Broken Water Inlet (Cat Damage!)

Kiki got a little over-excited yesterday trying to pounce on Cherie, and her leash wrapped around our water filter and managed to exert enough leverage to snap the end of our water hose right off our trailer, causing quite the spectacular fountain. I never would have thought such a maneuver was possible, but she is a pretty talented cat.

Looking closer - the fitting on the end of the city water hookup inlet that spins to lock on a hose has been broken off.

How hard is this to fix? Will I need to pop the rivets to dismantle the entire fixture to be able to slide on a new end piece? Any other ideas?

Picture attached, and advice appreciated...

- Chris

PS: Speaking of rivets, one of the rivets that secures our door hold-open hook has fallen out. How can I best fix this?

Chris,

Last summer, our city water inlet broke in exactly the same fashion, and without the aid of a talented cat! It just broke on it own while we at the fiberglass RV rally in Bandon, Oregon. It made quite a water show. As you no doubt have observed, the metal holding the water hose attachment fitting is very thin.

I contacted Robert at Oliver about this, and he sent me another complete unit. I was able to repair our inlet without replacing the whole unit: Using a hex key (1/2 inch, I believe), I was able to unscrew and remove the brass insert, which carries the hose attachment fitting and to replace it with the same part from the unit that Robert sent me. This brass insert is only about 9/16 inch deep. It was not necessary to remove the rest of the fixture, so I didn't need to do any riveting.

This turned out to be a surprisingly quick fix, once I had the new part and the large hex key.

Hope this helps,

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Steve --

It does indeed sound like an easy fix, if only I can find the part. I've tried Lowe's, Home Depot, and Camping World. No one seems to have any idea where to get the right fixture. Camping World suggested ripping out the whole thing and installing one of their crappy plastic water inlets.

I am going to try calling the factory to see if I can find where to get the right part, but any tips you (or anyone else) might have are appreciated.

Also - do you happen to remember what size hex key you needed?

Thanks for the help!!

- Chris

• Moderator+

Chris,

Fixing the water inlet problem should be easy after finding the right parts/tools. As far as the hex wrench problem goes, if you can't find a half inch allen wrench, just use a hex-head bolt that fits into the opening and a pair of vice grips to turn it with. Crude, but it will work. I googled and found several things that might work if you can't get an original from the factory.

http://shop.torresen.com/ships_store/in ... 2110&frm=g

(probably a good match)

http://www.outerbanksoutfitters.com/pro ... 818549.htm

(looks the same--more money)

Hope this helps,

Steve

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

Chris,

I have a spare that the factory sent if you can't find one, if you stop by I also have a key that will remove it.

It is a Sea-Dog 512110 if you want to source it from someplace else.

Actually, it is probably the 513110, which is the stainless, not chrome plated version. I would actually bet that's the one.

http://www.google.com/products?q=sea-dog+513110