Roof caulking

Hi

We took delivery of our Hull 1120 last week and when we inspected the roof, we noticed that the maxxair fan, bathroom vent and water vent didn’t have Dicor self leveling sealant overlapping the roof and the screws as a secondary protection to prevent water infiltration.  
All the rigs we had before had Dicor as secondary to protect.  
Question: did you add Dicor yourself as secondary protection from water infiltration? If not, did any of you had water infiltration problems?
Thank you!!

Elite2 2022, #1120. RAM 3500 Laramie 2022 diesel SRW

Quebec, Canada

previous rig:  35 foot fifth wheel with Ford f350 2018 diesel DRW 

• Moderators
18 minutes ago, Roger P said:

Question: did you add Dicor yourself as secondary protection from water infiltration? If not, did any of you had water infiltration problems?
Thank you!!

No and no.

Bill

• Like 2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderator+
20 minutes ago, Roger P said:

…All the rigs we had before had Dicor as secondary to protect…

I’m betting that none of your previous rigs were Oliver’s. 

Two Oliver’s, almost 15 years and >150K miles traveling, never a roof leak. 

• Like 2
  • Love 3

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

• Moderators

We don’t have the Dicor sealant.  I’ve never done anything to the seals on the roof.  No leaks in 6 years, nearing 100K miles.  Recaulking is on my to-do list and I’m sure I’ll get around to it sometime in the near future.  If my Hull number was 1120 I wouldn’t be too concerned and I wouldn’t add anything up there.  Mike

• Like 4

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• Moderators

I would not care to have the superfluous dicor everywhere,  as I've seen on so many sob trailers and motorhomes. I think they throw all that crap up there to hide shoddy workmanship. It definitely makes tracing leaks harder, and resealing more difficult,  if there are bulges of sealant, everywhere.

Unlike others, I've had a couple roof leaks,  in 15 seasons. The original dometic ac bolts needed to be retorqued after a year and many miles. Easy fix. 

Then, about a year or two ago, the bath fan leaked. Gasket failure.  Needed reseating. We decided to replace it with a better fan, with a light, and no regrets, rather than reseating an old working  fan. We used butyl tape to bed the new fan, and I love the overhead light in the bath. 

Oliver generally does an amazing job with sealing penetrations, and uses good quality, long life  sealants, imo. 

I'm in my 15th season, and have very few complaints. Two small roof leaks, in over a decade, is pretty good, for me.

We have also had a window sealant leak, and, the third tail light is the biggest culprit.  Ours, I think is forever fixed, imo. 

BUT, hey, my trailer is in its 15th season. But, our boat is in its 44th. We're used to resealing, as necessary. 

• Like 6

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.