Bathroom Door Question

Not sure how many Olivers are like this, but is the back of your bathroom door grey and basically the back of the mirror? Our is and the material is prone to scratches which then affects the reflective coating of the mirror. Before ours gets to scratch up I have been trying to come up with a way to protect the back of the door. I was thinking of applying something like window film, but not sure it would stick.

Any ideas appreciated.

:D We had given thought to taken door off and leveling so the grey was upright and using an epoxy similiar to Bar Finish like they used to do to old hatch covers to turn into coffee tables....don't know if ya'll old enuff to remember ;) ......but it's clear stuff and you could almost pour it on. Then would be smooth enough for suction cups. A thin waterproof material(like the stuff they use on counter tops) glued on would work also. Would check with a glass/mirror shop to make sure it didn't disolve the silvering on the back of the mirror :o

Regards, Chuck n Geri

• 2 weeks later...

I have considered window film, but I can't get a clear answer about whether or not it would stick to the flat finish on the bact of the mirror. I have ordered a material that has some adhesive on the back and will see how it works. It is actually something for covering your home appliances to make the look like stainless steel. I'll give it shot and post the results.

• 1 month later...

I found a solution that is working pretty well. This adhessive film is used for covering your kitchen appliances to make them look like they are stainless steel. I can't tell for sure, but this is actually suppose to be very thin metal film.

Typically when the film is applied you cut it larger than needed, then trim it to size on the surface it is applied to. I had some concerns about my skills at doing this, so I took a chance at measuring and precutting to size. Applying it already precut meant I had to make sure it was lined up correctly for the full length of the do.

The results look great and the back side of the door is now protected from scratches.

http://www.ezfauxdecor.com/StainlessSteelSoftMetalFilm.html

I used 8 mil security film on my door, seems to be adhering well after a week. Trimming the film is the tricky part, you can't cut against the glass like the instructions say to do or you'll scrape the reflective layer off. I ran a plastic squeegee down the edge under the film with the knife on top trimming the film. This worked well enough, but you can't see exactly where the edge of the mirror is, so you end up trimming in from the edge a bit. The security film is very tough and should give lots of protection to the mirror.