Convection oven, love it or hate it

John Welte

Hi all,  for the cooks among you,  are you happy with the convection oven?   Can you cook with it if you are boondocking with a lithium pro package,  or is it limited to FHU?  My wife wanted some thoughts on it.  Thanks, John

• Like 1

John and Debbie, Beaverton, Oregon,  2017 Ford Expedition EL 4x4 3.5 liter Ecoboost, with heavy duty tow package. Hull #1290, twin bed with Truma package (a/c, furnace, hot water heater with electric antifreeze option), lithium pro package, picked up November 7, 2022

spacer.png

1 hour ago, Steph and Dud B said:

Note that it does take up a bit more counter space than the microwave. That was a factor in our decision.

Did you opt for the standard microwave? 

John and Debbie, Beaverton, Oregon,  2017 Ford Expedition EL 4x4 3.5 liter Ecoboost, with heavy duty tow package. Hull #1290, twin bed with Truma package (a/c, furnace, hot water heater with electric antifreeze option), lithium pro package, picked up November 7, 2022

spacer.png

I am happy with our choice of the convection/microwave oven, although I have not used the convection feature all that much.  Upon heading home to Oregon after picking up the trailer, we stopped in Utah after a 700 plus mile day of towing and I was too tired to even hook up to power.  I only had the basic 4 flooded batteries at the time, but I proceeded to bake a couple of pork chops for a little over a half hour at something like 350 degrees.  Worked well and they were nicely browned and delicious.  With the lithium pro package, you should be able to use the convection oven while boondocking without giving it a second thought.  Just don't use any other power hungry appliances at the same time.  Makes great nachos.

• Like 5

Steve and Lornie

LE II Standard  Hull #657  2004 4Runner 4.7 L V8

Oregon

COIDKSMOORTNUTWYmed.jpg

38 minutes ago, Steph and Dud B said:

Yes, we did. After much discussion.

Was it a hard decision?   I think someone said you lose a little counter space with the convection one.   Do you know how much is lost? 

spacer.png

33 minutes ago, John Welte said:

Was it a hard decision?

Yeah, we discussed it a bit. Steph did want the convection initially, since there's no oven. However, we almost never used the ovens in our previous trailers. The loss of a couple inches of precious counter space and the price tag finally pushed us away from the convection.

• Like 1

Stephanie and Dudley from CT.  2022 LE2, Hull #1150: Eggcelsior.

Tow vehicle: 2016 GMC Sierra 6.0 gas dually 4x4.

Our Oliver journey: Steph and Dud B's RV Screed

Where we've been RVing since 1999:

ALAZCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpg.b96241bad6752dec89d25af6ffbc8d99.jpg

On 5/30/2022 at 1:36 PM, John Welte said:

Was it a hard decision?   I think someone said you lose a little counter space with the convection one.   Do you know how much is lost? 

If you spring for Foy’s replacement top above the fridge, you’ll regain that space easily. 

as far as the convection feature, I’ll report back next week after we spend 10 days boondocking. I have packed frozen cookie dough balls…

• Like 4

MaryBeth
Boulder, CO

2022 Elite II #953
TV: 2021 Ford Expedition Max Platinum, Max Tow Package

COKSMONESDTNUTWYmed.jpg

We use our convection oven at least once or twice during each trip. I love it! We have used it off of solar to cook cinnamon rolls when off grid and had no issues. It took a minute to learn to operate it but once you've done it a couple of times its easy. 

• Like 3

Charlie & Cindy / Cleburne, TX / 2021 Elite II Hull #743 / 2013 Ford F250 Diesel 4WD Supercab

States we've camped in our Oliver:

ALAZLANMTNTXUTsm.jpg

How do you cook at home? Do you frequently use your oven at home? If you do you will like having the convection feature. We spend a lot of time in our EII, and we rarely go to restaurants. That we were ordering the convection / microwave was a given. In the past two weeks I’ve made: Muffins, biscuits, a whole chicken, and a loaf of whole wheat sourdough bread. We use it both on and off grid. 

• Like 4

2021 Oliver Legacy Elite II Hull #845

• Moderators
5 hours ago, Stevon said:

In the past two weeks I’ve made: Muffins, biscuits, a whole chicken, and a loaf of whole wheat sourdough bread

You're making me hungry! 

I'll bet your trailer smells wonderful after baking fresh bread.

What time is lunch? 😆

• Haha 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

We use our convection feature of our oven at home, so going with the convection microwave was an easy choice, even though I mostly cook outside with a small Traeger wood pellet grill or a ginormous Camp Chef system. The Camp Chef system usually wins out due to the versatility.EAD737D1-57D9-4D49-AAC4-0365EFA372A8.thumb.jpeg.81405c765f54333a8bd74530046f08d1.jpeg

6E299495-68FE-4AC9-94D3-222382F32974.jpeg

EB9078DD-4A1D-476D-9526-E29D40D29EBA.jpeg

E45CC7C2-FAF2-4E33-9478-6E7B3301AB1C.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Love 1

2022 Elite II Twin “Katie” Hull 997

2010 Toyota Sequoia 

• Moderators

I'm envious of your pizza oven. From the looks of your pizza, guess you are loving it?

• Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

OK - I can handle the verbiage - BUT - 

The pictures have got to STOP!  It looks soooooo good!

Bill

• Haha 3

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators

It's the second photo that really sparked the little green envy goblin. 

Beautiful location to make a homemade pizza! 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

1 hour ago, SeaDawg said:

From the looks of your pizza, guess you are loving it?

The pizza oven, just wow! It will heat up over 700 degrees, hold the heat, has a good 5” clearance in the center. I’ve got a home-made crust for another pizza going on tonight!

The cedar plank maple-glazed salmon was the envy of the campground, too. I’ve baked cinnamon rolls, a taco ring, crescent rolls, and roasted veggies, as well. The down side is size and weight, but if you want to eat well in camp and have a super useful tool, you can’t go wrong. I also have their huge griddle and a grill box, so the Camp Chef obviously works for me….and to bring this back on topic, the convection oven works great, too! I just enjoy cooking, both at home, and while camping.

• Like 3

2022 Elite II Twin “Katie” Hull 997

2010 Toyota Sequoia 

• Moderators
16 minutes ago, Jstone said:

I just enjoy cooking, both at home, and while camping.

Me, too.  Always looking for new practical tools.

I sometimes miss pizza when camped. Yours looks just amazing. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4