switch.  This means that if I want to have the interior lights dimmed I also get the exterior lights dimmed - such as the courtesy lights outside.  There are times when this is desirable but it would be nice to be able to control these separately.  I'm certain that this means that the dimmer was placed on the main "positive supply" line that runs to the main switch panel near the front door.

Since I had Service do the install I'm not certain as to the way the wiring was done.  However, I doubt very seriously that this was difficult and I do know that there is a main bundle of wires that run under the black mat inside the cubbies that extends from the attic all the way up to the front door.  I would guess that the most difficult part of this install would be to cut the hole for the dimmer - that fiberglass is tough!

I'll post pictures when I get my home computer repaired - hopefully tomorrow.

Bill

note: This dimmer switch does nothing for those LED's that are on the radio, fridge, TV, etc. that JD originally posted about.

Here are those pics:

P1030095.JPG

P1030096.JPG

I bought two of the dimmers you linked to and swapped them for the Porch Light and the Outside Courtesy Light switches.  The dimmer switch requires a ground wire. When I pulled the panel out I found that each switch had its own ground wire.  For the time being I am using a couple of brass washers on the front panel for the switch nut to tighten against.

The dimmers do a great job dimming the outside lights.image.thumb.jpeg.f64c69e6fd4ccf43b1e43f9fe5eb0be8.jpeg

• Like 4

2021 Elite II Twin Bed Hull #1023 - Kimba  | 2015 Ford F-150 XLT 4x4 5.0L V8

• Moderator+
On 5/28/2022 at 7:55 AM, ShallowGal said:

20220528_084849.thumb.jpg.2c9c6faa0a153af46514f25ed0ec8bc5.jpg

It kinda gives a N’awlins red light district vibe to it.

• Haha 1

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

My wife’s new Acura RDX has a crazy bright hi beam indicator, it is simply blinding at night on a deserted road. One would think that the dash programming would dim it when it is really dark outside 😳 I added a single dot over part of the symbol, it should be less bothersome now. If it still is too bright I will remove that and put a bigger dot over the entire symbol.

1000F461-CF4E-4D4B-927B-2B61046FA303.thumb.jpeg.b3210cdf1cd849baf7c68c583fe220fc.jpeg

BFC8D86B-FC5E-4923-9651-82BE5E1C3820.thumb.jpeg.52fa6ac99da46acb2038daccf22e51ff.jpeg

I really like these dots, highly recommended!

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 2